What's the minimum return for which you'd trade Komarov at the deadline?

edwardslane

Aug 6, 2010
Leads his team in hits and goals?? Who was last to do this on the leafs? Wendel clark?

Even if he settles out at 25-30 goals and is a league leader in hits.. That's a rare combination that i don't think a Mid first can replace. Question is how long can he maintain this level of play..if he's a flash in the pan, obviously we should have traded him now. If he continues this type of play for 3-4 more years i think we keep him especially at a 3 million cap hit..

He's being paid as a 3rd liner and bringing top 6 offense with bottom 6 intangibles! Guy is killing it. Babcock knows how to utilize players to their strengths.

Very hard to gauge what he's worth. Value is much easier to determine when a player is consistent over X years.. You know what you're getting so to speak. In this case Komorov while he's always been valuable for what he brings, this new found offense from getting a top 6 opportunity really increases his value.. But only if he can keep this level of play up for an extended period.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
No team that isn't in a solid spot by the deadline is giving up their first for Komarov despite his season so far. I'm happy most (55% currently) of the posters here recognize that and voted accordingly. Whether or not I would do that, I am not sure, but that is the decision management will have to make. If it's top 10 they immediately drive him to the airport and mail his luggage later.

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
A late second is hardly worth it, and, the ufa pool might have a few players available but that's not a guarantee that the Leafs will get one, and certainly not for cheaper.

Nothing wrong with seeing what you could get for him but he could probably fetch a late second in his last year and provide the Leafs with some valuable play in the interim.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Any late 2nd rounder or better, and I'd move him in a heartbeat.

He offers nothing that you can't find, for cheaper, from the UFA pool every year.

Just out of curiosity, who was available with similar impact the last two years that was cheaper? Closest comparable I can think of was Kulemin and he signed for a lot more. And with Komorav's play last season (pre injury) and this season he is far more valuable than Kulemin.

Not saying you are wrong, but I can't think of anyone signed as UFA less than 2.95 aav that has more impact on the game.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
A mid-first is quite honestly not even worth it (15-20) .. but I'd do it because of the situation we're in. The guy is an absolute winner with a beautiful work ethic. That kind of thing is contagious and having him in the system for a couple years will affect the organization as a whole.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
I don't trade him. Our rebuild isn't going to be strip the cupboards bare and teach the young guns on the fly. We are going to ensure the pro squad is insulated with professional and hard working players.

Hunwick and Komarov are both players I want insulating the Nylander, Marner, Dermotts of the pool.

A middling pick isn't worth the professionalism and work ethic these guys will instill on our top prospects.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
A mid-first is quite honestly not even worth it (15-20) .. but I'd do it because of the situation we're in. The guy is an absolute winner with a beautiful work ethic. That kind of thing is contagious and having him in the system for a couple years will affect the organization as a whole.

Yea if someone offers the #15-#20 overall, you take it and laugh all the way to the bank.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Yea if someone offers the #15-#20 overall, you take it and laugh all the way to the bank.

I understand that way of thinking but I don't fully agree with it. A 15-20th pick is not even close to a guarantee, and there's a good chance that pick won't even play in the NHL.

Meanwhile Komarov to a team that is close to winning the cup, could be the x factor. His energy, abilities, and attitude might take a team like Dallas all the way. He also has a great contract. There's a reason Finland was so high on him in the Olympics and there's a reason many of us here are so high on him. The guy plays the same hard way regardless of the score, situation, etc. He is amazing. He's also 28, so he has plenty of good years left in him.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I understand that way of thinking but I don't fully agree with it. A 15-20th pick is not even close to a guarantee, and there's a good chance that pick won't even play in the NHL.

Meanwhile Komarov to a team that is close to winning the cup, could be the x factor. His energy, abilities, and attitude might take a team like Dallas all the way. He also has a great contract. There's a reason Finland was so high on him in the Olympics and there's a reason many of us here are so high on him. The guy plays the same hard way regardless of the score, situation, etc. He is amazing. He's also 28, so he has plenty of good years left in him.

A 15-20th pick is not even close to a guarantee, agreed. Just by the numbers, most players picked in that range won't hit top 6/top4 levels.

But Komarov is not a guarantee either. Saying he could be that X factor is just the same as saying 15th OA could be the next Karlsson. Odds are it's not. Most teams, even very good teams, do not win the cup.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Just out of curiosity, who was available with similar impact the last two years that was cheaper? Closest comparable I can think of was Kulemin and he signed for a lot more. And with Komorav's play last season (pre injury) and this season he is far more valuable than Kulemin.

Not saying you are wrong, but I can't think of anyone signed as UFA less than 2.95 aav that has more impact on the game.

it's not about what he's signed for and who can have more impact on the game. His value is sky high right now so as a rebuilding team...the smart thing would be to capitalize on an asset. He's having a career year, his highest goal total before this season was with Dynamo Moscow in 2010-2011...what he brings you can get something similar every single year on the UFA market. Keeping him because he's potting in way more goals and has an insane shooting percentage through the first 3 months of the season is dumb. Congrats for him for having this type of year so far, but I expect him to fall right back to where he was last year and throughout his career. These first 3 months have been an illusion to what Komarov really is and if a team is willing to give up a 1st for him then we gotta do it.

His highest point total in his career is 34, he's already at 24. Maybe after all these years he's found something in his game? Who knows, personally I doubt it, at 28 I think he's been playing the same way but having way more success this year than in any other at capitalizing on chances. He's been the right man at the right spot a lot of the time. This is the type of season we want from our older players during a rebuilding season. Buy low, sell high.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

I agree with this.

The thing is, the Leafs are trying to build an actual team, not a fantasy team.

On an actual team they need actual players with actual work-ethics and values.

On a fantasy team all they need is a bunch of numbers and projections.

It's like the difference between Detroit and Edmonton.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I agree with this.

Beautiful. Not a fantasy team, want to be more like Detroit than Edmonton. Two sound reasons to keep the player.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I agree with this.

Komarov is not the only plaer that can teach young kids - by all accounts Winnik is a fantastic character guy to have in the dressingroom and he was a low cost free agents - tons of quality character guys are available for cheap every year.

I just don't buy the argument that it's integral that he team keeps Leo for youth development. Any dressing room run by Mike Babcock will have a good work ethic and character.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'd like to see you explain this further.

Bottom 6 player with grit that can chip in some offense, show good leadership, that can be signed for cheap under 30 years old?

The free agent pool is full of them every year.

I don't think his offense is sustainable. That's what is clouding judgment for a lot of people here; they think that a 28 year old playing in just his second season in the NHL has just morphed into a 30 goal / 50 point guy.

I don't think Leo Komarov is a 30 goal / 50 point guy, in much the same way I didn't think Nikolai Kulemin was a 30 goal guy despite many people saying the same thing about him here.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
it's not about what he's signed for and who can have more impact on the game. His value is sky high right now so as a rebuilding team...the smart thing would be to capitalize on an asset. He's having a career year, his highest goal total before this season was with Dynamo Moscow in 2010-2011...what he brings you can get something similar every single year on the UFA market. Keeping him because he's potting in way more goals and has an insane shooting percentage through the first 3 months of the season is dumb. Congrats for him for having this type of year so far, but I expect him to fall right back to where he was last year and throughout his career. These first 3 months have been an illusion to what Komarov really is and if a team is willing to give up a 1st for him then we gotta do it.

His highest point total in his career is 34, he's already at 24. Maybe after all these years he's found something in his game? Who knows, personally I doubt it, at 28 I think he's been playing the same way but having way more success this year than in any other at capitalizing on chances. He's been the right man at the right spot a lot of the time. This is the type of season we want from our older players during a rebuilding season. Buy low, sell high.

Sure, I understand the logic. Works specifically well in the stock market, however we are talking about building a competitive team. There are many paths to developing this, many people think rebuild as in CHI/EDM/NYI route that is sell everything.

That being said, there is a developmental aspect of rebuilding that is often forgotten. The Leafs brought in two key guys that share this philosophy. This rebuild isn't about sell high, so much as its put the right people in the right places for those coming through the system.

The team culture needs to change, and Komarov is a big part of that - as mentioned by many teammates and Babcock.

I could care less of the stats right now, it's about having players that make others around them accountable and spark some energy.

A middling 1st is far from a gaurentee. What we do know is that Leo brings it every shift, you want a guy like that with all the youth coming through. I value that far more than what another team would be willing to part for him.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Bottom 6 player with grit that can chip in some offense, show good leadership, that can be signed for cheap under 30 years old?

The free agent pool is full of them every year.

I don't think his offense is sustainable. That's what is clouding judgment for a lot of people here; they think that a 28 year old playing in just his second season in the NHL has just morphed into a 30 goal / 50 point guy.

I don't think Leo Komarov is a 30 goal / 50 point guy, in much the same way I didn't think Nikolai Kulemin was a 30 goal guy despite many people saying the same thing about him here.

You said cheaper. I still can't think of anyone that brings Komarov's skill set that has been UFA. Closest I could think of was Kulemin and he got 4+ mil aav.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad