Speculation: What would it take for NJ to get Quinn?

rea

Feb 8, 2011
What the actual f*** is your problem? The guy who mentioned Hischier was a Habs fan originally that I responded back to, first off. Second off, I know chances are low for Quinn to come to NJ and they aren’t going to trade a newly minted captain to do that which was my original point. They would probably trade other pieces to ensure that.

My problem is exactly how u are responding. First, it didn't matter who u responded to, it's how you responded. Again this post which we are talking in, is comprised of devils fanbase asking Canucks fanbase what it would take. U responded to an ask like a child. Its irrelevant who posted the ask. It's an answer to the question coming from your fans.

Now I explained in my post why this was a problem and even went as far as to call out Canucks fanbase and all fanbase of doing the same. Don't expect the answer u want to hear.

So how do u respond? You start off responding like a child and cussing like this is an attack on you and your manhood when you could have calmly stated the end of your reasoning like an adult.

Don't take it personal. This is a post to everyone who responds in kind. And it goes both ways. If a Canucks fan made a post asking what it'd take to get Jack n Luke from NJ and u said, bo ep, and I snarkily respond LOL you want us to give you our capt and best player for the holy trinity, well what does that do? It devolves this whole debate into a cluster f*** of f*** btwn 2 fanbases and no answers and everyone looks f***ing stupid don't u think?

Now that that's done, back on topic, yes if i am to be asked, and your team wanted to get our hughes, our ask prob would start at Nico, because I don't want your teams scraps or a mish mash of picks and support players when our team doesn't need to trade him, nor do we want to. That is all thanks!

Reactions: Tempo

Dural

Jul 1, 2013
If I were an NHL player, having to spend all my professional time (plus personal time on road trips) with my siblings sounds like it would get old pretty fast. Plus there's the issue of team showers and picking up puck bunnies, both of which I imagine would be awkward with your brother around.

But in terms of what it would take, how about Quinn + OEL for Smith? I'm sure Jimbo can toss in as many 2nd's as the NHL will allow. This is what it has come to, we'll just keep giving away prime assets to undo contract damage.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
If we’re being honest, I much rather have Boeser than Quinn via a trade right now since our wings are in need of boosting and you guys just traded for Garland. But maybe something around Ty Smith + prospect + picks? Smith would probably be redundant if Quinn was being shipped over here in a trade.

Smith makes sense. He hits me as sort of a "Quinn lite", in all due respect.

That said, even with Hughes gone, our right side is weaker than our left. Severson would have to be included in any package going our way to move the needle if I'm being realistic.

As far as Boeser goes, we're really not looking to move him. For the first time in forever the Canucks finally have a pretty kickass looking top six, and if we're considering what Buchnevich fetched as the price for a young, top line winger, I just don't think it would be worth it for us to move Boes, and I doubt you'd want to pay what we'd be asking, which would be a lot more than what Buch fetched.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You're all wrong. The Hughes brothers are all simultaneously going to get homesick and take discounts to come back to Michigan. So will Werenski. Then they'll convince Connor and York and friends.

The 2028 Detroit Red Wings are just going to be the Michigan Wolverines. /s

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Quinn won’t reach UFA. If Vancouver knows they won’t be able to re-sign him to another contract then they’ll trade him. They won’t just let a high talent player like Hughes walk for nothing

I know. I'm just saying I don't see the Devils paying what it takes for an 'unavailable' player, so they'll wait for free agency and if Quinn wants to leave he can leave or if he doesn't he doesn't.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Luke is probably at least 2 years away from joining Jack on the Devils so there's no rush on any of this.

See how things play out the next few seasons in Vancouver - they seem to be in a win now mode, having no 1st or 2nd round picks last year, no 1st, 3rd or 4th round picks this year and already having traded away their 2nd & 3rd rounders next season...not to mention taking on a 30-year old OEL and most of his high cap hit for the next 6 seasons. If things start to get ugly in Vancouver in a few seasons as Quinn is approaching UFA then I could see something happening. Can't see the Devils having any interest in any of the overpayment scenarios being mentioned with Smith+ or Nico+.

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Smith makes sense. He hits me as sort of a "Quinn lite", in all due respect.

That said, even with Hughes gone, our right side is weaker than our left. Severson would have to be included in any package going our way to move the needle if I'm being realistic.

As far as Boeser goes, we're really not looking to move him. For the first time in forever the Canucks finally have a pretty kickass looking top six, and if we're considering what Buchnevich fetched as the price for a young, top line winger, I just don't think it would be worth it for us to move Boes, and I doubt you'd want to pay what we'd be asking, which would be a lot more than what Buch fetched.

Fair at the bolded, Smith might still be our PP1 guy even with the addition of Luke because Smith is better offensively but Hughes is gonna be better defensively imo. The thing with Severson is I’m not sure what he does, he’s been stuck in our rebuild for better than half a decade that if he leaves it’s gonna be through UFA. He has two years left at a reasonable price and if the Devils move on from him it’ll be at the deadline or a move that nets a player consistent with the timeline. I wouldn’t be opposed to moving him for Quinn at all actually since we can then flip Smith to RD. But our RHD would be in utter shambles if Smith becomes RHD1 as well. Fair points on Boeser.

Reactions: 48MPHSlapShot

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
E7JN9mxXoAIdkuY

Look at how happy Jack & Luke are in their Devils jerseys compared to Quinn.

Only a matter of time before he asks for a trade to NJ...

:sarcasm:

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
E7JN9mxXoAIdkuY

Nah. Luke and Jack are thrilled because they get to look at Quinn's beautiful Canucks jersey, while Quinn is annoyed because he has to look at Luke and Jack's scuzzy old Jersey....jerseys.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
E7JN9mxXoAIdkuY

That's a lot of punchable faces. Could you imagine facing all three of these guys at the same time? It would drive you mad. Then think that a future U.S. national team could ice the three Hughes bros and the two Tkachuk bros at the same time.....it would be the apocalypse

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
One of the most toxic thread I've seen here this far. All because of a theoretical question about a player.
Pretty weird that this isn't shut down already.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So this thread is a shame. Shame on NJ fans for tormenting the VAN fans. Haven’t we learned anything from the NYR fans giving us a hard time? And shame on VAN fans for crapping on an entire state and showing insecurity and proving the point the snarky NJ fans were making. The reality is that none of us know how Quinn may view any of this. Further what makes anyone think that NJ wants to turn the team over to the Hughes family? Assume Luke hits as a player. How much would be tied up in salary to those three? I don’t see any of them taking a discount. There is also Ty Smith as Jack’s buddy who NJ is going to want to retain (Jack has already talked about needing a three bedroom place for Smith to live with Jack and Ty). Quinn seems somewhat redundant on a defense with Smith and Luke. Then there is the timing. Luke will likely spend two years in college. Maybe he’s in the NHL after that or maybe spends a season in the AHL? That’s an eternity from now in sports time. The whole thing is overblown and unnecessary. Hopefully the mods can shut this down and both NJ and VAN fans can realize that as small market fans they have much more in common in terms of who they root for and it’s the big market franchises that crow about how great they are with little to show for it that we should save our vitriol for.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don’t think Quinn wants out.

Imagine going from living in Vancouver to living in New Jersey.
It doesn’t have anything to do with land masses, Quinn hasn’t expressed in interest in leaving.

These players are currently 21, 20 and 17 years old and if some people from both fanbases (or from any other fanbase) are going to continue to be stupid, trollish, delusional, or simply won’t shut up about the brother thing everyone is going to get real sick of the Hughes even before Luke starts college much less before he makes the NHL. (Note: I’m already sick of this.)

I’m not suggesting the poster I’m responding to is doing much wrong in this particular post (other that the random cheap catty remark about NJ), I just used it as jumping off point to complain about how annoying all this is.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
People are delusional if they don’t think the Hughes brothers don’t want to play together

it will happen when Quinn Hughes first chance a UFA

Reactions: BigDevs93

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Lmao. “Obvious he wants out”. He’s not going anywhere , Canuck for life. If you want me to play along try Smith+Holtz to get the conversation started so aka not happening

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
This thread blows. Why make enemies when you can be friends and have healthy competition. Could Hughes go to NJ in the future? Sure. But we don’t know how either Vancouver or NJ will look by that time and in reverse one or both of the Hughes brother may join Vancouver or all three could leave for another team. There’s no writing on the wall here.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Endorse this thread given the 394892 awful trade "offers" proposed on these boards ahead of Jack's draft by Canucks fans. Skate is now on the other foot :popcorn:

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
Quinn isn't going to be a full on UFA for many years. Either he signs a long term contract for close to the league max term that does take him to free agency, or he signs a bridge deal in which his rights will still belong to us by the end of it.

This talk of "We'll just sign him as a UFA" is beyond stupid. If you want him, pay up.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Quinn isn't going to be a full on UFA for many years. Either he signs a long term contract for close to the league max term that does take him to free agency, or he signs a bridge deal in which his rights will still belong to us by the end of it.

This talk of "We'll just sign him as a UFA" is beyond stupid. If you want him, pay up.

That’s the thing. I doubt most NJ fans want him. That’s why you aren’t seeing any actual trade discussion. I’m sure some do want to add Quinn but a lot of this is just snark and pointless.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
That’s the thing. I doubt most NJ fans want him. That’s why you aren’t seeing any actual trade discussion. I’m sure some do want to add Quinn but a lot of this is just snark and pointless.
It does seem kinda redundant with Smith already there.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad