Speculation: What would it take for NJ to get Quinn?

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
The obsession of both teams fans are ridiculous, Quinn isn’t going to NJ any time soon, Jack and Luke aren’t going to Vancouver any time soon.
Brothers are allowed to play in the NHL and be on different teams

Agreed. Felt bad for Quinn after Luke was drafted (still happy about our pick though). You can tell by the questions he was asked by the media there was a 'seed' trying to be planted where all 3 brothers find their way to NJ.

I'll get Furio right now
You got a bee on your hat!

Reactions: Nicomo Cosca

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Ty Smith++. Canucks have every right to ask for overpayment for the “brothers” factor.

Maybe PK Subban at 50% retention + Wedgewood for Holtby. PK might not be the 2010’s PK but he can still eat minutes. Probably a little more coming from NJ. Maybe they can pay a pick/prospect to Seattle/AZ to make Subban 75% discounted (third party team retaining 2.25m).

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Again, I'm not an expert but any stretch but could Luke just go to college and never sign with the devils? Then he'd be a free agent in 4 years and be free to go anywhere

If he wanted to not get paid for 4 years, potentially. The goal is for the brothers to play together. Going the NCAA route means 4 more years of Luke not playing with any brother. Then, you have to get Jack out of New Jersey. It would be a much longer, expensive, and more complicated process than Quinn simply forcing a trade in a few years.

Once again, not stating that it's likely, but Quinn can force a trade out of Vancouver by stating that he has no intention of re-signing there into his UFA years.

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Ty Smith++. Canucks have every right to ask for overpayment for the “brothers” factor.

Maybe PK Subban at 50% retention + Wedgewood for Holtby. PK might not be the 2010’s PK but he can still eat minutes. Probably a little more coming from NJ. Maybe they can pay a pick/prospect to Seattle/AZ to make Subban 75% discounted (third party team retaining 2.25m).

Subban at 50% retention actually has some value - Holtby is awful with a $4.3M cap hit. Vancouver would have to attach a nice sweetener to move that contract.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Again, I'm not an expert but any stretch but could Luke just go to college and never sign with the devils? Then he'd be a free agent in 4 years and be free to go anywhere

Why would he do that exactly and lose a good chunk of money in the process by delaying the start of his ELC?

Does he supposedly like Quinn better than Jack?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Subban at 50% retention actually has some value - Holtby is awful with a $4.3M cap hit. Vancouver would have to attach a nice sweetener to move that contract.
That’s the thing though, Q. Hughes > Smith as of right now. That’s why Vancouver is getting PK at 50%.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Not now for Quinn, let Quinn put the 'Nucks in a position to sell at a discount. Quinn has FA time on his side, and Luke will be here in 2 years.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Boeser did outscore Hirschier by 4x last year...

All the risk is on the Canucks so of course they would want the 1sts.
hischier's contract runs for 6 more years at 7.25m. retaining 3.6m for 6 years is a no-go. i wouldn't even do hischier @ 50% for quinn hughes one for one. resigning quinn for 6 years would probably cost 7+m. considering the hischier retention the total ticket would be north of 11m per year for q. hughes. hischier @ 3.6 m or q. hughes @ 11 m and i am already out of the deal.

you have zero clue about the value of your proposal.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Blows my mind seeing people still suggesting that Quinn will hit FA. No, he will not. The GM of Vancouver will not let a talent like that just walk for nothing.

If no deal can get done, he will be traded. Of NJ wants him, they’ll have to pay.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
He also played 3x as many games because Nico broke his leg and then got Covid

but other than that!!!

Our whole team was shut down due to Covid concerns (thanks, Gaudette!).

4x as many points in 3x as many games using one of the same excuses is still leaning towards Boeser though.

Nov 1, 2011
He also played 3x as many games because Nico broke his leg and then got Covid

but other than that!!!

I'm not arguing that I don't want Nico at all, obviously I put him in for a reason.

That being said, is your argument for his value that he broke his leg and got COVID the year after signing a long-term deal, so he should have more value?

Nico's stats since he signed his new contract:
2019-20New Jersey DevilsNHL58142236
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2020-21New Jersey DevilsNHL21 6 5 11
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Brock's stats over the same time:
2019-20Vancouver CanucksNHL57 162945
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2020-21Vancouver CanucksNHL56232649
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I was trying to give NJD something the stuff they wanted (Q. Hughes, a top line scoring winger, and an experienced backup) in exchange for futures + assets they could sell to make it look like it's not a rebuild.

It's clear that NJD fans don't see Nico as a reclamation project but at this point but his contract could either be good, okay or really really terrible.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Blows my mind seeing people still suggesting that Quinn will hit FA. No, he will not. The GM of Vancouver will not let a talent like that just walk for nothing.

If no deal can get done, he will be traded. Of NJ wants him, they’ll have to pay.

Theoretically – if the plan is for NJ to wait until Quinn reaches unrestricted free agency to sign him and Quinn plans to be a UFA as soon as possible, whether he spends the next 5 seasons as a Canuck or traded to another team prior to then is completely irrelevant to the Devils.

So, no – nothing changes and NJ doesn’t have to pay.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Canucks have absolutely no reason to deal Hughes. He is trending to be the most dynamic D we have ever had, and is not even 22 yet. The weird HF brother connection doesn't change that. It would be a huge cost to get him for the Devils.

Severson
Holtz
2022 1st
B prospect

Canucks would need a piece to help them now, as well as future pieces to replace Hughes down the road.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
how close is Quinn to meet the games played threshold for offer sheet? Just wondering if the Pandemic shortened seasons helped the Canucks in this way.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
You're all wrong. The Hughes brothers are all simultaneously going to get homesick and take discounts to come back to Michigan. So will Werenski. Then they'll convince Connor and York and friends.

The 2028 Detroit Red Wings are just going to be the Michigan Wolverines. /s

I disagree, Toronto is the centre of the universe and the law of gravitational attraction means that everyone will sign in Toronto

Reactions: FooteBahl

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Canucks have absolutely no reason to deal Hughes. He is trending to be the most dynamic D we have ever had, and is not even 22 yet. The weird HF brother connection doesn't change that. It would be a huge cost to get him for the Devils.

Severson
Holtz
2022 1st
B prospect

Canucks would need a piece to help them now, as well as future pieces to replace Hughes down the road.

Finally an actual proposal instead of pages of trash talking.

I think we need another roster player, a prospect like Foote, and another conditional first.
Vancouver and throw back some B level prospects as well.

I don't want to do the trade, but if the demand is there, there can be a deal I think. But Devils won't like it.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Finally an actual proposal instead of pages of trash talking.

I think we need another roster player, a prospect like Foote, and another conditional first.
Vancouver and throw back some B level prospects as well.

I don't want to do the trade, but if the demand is there, there can be a deal I think. But Devils won't like it.

I was looking at Bahl and Foote as the B level prospects who could be included. If we could get Severson, Bahl/Foote, Holtz, 2022 1st, I think I'd probably pull the trigger. With that said, I doubt NJ would. That deal is on the furthest edge of reasonable.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
They should trade for Jack Quinn and Quinn Hughes. Jack to Quinn to Jack Quinn back to Jack. Imagine it
Yes plus the "other " Jack Hughes that is draft eligible next year....
Quinn Hughes to Jack to Jack Quinn to Jack Hughes , the other Jack Hughes , I mean Jack 2 ,err to Hughes , Luke that is... F it, i give up.

Now all we would need is to find a player named Luke Quinn . I dont care if he can hardly skate. I would sign him to a one game contract and throw him out with the goalie pulled with Jack Hughes , the other Jack Hughes , Jack Quinn , Quin Hughes , Luke Hughes , then Luke Quinn .

Reactions: MichaelFarrell

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I was looking at Bahl and Foote as the B level prospects who could be included. If we could get Severson, Bahl/Foote, Holtz, 2022 1st, I think I'd probably pull the trigger. With that said, I doubt NJ would. That deal is on the furthest edge of reasonable.

It depends where the request comes from.

Whether it's from Quinn, or if it's from Devils.

If the Devils want Quinn to secure all three Hughes brothers for life, they might be willing to open up the cupboard and let Benning take whatever he wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->