What will the Avalanche do at 2?

Sitch

Sponsor
Jul 11, 2009
Texas
It realluy doesn't matter what they do, the Avs need help in just about every category (Goaltending, a 2nd line center, top 4 defenceman, playmakers, powerplay quaterback ) whoever they pick I doubt he'll make any immediate impact

What? The only thing that you listed that the Avs actually need is a goalie. We have Stastny, Duchene, and O'Reilly down the middle, so the center situation is set for the foreseeable future. Playmaking isn't a problem. If anything, we have too many playmakers/pass-first type players and need a good "finisher." Liles and EJ are fine powerplay quarterbacks, and though it hasn't been tested, a top-4 of Quincey-EJ/Liles-O'Byrne seems fine to me (at least from a re-building/developing together standpoint).

What the Avs need is depth on the wings/defense and goaltending.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

I've only seen Landy a handful of times, and never live. But, I have seen McNeill a dozen times live this year.

McNeill definitely doesn't have the goal scoring instincts and abilities that Lando has. Mark is a pass first player and has great vision, but he isn't a high end goal scorer. An ok shot, but not great.

McNeill is also known to be a "power forward", but from what I have seen Lando is MUCH more aggressive all over the ice and throws the body much much more.

McNeill is the better skater though, IMO.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
It realluy doesn't matter what they do, the Avs need help in just about every category (Goaltending, a 2nd line center, top 4 defenceman, playmakers, powerplay quaterback ) whoever they pick I doubt he'll make any immediate impact

If you don't know anything about the team and the players in their system, maybe save yourself the ribbing and don't post.

The only thing on that list the Avs need is a goalie, and even there they have a number of solid prospects turning the corner here in regards to development.

And you are also wrong in regards to "immediate impact"....both Larsson and Landeskog will be NHLers next season, regardless of who picks them....

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!

Goaltending:
Win!

2nd line center:

Roster:

Stastny, RoR and Duchene if he isn't moved to wing.

Prospect:

Hishon is also a natural center and led the OHL in PPG this season.

Top 4 Dman:
- EJ
- Quincey (injured for majority of the year)
- Liles

and tho most Avs fans will tell you Ryan O'B. I wouldn't. I agree with you that the Avs need another player in the top 4. I'd hope for someone like Jovo, Markov, or Pitkanen during the offseason but won't happen.

Playmakers
See centers.

PP QB​
On Roster: EJ and Liles

In the minors: Stefan Elliott (led WHL dman in goals/points nominated for WHL dman of the year), Tyson Barrie (led WHL dman in points last season and was WHL dman last season in nominated again this season), Joel Chouinard (had injury filled season with monsters but had decent offensive numbers and led the QMJHL in points for dman in his final year).

I give you 2/5. Good for ignorant post. :facepalm:

They had a good team, great players, despite the bad year, a good coaching (Sacco proved to be a great coach for a young team, and he managed to obtain a great output of depth players), they are making good moves, only a few improvements and they would be up again. Maybe i had an optimistic point of view, it's possible, but i don't see Colorado in a Rebuilding. Only a bad step, like New Jersey for example.

I agree till here. The Avs have talent from drafting. They were always able to pump out some "solid depth players" regardless of who was coaching (Svatos, Cumiskey, Jones, Finger (before toronto of course) are examples of players that had great output. Obviously some haven't had the same success since).

Sacco doesn't have a system. Injuries? Sure. But only for so long. Its not injuries that effect us as a team to get set up and have solid defensive pairings and system.

Everything else, I give you 4.8/5. Good for great post. :handclap:

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Not necessarily, when fully healthy the Avalanche have at least passable wing depth, if not above average.
Passable at best. Above average is a bit of a reach.

I think Landeskog has to be the pick unless Edmonton grabs him first. We have too many injury prone wingers and having a big body playing next to Stastny should help him put his horrible season behind him.

I think if RNH is on the board, the Avs will draft him and eventually move Stastny for defense/wing assets when RNH is ready to be a top 2 center.
I think the Avs will move 1 or 2 of Duchene, O'Reilly, RNH (assuming the Avs were to get him) or Hishon to Wing before they trade Stastny.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
As for the topic itself: Gabriel Landeskog! Take Seimens with their 11th. But its the Avs. They some times take character over skill (Bournival over Pulli) but skill over size (Hishon over Watson, Bujdstad, Watson). Go figure eh?

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
Seeing how much wing Duchene played the last 1/4 of the season I could see him moving to one, if only for the Avs to pick a Center. Too much speculation at this point to pick lines or anything, I just want draft day to come and go so we can get a good idea of the roster next year. Hoping Mueller and Flash are healthy too. This is giving me a headache.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
Yeah Colorado isn't really rebuilding. The core is in place with Stastny, Duchene, EJ, O'Reilly and all the other young guys. They just need some veterans and a damn goalie.

I'd go with Larsson just because the thought of EJ and Larsson both panning out makes me drool.

I won't mind Landeskog though as it seems as though he can make an immediate impact.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
I still think there's a better chance Edmonton takes Larsson.

The Avs have always been successful down the middle (Sakic-Forsberg-Yelle-Blake-Foote-Bourque-Roy) and that's how they'll build this new team. If Larsson's available, they take him.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The wise choice would be Larsson. "Need" never trumps "Best Available" at the draft table. Needs can always be tweaked via the trade route. IF all available players in this draft reach their ceiling, Larsson will end up the very best. You are talking about a cornerstone defenseman with offensive gifts. If RNH reaches his absolute peak, you have Patrick Kane/Brad Richards. If Landeskog reaches his, you have Brenden Morrow/Keith Tkachuk. But if Larsson reaches his, you have Chris Pronger/Rob Blake. The Avs would be foolish to pass on a horse like Larsson if he is there at 2.

maple8

Dec 28, 2009
Seeing how much wing Duchene played the last 1/4 of the season I could see him moving to one, if only for the Avs to pick a Center. Too much speculation at this point to pick lines or anything, I just want draft day to come and go so we can get a good idea of the roster next year. Hoping Mueller and Flash are healthy too. This is giving me a headache.

I really hope Duchene doesn't move to wing full time, I thought he was disappointing there and so much better at center.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007

Duchene wont move to wing full time, injuries forced him sacco to try and make 1 good line.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
If Larsson is there, you take him, no question about it. He's the best player in this draft.

Larsson available: Larsson, then one of McNeil, Saad, Bartschi or Zibenjad

Larsson not available: Landeskog, then maybe Musil or Siemens

Either one of those scenarios would be really nice for the Avalanche

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Would you take Markstrom and a second round pick for your second overall?

It's going to be a while before another goalie is picked in the top 3 or something. That said, trading a goalie to get into the top 3 won't really work either.

Can't believe anyone wants to go with Landeskog over Larsson in Colorado. They have needs everywhere, take the kid that's too good for junior hockey already, and good enough to log top pairing minutes in the SEL finals. Not rocket science. A pairing like EJ and Larsson is championship caliber, and you aren't even missing the center. You have 11th overall to address a linemate.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
It's going to be a while before another goalie is picked in the top 3 or something. That said, trading a goalie to get into the top 3 won't really work either.

Can't believe anyone wants to go with Landeskog over Larsson in Colorado. They have needs everywhere, take the kid that's too good for junior hockey already, and good enough to log top pairing minutes in the SEL finals. Not rocket science. A pairing like EJ and Larsson is championship caliber, and you aren't even missing the center. You have 11th overall to address a linemate.

I agree. Our needs are a goalie, a top 4 dman, and a big winger.

Goalie: Not gonna be fixed through draft.
Winger: Landeskog
Top 4 Dman: Larsson

I think Larsson is the best player available that would fill our needs. I just hope Edmonton doesn't pick him at #1 overall.

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
How can a team as talented as the Avs are finish with the 2nd worst record in the league?

asmodeanreborn

Jun 14, 2010
Longmont, CO
How can a team as talented as the Avs are finish with the 2nd worst record in the league?
Seems like every single player outside of Duchene, Winnik, and the goalies went down with freak injuries or concussions at some point in the season. I imagine that would plague a team's confidence quite a bit, in addition to the actual loss of the players, that is.

I believe we dressed 18 different defensemen this season, and close to 40 different players total. Also, the team doesn't know how to play consistent defense.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Avs don't need a centre but if the Oilers don't take RNH at one and they take Larsson then I'd go with RNH as much as I love Landeskog. RNH would be a gem imo and I don't know what will happen in terms of our centres, maybe one of them is moved to the wing (Duchene showed that he can play there) or Stastny is traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad