What will the Avalanche do at 2?

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I agree. Our needs are a goalie, a top 4 dman, and a big winger.

Goalie: Not gonna be fixed through draft.
Winger: Landeskog
Top 4 Dman: Larsson

I think Larsson is the best player available that would fill our needs. I just hope Edmonton doesn't pick him at #1 overall.

Even if they take Larsson, which I don't think they will, RNH and Duchene down the middle along with EJ already is Cup caliber. Teams that win Cups are usually real strong down the middle and on the back end. I wouldn't use a top 5 pick on a power forward by need unless you've already got franchise center and defense corps set. Center and defense are the two hardest places to fill...fill those spots the best you can, when you can, and the wing is easier to address with those spots already filled properly. Centers generally make their wingers better, not the other way around. Defense makes everyone look better.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
How can a team as talented as the Avs are finish with the 2nd worst record in the league?

Same way a team with St. Louis, Stamkos, and Lecavalier did it. Bad coaching, goaltending, and defense.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Even if they take Larsson, which I don't think they will, RNH and Duchene down the middle along with EJ already is Cup caliber. Teams that win Cups are usually real strong down the middle and on the back end. I wouldn't use a top 5 pick on a power forward by need unless you've already got franchise center and defense corps set. Center and defense are the two hardest places to fill...fill those spots the best you can, when you can, and the wing is easier to address with those spots already filled properly. Centers generally make their wingers better, not the other way around. Defense makes everyone look better.

But the avs already have Stastny and Duchene in the ways of center. Adding Larsson fills their d needs completely. At that point, getting a goalie is the only need for this team. Having power forwards is more of a luxury than a need. And as you said, its much easier to fill the winger position than the d position. I really think the avs are set. If larsson gets picked first, then the avs should wait for the phone to ring and see whos interested in picking up RNH. We could probably get 2 very good assets for a team looking for a top center.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
But the avs already have Stastny and Duchene in the ways of center. Adding Larsson fills their d needs completely. At that point, getting a goalie is the only need for this team. Having power forwards is more of a luxury than a need. And as you said, its much easier to fill the winger position than the d position. I really think the avs are set. If larsson gets picked first, then the avs should wait for the phone to ring and see whos interested in picking up RNH. We could probably get 2 very good assets for a team looking for a top center.

Colorado could seriously consider taking Hamilton if Larsson is already taken, or even if he isn't. Hamilton is very young, big, and extremely talented, very intelligent with a lot of upside.

goblinmedics

Jun 21, 2009
Colorado could seriously consider taking Hamilton if Larsson is already taken, or even if he isn't. Hamilton is very young, big, and extremely talented, very intelligent with a lot of upside.

At #2, really? I'd be trading down if I wanted Hamilton.

Unless you already meant trading down, in which case I agree.

The other thing to consider is Siemens, who may be available at the #11 spot.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

They need forward prospects...

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Larsson seems to make the most sense, both in terms of position and the fact that he's been rated 1 or 2 overall in this darft for the last 2 years.

With that said, I personally have a feeling they'll go with Landeskog here instead.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
It's been a hot topic on the Avs board since Colorado started dumping in their bed's at the start of the new year. It went from, "Hey, we might have a shot at Strome" to "Hey, we might be able to crack to the top 4" to "Hey, we might have a chance at Nugent-Hopkins".

The way things stand now, they are picking 2nd. I (along with about 90 percent of people out there) think that RNH is a lock to go to the Oil at 1st overall.

Since when is RNH the consensus No 1 pick? I'd rather expect that to be Larsson.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I think Larsson makes the most sense.

While it's true that we traded away Stewie, this is a team that was first in the NHL in offense before the injuries and big slide before Christmas. We also missed Mueller the entire year, had Fleischmann go down for the rest of the season when he was absolutely on fire, and Stastny had the worst season of his career. Those three, alongside Hejduk, Jones, Duchene, O'Reilly, and potentially Joey Hishon cracking the team next year, gives us a pretty good offense.

I think it's "easier" to acquire a winger than it is to get a potential franchise defenseman. The opportunity to have two, big, skilled D in EJ and Larsson, along with our offensive prospects in Stefan Elliott and Tyson Barrie, really makes it too interesting to pass up.

Also, with the #11, we could move it for one of these highly touted goalie prospects around the league. Less risky than moving the #2. If we don't want to do that, I'm sure we can still draft a decent winger at #11.

Larsson just seems like the way to go for me.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Since when is RNH the consensus No 1 pick? I'd rather expect that to be Larsson.

Ummm...since he is ranked 1st by basically every scouting organization out there.................

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

Hamilton is definitely a great prospect, but i wouldnt consider taking him at #2. If Larsson goes, you have to go with RNH or Landeskog. I would never consider not taking anyone out of those 3 with the #2 pick. At #11, hamilton will most likely be gone. Siemens MAY still be there, but its still a longshot.

The avs needs right still are another top all around dman, and a big winger. So it really comes down to preference. If i were to ask you...

Would you prefer

Larsson + Zibanejad/Armia/McNeill

OR

Landeskog + Siemens/Beaulieu

LandesGod

Feb 14, 2009
Hamilton is definitely a great prospect, but i wouldnt consider taking him at #2. If Larsson goes, you have to go with RNH or Landeskog. I would never consider not taking anyone out of those 3 with the #2 pick. At #11, hamilton will most likely be gone. Siemens MAY still be there, but its still a longshot.

The avs needs right still are another top all around dman, and a big winger. So it really comes down to preference. If i were to ask you...

Would you prefer

Larsson + Zibanejad/Armia/McNeill

OR

Landeskog + Siemens/Beaulieu

I think id like Larsson + Zibanejad/Armia/McNeill.
Were getting close to being a competitive team year in/year out and siemens/beauliieu will take longer to develop than the forwards will. Also top tier dmen are harder to come by through trade or FA.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Really? Who else than ISS? Been moving house for the last couple of weeks, might have missed something.

Bob Mackenzie scouts poll had him at #1 with 6 of 10 votes(2 for Larsson and 2 for Landeskog)

Central Scouting also had him #1

The only list I haven't seen him #1 in recent memory was Redline Report which had him #2 behind Landeskog.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

Ummm...since he is ranked 1st by basically every scouting organization out there.................

Really? Who else than ISS? Been moving house for the last couple of weeks, might have missed something.

Bob Mackenzie scouts poll had him at #1 with 6 of 10 votes(2 for Larsson and 2 for Landeskog)

Central Scouting also had him #1

The only list I haven't seen him #1 in recent memory was Redline Report which had him #2 behind Landeskog.

That is correct, he is #1 on every list except RLR now. Definitely the consensus #1 right now.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
by the way here is an argument for Landeskog over Larsson

Top Scoring Defensemen 2011

1. Visnovsky -4th round
2. Lidstrom - 3rd round
3. Yandle - 4th round
4. Byfuglien - 8th round
5. Wisniewsk - 5th round
6. Enstrom - 8th round
7. Ehrhoff - 4th round
8. Boyle - Free Agent
9. Letang - 3rd round
10. Weber - 2nd Round

Top Scoring Forwards 2011

1. Sedin - 1st round
2. St Louis - FA
3. Perry - 1st round
4. Sedin - 1st round
5. Stamkos - 1st round
6. Iginla - 1st round
7. Ovechkin - 1st round
8. Selanne - 1st round
9. Zetterberg - 7th round
10. Richards - 3rd round

You look at both lists there is not 1 first rounder on the defenseman side, while there is 7 first rounders(and 4 top 3 picks) on the forward side.

Basically my point is it's much easier to find "hidden gems" in later rounds for defensemen then it is for forwards. I think if somebody did a bigger list of the top 20 rated forwards/defensemen/goalies you would see there is more 2nd and later picks for defensemen(and even more so for goalies) lists then forwards. All that being said the argument is a moot point if the defenseman is just that good(Pronger, Doughty) but if it's really close it's something to think about(especially with Colorado picking 11th and 32nd)

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

1. Visnovsky -4th round
2. Lidstrom - 3rd round
3. Yandle - 4th round
4. Byfuglien - 8th round
5. Wisniewsk - 5th round
6. Enstrom - 8th round
7. Ehrhoff - 4th round
8. Boyle - Free Agent
9. Letang - 3rd round
10. Weber - 2nd Round

1. Sedin - 1st round
2. St Louis - FA
3. Perry - 1st round
4. Sedin - 1st round
5. Stamkos - 1st round
6. Iginla - 1st round
7. Ovechkin - 1st round
8. Selanne - 1st round
10. Richards - 3rd round

You look at both lists there is not 1 first rounder on the defenseman side, while there is 7 first rounders(and 4 top 3 picks) on the forward side.

Basically my point is it's much easier to find "hidden gems" in later rounds for defensemen then it is for forwards. I think if somebody did a bigger list of the top 20 rated forwards/defensemen/goalies you would see there is more 2nd and later picks for defensemen(and even more so for goalies) lists then forwards. All that being said the argument is a moot point if the defenseman is just that good(Pronger, Doughty) but if it's really close it's something to think about(especially with Colorado picking 11th and 32nd)

Didn't Colorado give up the 32nd in the same trade that brought them the 11th?

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

1. Visnovsky -4th round
2. Lidstrom - 3rd round
3. Yandle - 4th round
4. Byfuglien - 8th round
5. Wisniewsk - 5th round
6. Enstrom - 8th round
7. Ehrhoff - 4th round
8. Boyle - Free Agent
9. Letang - 3rd round
10. Weber - 2nd Round

1. Sedin - 1st round
2. St Louis - FA
3. Perry - 1st round
4. Sedin - 1st round
5. Stamkos - 1st round
6. Iginla - 1st round
7. Ovechkin - 1st round
8. Selanne - 1st round
10. Richards - 3rd round

In this case the defensemen probably is that good, and the offensive upside of the forward in question is questionable...there's actually a decent chance a forward taken in the 4-6 rounds this year outscores Landeskog. If Colorado took a forward at 11, there's a decent chance that player would outscore Landeskog.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
I do not think that means what you think it means.

From merriamwebster.com:

Consensus: a : general agreement : unanimity <the consensus of their opinion, based on reports … from the border — John Hersey>

b : the judgment arrived at by most of those concerned <the consensus was to go ahead>

To reach a consensus, you only need a majority, not necessarily unanimity.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga

1. Visnovsky -4th round
2. Lidstrom - 3rd round
3. Yandle - 4th round
4. Byfuglien - 8th round
5. Wisniewsk - 5th round
6. Enstrom - 8th round
7. Ehrhoff - 4th round
8. Boyle - Free Agent
9. Letang - 3rd round
10. Weber - 2nd Round
This is actually a really good post, and while I agree with your premise it looks like you're looking at it very selectively. Those are top scoring, but not necessarily the top 10 defenseman in the league. You've got to remember a defenseman's job is both offense and defense so looking at a top 10 scoring list is not a sufficient way to judge talent. I'll 10 more defenseman who would factor in somewhere in a top 20 and displace a bunch of those you listed overall. (Byfuglien, Wisniewski..etc).

Chris Pronger (2nd overall)
Mike Green (29th overall)
Zdeno Chara (56th overall)
Drew Doughty (2nd overall)
Ryan Suter (7th overall)
Jack Johnson (3rd overall)
Duncan Keith (54th overall)
Brent Seabrook (14th overall)
Brent Burns (20th overall)
Marc Staal (12th overall)

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Not necessarily, when fully healthy the Avalanche have at least passable wing depth, if not above average.

I don't know, but "passable wing depth when fully healthy" looks like weak wing depth to me.

Add it to the fact that they've really got no reasonably promising wingers in their system makes it even more obvious that their wing depth is weak.

Gabriel Landeskog it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad