What will the Avalanche do at 2?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
It's been a hot topic on the Avs board since Colorado started dumping in their bed's at the start of the new year. It went from, "Hey, we might have a shot at Strome" to "Hey, we might be able to crack to the top 4" to "Hey, we might have a chance at Nugent-Hopkins".

The way things stand now, they are picking 2nd. I (along with about 90 percent of people out there) think that RNH is a lock to go to the Oil at 1st overall.

That leaves the Avs with 3 or 4 players to choose from in my mind:

1. Adam Larsson - Big, slick, two way defender. Will provide (at the very least) a very solid option in the teams top 4 on the blueline for the next 10+ years. Might be tough to pass up someone more offensively gifted like a Huberdeau or even someone like Strome, but base your team around Erik Johnson and Adam Larsson is a pretty big starting point.

There is also the argument that the Avs have really not lacked the ability to score goals when fully healthy, possibly making the need to draft a defenseman that much more apparent.

2. Gabriel Landeskog - Kid that does it all. Scores, hits, fights, leads. A total package, even if some wonder how well his offensive game will translate. Does he become a 55 point NHLer or an 80 point NHLer? That's the big question.

He would be able to step in and provide immediate size and grit that the Avalanche have lacked since the rebuild started. Some say he might replace what the team traded in Chris Stewart.

3. Jonathan Huberdeau - One of the biggest risers for a reason. Provides the option of playing LW and C and could be the most offensively gifted player in the draft outside of RNH. He may not have as much grit as someone like Landeskog, but he does play with an edge to his game.

He won't likely step straight into the NHL like the two players listed above him. But, the Avs will likely be fine to wait for the player that some compare to Simon Gagne in his prime.

4. Sean Couturier
- SC has NHL size and is a great all round player. Provides an offensive touch and the ability to play a shutdown game if that's what's needed. Has been in the spot light for over 2 years now leading up to 2011 and might be suffering from over-exposure by now.

This one is the least likely to happen out of the 4 in my opinion. I know people say not to draft for need, rather take the best player available, but the Avs are truly set down the middle for the next decade or more. There is the outside chance they draft Couturier, the center, because they feel he is too good to pass up. Who knows?

There are obviously other options out there as well, like trading the pick, somehow getting RNH, drafting someone like Strome, Hamilton or Murphy...but I just don't see that happening.

In my eyes the Avs will get one of the top 3 players I listed. So, what do you think they do?

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
It would be pretty interesting if the Avs took Larsson 2nd (assuming the Oilers take RNH first). Both teams are in the same division so having RNH vs Larsson 6 times a year would be pretty entertaining.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Imagine if the Oilers take Larsson instead of RNH, it gets even more interesting. Would be a classic case of ''do you take the BPA even though you have similar assets (Duchene and Stastny) already in place?''

Sizemore24*

Avs don't like to draft euros who play in europe. So for me Larsson is out of the question.

They love those Q guy, so SC or Huberdeau is my pick.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Imagine if the Oilers take Larsson instead of RNH, it gets even more interesting. Would be a classic case of ''do you take the BPA even though you have similar assets (Duchene and Stastny) already in place?''

Colorado took Hishon last year even though center was the position of least need then like it is now, so I would say that if RNH is available when the Avs pick, they will not hesitate to take him if they think he is the BPA.

To the OP, I think they take Larsson in the scenario that you proposed. As a Colorado fan, I'd be happy with any of the first 3 that you named. I don't think they take Couturier, to me it doesn't seem like he will fit the uptempo style of the team very well.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
i'd be quite happy with either Larsson or Landeskog.

would go with Larsson.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Avs don't like to draft euros who play in europe. So for me Larsson is out of the question.

They love those Q guy, so SC or Huberdeau is my pick.

In the past five years the Avs have drafted four players from the QMJHL. They only hold the rights to one of those draftees as of today. :help:

Thanks Hek, was about to fill him in.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Take Landeskog at #2 then a Dman at #11.

There are quite a few Dmen in the top rankings but the offensive players drop off rather quick from A level to B level.

You guys are set at center, a wing shure would be nice considering Hejduk isnt getting younger.

Althoug I can understand the temptation of having EJ and Larsson in your top 4 for years to come. Having the #11 pick afords you guys the luxury of picking close to any dman you want outside of Larsson considering the other guys who go #3 -#10.

Zaphod

Mar 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
If Larsson isn't there, it does get quite interesting.

Plenty of time left for Huberdeau to keep making his case, that much is certain.

Phenom97

Feb 27, 2011
Canada
Guaranteed Larsson, when the Avs were healthy they were #1 in the NHL in goals. They added EJ now they add a Larsson and it will make them a really solid team. Just need to get a decent goalie next.

Zaphod

Mar 24, 2008
Victoria, BC

There are quite a few Dmen in the top rankings but the offensive players drop off rather quick from A level to B level.

You guys are set at center, a wing shure would be nice considering Hejduk isnt getting younger.

Althoug I can understand the temptation of having EJ and Larsson in your top 4 for years to come. Having the #11 pick afords you guys the luxury of picking close to any dman you want outside of Larsson considering the other guys who go #3 -#10.

I suppose that's a good consideration. If the Avs scouts believe the difference between one of the top forwards and who's left at 11 (Saad? ugh.) is greater than the difference between Larsson and the Siemens/Murphy group...

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I'd still go Larsson but there may be some value in picking a winger there and getting Siemens with the other pick

that's what I'm thinking as well, especially if Siemens looks to be available around the 11 spot

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The avalanche have never drafted defense, I think they go with Courtier.

Not sure if serious, but the avs have drafted Shattenkirk, Elliot, Barrie, Gaunce, Williams and Rutkowski all in the last few drafts.

Anyway Larsson for me

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Take Larsson. BPA and fills a need. There are some good forwards around 11th, like Mcneill or Zibanejad who I'd be more than happy to see the Avs take. I think the Avs are better at scouting and developing forwards, so take the can't miss D prospect and then choose a forward with the next pick when there's a little more guesswork to be done.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don’t think the #1 pick is so cut and dry as you’re making it out to be, and it’s laughable to say that there’s a 90% consensus that RNH is going first, if that were the case we wouldn’t be seeing everyone claiming there’s only a little separating the top 4.

Edmonton already has its franchise forward in Hall, plus the supporting core of Eberle, Paajarvi, Gagner, Omark, and Hemsky means the offence talent and depth is fine; It the bottom 6 that needs work.

On the back end is a different story, Whitney has shown in his time in Edmonton that he can be a #1, but beyond that there isn’t a ton. Smid, Gilbert, and Peckham round out the proven NHL talent and they’re 3-5 guys; the immediate step in prospects are Petry, Teubert, Plante, Chorney and they don’t track to be any better than 2nd-3rd pairing guys too. Marincin has a shot at top pairing ability, plus he’s still early in his progress.

Larrson fills a massive need with the team; and I think the Oilers, for better or worse, still hold out some hope for Gagner, remember it only 3 years ago when the team had him on the draft stage making the Eberle selection.

On the topic at hand I'd say it's safe to say the Avs will take a Swede with their top pick, as they're completely set at centre for the next few years with Duchene, Stastny, O'Reilly, and McClement.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
They will walk up to the podium with smug looks on their faces and then select, from the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League, David Musil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad