What will the Avalanche do at 2?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The Avs should take Larsson because he's the consensus BPA at no.2. The value of a franchise D-man also outweighs that of a winger. And Landeskog doesn't really impress me because he physically dominates his opponents to score goals but I don't believe that will translate so well to the NHL.

As for PP time and pairings, who cares? As it is, EJ, Mueller, Liles, Elliot, Barrie....thats a cluster**** at PP QB. Larsson just gives more options.

And Larsson ideally should provide less offense more more poise in the defensive zone. If EJ is our new Blake, Larsson can be a Bourque...not as flashy and offensive, but just better everywhere. I don't see EJ and Larsson as pairing up. For now, the D would look like this:

Quincey - EJ
Liles - Larsson
Elliot/Barrie - OByrne

But is he the Avs BPA at 2? Who knows? And to be honest, I wouldn't be at all shocked if he wasn't.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The Avs have a ton of young, talented defensemen with EJ, Gaunce, Elliott, Barrie, Cumiskey, etc. If EJ and Elliott are their PP combo in the future, they are drafting Larsson to be more of a solid, shutdown defender. In that case I see them opting for a Gabriel Landeskog. I think their plan all along when trading Shattenkirk and Stewart to St. Louis was - draft a forward like Landeskog to replace Stewart and promote Elliott to replace Shattenkirk on the PP. Landeskog and Elliott are potentially very similar to Stewart and Shattenkirk. Adding Erik Johnson into the mix gives them the cornerstone, franchise defenseman who plays in all situations. As great of a prospect Larsson is, I would be surprised if the Avalanche selected him.

This is pretty well thought out but I view the trade differently. The Stewart/Johnson trade shows just how highly they value a dman with #1 potential. If they think Larsson has that potential then he's gotta be their BPA. It would make sense as well as IMO the best way to build a team is down the middle and from the backend. With Stastny, Duchene, O'reilly, and Mcclement as pivots and EJ and Larsson each anchoring one pairing, they would have a great core for the future.

In terms of how the trade affects/is effected by the draft, I think it makes more sense to take Larsson at 2, and then take a guy like Z or Mcneill at 11 who has the potential to eventually fill that power forward role.

As for the PP pairings, its hard to say, a lot of different people will be given chances but it'll depend on performance. For next year the top PP is going to be Liles and EJ. After that, who knows. Those two, in addition to Larsson, Elliott, Barrie, and Mueller all have the ability to man the point effectively on the PP.

If he's not their BPA then whatever. I'd probably want Huberdeau.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
This is pretty well thought out but I view the trade differently. The Stewart/Johnson trade shows just how highly they value a dman with #1 potential. If they think Larsson has that potential then he's gotta be their BPA. It would make sense as well as IMO the best way to build a team is down the middle and from the backend. With Stastny, Duchene, O'reilly, and Mcclement as pivots and EJ and Larsson each anchoring one pairing, they would have a great core for the future.

In terms of how the trade affects/is effected by the draft, I think it makes more sense to take Larsson at 2, and then take a guy like Z or Mcneill at 11 who has the potential to eventually fill that power forward role.

As for the PP pairings, its hard to say, a lot of different people will be given chances but it'll depend on performance. For next year the top PP is going to be Liles and EJ. After that, who knows. Those two, in addition to Larsson, Elliott, Barrie, and Mueller all have the ability to man the point effectively on the PP.

Good stuff, you guys are converting me here. I have to admit - I think you guys are right and that Larsson is the right pick for the AVS to make at 2 if RNH goes 1st overall. EJ, Larsson, Elliott and Barrie potentially give Colorado an incredible top-4 defensemen soon.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

But the EJ trade could also show that they have gone out and got their franchise rock on the blueline, and now it's much more apparent that they need to address their W situation...the franchise weakness in regards to prospects.

Can go both ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->