What will the Avalanche do at 2?

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Landeskog or Huberdeau. I have a a feeling Larsson might fall a few spots, and i think its justified.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
To me Larsson has a lot of maturity and smarts. The Avalanche love that, they took Duchene at #3 and O'Reilly at #33 knowing exactly what they were getting. Two very mature and very very smart players.

Dutch was more of a default pick. It was going to be whomever was left of the big 3 that year.

Subzero

Jul 28, 2006
Colorado
I've seen it as RNH/Larsson 1-2 for quite some time now and I would fully expect the Avs to take the leftover after the Oilers pick.

This. I feel that the Avs will like RNH's skill more than they like all of Landeskogs intangibles. I howevev, feel that Lando is a better fit for this team, assuming that Larsson is off the board by #2.

asmodeanreborn

Jun 14, 2010
Longmont, CO
So, question to those who have watched both Landeskog and McNeill a lot. What makes Landeskog a better prospect?

I've mostly only seen Landeskog, to be honest, and then just highlight reels of McNeill.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Avs don't like to draft euros who play in europe. So for me Larsson is out of the question.

They love those Q guy, so SC or Huberdeau is my pick.

Avs draft at least one euro player every year...

Anyway they have Hishon ready to make the team as a winger so they will take Larsson. They will add Hishon and Larsson to their lineup next season.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I really won't be upset with either Lando or Larsson but I think an interesting factor in this is EJ. From what I've heard EJ's play in St. Louis suffered because Pietrangelo (sp?) took over the reigns as the "go to guy" I think EJ needs to be that for the Avs for him to live up to his potential. I mean sure it would be great to have another potential #1 D but there is only 1 #1 D on a team usually (you could argue that it isn't the case in Nashville) who is insulated by another solid defender.. look at other teams with true #1s

Lidstrom supported by rafalski/kronwall
Pronger supported by timonen/whoever he is paired with
Keith supported by Seabrook
Chara now with Kaberle

i think some guys just need to be the go to guy because they always have been, and when a guy comes in to try and be that both of their games suffer

with Lando, you know he is going to be a great player and contribute whether he puts up points or not.. you also address the need that you gave up in Stewart and with Hejduk retiring soon you are going to need some skilled wingers that are coming up

hopefully with #11 the Avs can grab Siemens at #11 to fill another need of a big tough physical defenseman... with Elliott and Barrie coming up soon as well.. and with Quincey and Liles still around I think that is a solid D to have even without Larsson

just my 2 cents

Zaphod

Mar 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
I really won't be upset with either Lando or Larsson but I think an interesting factor in this is EJ. From what I've heard EJ's play in St. Louis suffered because Pietrangelo (sp?) took over the reigns as the "go to guy" I think EJ needs to be that for the Avs for him to live up to his potential. I mean sure it would be great to have another potential #1 D but there is only 1 #1 D on a team usually (you could argue that it isn't the case in Nashville) who is insulated by another solid defender.. look at other teams with true #1s

Lidstrom supported by rafalski/kronwall
Pronger supported by timonen/whoever he is paired with
Keith supported by Seabrook
Chara now with Kaberle

i think some guys just need to be the go to guy because they always have been, and when a guy comes in to try and be that both of their games suffer

with Lando, you know he is going to be a great player and contribute whether he puts up points or not.. you also address the need that you gave up in Stewart and with Hejduk retiring soon you are going to need some skilled wingers that are coming up

hopefully with #11 the Avs can grab Siemens at #11 to fill another need of a big tough physical defenseman... with Elliott and Barrie coming up soon as well.. and with Quincey and Liles still around I think that is a solid D to have even without Larsson

just my 2 cents

That's just such a frivolous reason to avoid what might be the best player available - he'll intimidate EJ?

Pulkkinen

Elias Lindholm.
Apr 19, 2010
Barcelona.
twitter.com
Both options are good for the Avalanche. Gabriel Landeskog seems more like an inmediate need, and it will be logical and comprehensive because Colorado is not on a rebuilding mode. Fills an offensive spot, brings and asset to Stastny and Duchene to play with and he can play NHL right now. The NA-Tendency maybe can work at lower rounds, but when you're dealing with the 2nd Pick, you have to pick the best. Simply as that. Landeskog showed a lot of present and also a lot of potential to work with. Where better than the place that saw the best of Peter Forsberg? I'm pretty sure that this can be a good motivation for Landeskog.

On the other hand, Adam Larsson is a really special kind of player and those doesn't appear on a regular basis. He plays at one of the strongest teams on the Elitserien leading his defense with only 18 years, and is doing the same thing with Sweden U20 team. Colorado struggled to find some consistency at the defensive end this year. If we take that Mueller has to return, others like Galiardi and Yip can do better, and youngsters like Olver or Hishon can do a really good job, Adam Larsson appears as a really good choice. Having a pairing Johnson - Larsson is a ensurance for a long time. And Colorado has plenty of prospects to work with and find the perfect combination. I don't see better replacement after the retirement of Adam Foote.

And don't forget that the Avalanche has also the 11th pick. If they need some offensive help on the wings, that pick could provide a really helpful player. Brandon Saad is the first name that comes to my mind.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
If the Avs draft Larsson, next season they will have:

EJ Quincey
Liles Larsson
O'B Wilson
****wick, Cumiskey, Holos, Elliott, Barrie

I think that Larsson fills that blue line in nicely. That being said the Avs are VERY soft up front and could use a tough winger. Nobody knows what the Avs are thinking, and we won't until draft day.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I also have RNH going 1st overall, but I don't see him as a lock. With that being said, if RNH goes 1st, my guess is the Avs go for Larsson at 2nd overall. I generally think that teams don't put a whole lot into team needs when we're talking about picks near the top of the draft, instead focusing heavily on BPA, but the Avs REALLY need 2 way dmen who are strong defensively, and they REALLY do not need another young center, Duchene and Stastny should be their top 2 Cs for a long frickin time. Larsson is arguably the BPA if RNH is off the board, and the best fit for the team, while Cs like Huberdeau, Couturier and Strome seem like terrible fits. The only real other challengers would be a winger like Landeskog (who I see as their 2nd most likely pick, after Larsson) or a different dman in Hamilton or Murphy, but both seem like reaches over Larsson.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Guaranteed Larsson, when the Avs were healthy they were #1 in the NHL in goals. They added EJ now they add a Larsson and it will make them a really solid team. Just need to get a decent goalie next.

A lot has changed since then, too. They traded their top winger and an offensive dman in Stewart and Shattenkirk. They lost a quality winger in Fleischmann to an ailment that could re-appear and threaten his longevity in this leauge, not to mention that Flash is a UFA anyway. They signed d-prospects Stefan Elliott and Tyson Barrie to ELCs.

While draftting Larsson is certainly a very realistic possibility, it's by no way a guarantee that they will do it or that it's the best move for the franchise.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
That's just such a frivolous reason to avoid what might be the best player available - he'll intimidate EJ?

I don't think Johnson is that fragile mentally. That being said, he definately thrives with big minutes and big responsibility.

LandesGod

Feb 14, 2009
Also larsson isnt going to come in and be our #1 dman right away. He'll take several years to be a top dman in this league and EJ seems to be close. EJ is still the leader on our defense and the gap in age and exp between the two should have no effect on EJ's attitude and if he will feel threatened.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Both options are good for the Avalanche. Gabriel Landeskog seems more like an inmediate need, and it will be logical and comprehensive because Colorado is not on a rebuilding mode. Fills an offensive spot, brings and asset to Stastny and Duchene to play with and he can play NHL right now. The NA-Tendency maybe can work at lower rounds, but when you're dealing with the 2nd Pick, you have to pick the best. Simply as that. Landeskog showed a lot of present and also a lot of potential to work with. Where better than the place that saw the best of Peter Forsberg? I'm pretty sure that this can be a good motivation for Landeskog.

On the other hand, Adam Larsson is a really special kind of player and those doesn't appear on a regular basis. He plays at one of the strongest teams on the Elitserien leading his defense with only 18 years, and is doing the same thing with Sweden U20 team. Colorado struggled to find some consistency at the defensive end this year. If we take that Mueller has to return, others like Galiardi and Yip can do better, and youngsters like Olver or Hishon can do a really good job, Adam Larsson appears as a really good choice. Having a pairing Johnson - Larsson is a ensurance for a long time. And Colorado has plenty of prospects to work with and find the perfect combination. I don't see better replacement after the retirement of Adam Foote.

And don't forget that the Avalanche has also the 11th pick. If they need some offensive help on the wings, that pick could provide a really helpful player. Brandon Saad is the first name that comes to my mind.

Um they are in rebuilding...

SpeedDemon

Apr 13, 2011
Classified
It realluy doesn't matter what they do, the Avs need help in just about every category (Goaltending, a 2nd line center, top 4 defenceman, playmakers, powerplay quaterback ) whoever they pick I doubt he'll make any immediate impact

LandesGod

Feb 14, 2009
It realluy doesn't matter what they do, the Avs need help in just about every category (Goaltending, a 2nd line center, top 4 defenceman, playmakers, powerplay quaterback ) whoever they pick I doubt he'll make any immediate impact

We need a 2nd line center??? seriously? cuz stastny didnt score more points in his worst offensive year than any predator did. And pp qb? maybe but im comfortable with EJ and liles. Liles had 46pts in a year where our team was absolutely terrible. Yea we need goaltending and D help but i wouldnt say we need help everywhere. Injuries killed us and it wont take much to turn us into a playoff contender again.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
We need a 2nd line center??? seriously? cuz stastny didnt score more points in his worst offensive year than any predator did. And pp qb? maybe but im comfortable with EJ and liles. Liles had 46pts in a year where our team was absolutely terrible. Yea we need goaltending and D help but i wouldnt say we need help everywhere. Injuries killed us and it wont take much to turn us into a playoff contender again.

Craig Anderson ? :sarcasm:

But yeah, Avs take Larsson and add the last piece to be a dominant force in the future.

member 116861

Playmakers? Paul Stastny
2nd Line Center? Paul Stastny
PP QB? Erik Johnson

Only thing we need is a top 4 defenseman and a goalie.

:help:

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Landeskog (Aka Mine-Stewart) at 2.
Hamilton/Siemens/Murphy at 11.

Pulkkinen

Elias Lindholm.
Apr 19, 2010
Barcelona.
twitter.com
Um they are in rebuilding...

Maybe we have different conception of a Rebuilding team.

For me, a rebuilding situation is when you sell all your assets in order to make space for some new pieces (Florida) or you failed to build a core and downgrade your team to make a bad season and start fresh. Colorado are not in any of those scenarios. They had a lot of problems with injuries, and the last games were unrealistic because they are playing with no options. In a normal situation, they are a PO team, and a good one. They don't need to start over.

They had a good team, great players, despite the bad year, a good coaching (Sacco proved to be a great coach for a young team, and he managed to obtain a great output of depth players), they are making good moves, only a few improvements and they would be up again. Maybe i had an optimistic point of view, it's possible, but i don't see Colorado in a Rebuilding. Only a bad step, like New Jersey for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad