Proposal: What Should the Bruins do this Summer? III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Lucic deal was a foregone conclusion and we all knew it. He had to make that deal to get out of cap hell and avoid overpaying Lucic on his next deal. I give him credit for it for sure, but I wouldn't classify it as that hard of a deal. The "backlash" was minimal. And Hamilton put a gun to his head apparently, and he hardly got a king's ransom for him either. So yeah he made two meaningful deals there in a short time span. Three years ago. But again those weren't hockey trades to acquire players to improve his team...those were sales. There's a difference.

And the "not in the best interest of the team" argument is a fine one, but if he's not able to find a market where he can make deals in the short term to improve his team, then why the hell sign older players as UFA's and keep older defensemen over younger ones? At this point he has to know the trade market well enough right? He hasn't been closing any trades to improve his team, so why not turn his attention more to the future? Why sign Backes? Why keep Kevan over Colin? The strategy has to jive...that's the problem. And it doesn't. Unless the strategy is to revert to the 1970's-1990's model that Sinden built where the team is annually 1-2 pieces from contention. I seem to remember folks loved that.
Lucic & Hamilton (1 year of Looch & Dougie soft as **** with low hockey sense)

Frederic
Lauzon
JFK
Kuraly
Zboril
C Miller
Zboril

Bwhahahaha

What a haul

Sweeney looks bad because 80% of the Bruins followers only know popular NHL players

I get it

I'm like this with the Celtics and NBA

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The Lucic deal was a foregone conclusion and we all knew it. He had to make that deal to get out of cap hell and avoid overpaying Lucic on his next deal. I give him credit for it for sure, but I wouldn't classify it as that hard of a deal. The "backlash" was minimal. And Hamilton put a gun to his head apparently, and he hardly got a king's ransom for him either. So yeah he made two meaningful deals there in a short time span. Three years ago. But again those weren't hockey trades to acquire players to improve his team...those were sales. There's a difference.

And the "not in the best interest of the team" argument is a fine one, but if he's not able to find a market where he can make deals in the short term to improve his team, then why the hell sign older players as UFA's and keep older defensemen over younger ones? At this point he has to know the trade market well enough right? He hasn't been closing any trades to improve his team, so why not turn his attention more to the future? Why sign Backes? Why keep Kevan over Colin? The strategy has to jive...that's the problem. And it doesn't. Unless the strategy is to revert to the 1970's-1990's model that Sinden built where the team is annually 1-2 pieces from contention. I seem to remember folks loved that.

Sweeney has only been the GM since May 2015, so two years ago (not three) and he was only a month on the job when he made those trades. So, (to me anyway) I think it says something about his willingness to do what he thinks is in the best interest of the team. You can minimize it all you want, but there was quite a bit of backlash at the time and there are still people who haven't forgiven him for trading Looch.

Personally, I think they signed Backes because they thought he was a good player and would be a good mentor for the youngsters they had drafted, plain and simple. I thought the contract was at least a year too long. And I believe the team felt that Kevan is just a better player than Colin, now and in the long run. I'm not saying I agree, but when Cassidy came in and saw the same thing Clode did, that was it (same for Spooner I think).

I think Sweeney has a plan and if he can speed that up, he will, but only if it doesn't compromise his end game.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Lucic & Hamilton (1 year of Looch & Dougie soft as **** with low hockey sense)

Frederic
Lauzon
JFK
Kuraly
Zboril
C Miller
Zboril

Bwhahahaha

What a haul

Sweeney looks bad because 80% of the Bruins followers only know popular NHL players

I get it

I'm like this with the Celtics and NBA

Or to look at it another way 7 suspect prospects vs a top 6 physical (on occasion) forward and a top 4 skilled offensive D who was very spotty in his own zone.

While they needed to restock the prospects, building through the draft has never been a Bruins specialty, so let's see where we are in 3 years. Today they are a worse team without Lucic and Hamilton.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Kovalchuk who quits on his team, could have cost them a number of assets as punishment from the league and comes back when he isn't going to make the money he thought in the KHL? 34 year old Ilya Kovalchuk who hasn't played in the league in 3 years? Who would cost you assets and a huge cap number? Pass

Would love Landeskog, Eberle would be OK, I think he would work with either Bergeron or Krecji, though the speed difference between Krecji and Everle could be an issue.

I don't think you'd like Eberle

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney has only been the GM since May 2015, so two years ago (not three) and he was only a month on the job when he made those trades. So, (to me anyway) I think it says something about his willingness to do what he thinks is in the best interest of the team. You can minimize it all you want, but there was quite a bit of backlash at the time and there are still people who haven't forgiven him for trading Looch.

Personally, I think they signed Backes because they thought he was a good player and would be a good mentor for the youngsters they had drafted, plain and simple. I thought the contract was at least a year too long. And I believe the team felt that Kevan is just a better player than Colin, now and in the long run. I'm not saying I agree, but when Cassidy came in and saw the same thing Clode did, that was it (same for Spooner I think).

I think Sweeney has a plan and if he can speed that up, he will, but only if it doesn't compromise his end game.

This should be required reading before anyone posts

Fantastic Joe

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Or to look at it another way 7 suspect prospects vs a top 6 physical (on occasion) forward and a top 4 skilled offensive D who was very spotty in his own zone.

While they needed to restock the prospects, building through the draft has never been a Bruins specialty, so let's see where we are in 3 years. Today they are a worse team without Lucic and Hamilton.

2020 Cup winners

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney 7 for 2 haul

Kuraly already paying early dividends

Colin Miller based on what I read yesterday here and moreso on twitter a future top 4 40+point guy

It's starting to happen folks

Get your cheap shots in now before you become quiet

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Sung to the tune of Stevie Nicks:

I present the 2017 Bruins off season theme

Stand pat
Stand pat

In the middle of the pack (hockey purgatory)

It's alright
(It's alright)

Fans will buy the merchandise (and will still go to the games)
Fans continue to tune in

Whatever

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I don't think you'd like Eberle

I know he isn't physical and more than a touch lazy, also overpaid, but I would take him over Radulov and an aging Kovalchuk. A young Kovalchuk is a different story.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Here we go again.

Sweeney had the balls to trade arguably the most popular B's player in Lucic AND Hamilton in a matter of hours, so I don't see the "not capable" bs some have been spewing. The B's have the assets, so if DS doesn't make a particular deal, it's far more likely that he doesn't want to (because he doesn't believe it's in the best interest of the team), than it is him not being capable.

Yeah, I know, you like his drafting and development...:D

Okay, but the counter is this defence corps has been shy of key elements for what, three years now?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Stand pat
Stand pat

It's alright
(It's alright)

Fans continue to tune in

Whatever

:yo::handclap::laugh:OMG, Now this is priceless!" Great job, but now I'll have that tune stuck in my head all day. I'll be whistling it while I work.:help::laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Okay, but the counter is this defence corps has been shy of key elements for what, three years now?

Again, Sweeney GM for only two years.

Dealt Hamilton and then immediately drafted Zboril and Carlo in the Top 40 and McAvoy and Lindgren in the Top 50 the following year. Guessing that he realized D was an issue?

Krug and Chara established on left side. Right side was the primary issue after JB dealt and Sides hit the skids. Situation was probably fluid, they may have planned on dealing for guys, but got lucky with Carlo and McAvoy hitting early.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Stand pat
Stand pat

It's alright
(It's alright)

Fans continue to tune in

Whatever

Only time this team made any type of conscious decision to win was when the building was pretty much empty and JJ inc. was starting to lose money. Years of lies and alibis were no longer working and they had to change direction, from "open the gates and allow the peasants in" to "we are trying to win, really".

They became tough again with Thornton and Lucic among others, signed high priced sought after free agents in Savard and Chara and did what was needed to put a contending, winning team on the ice.

Now the building is sold out, concession revenue is great and they are once again middle of the pack, win a round or two and be happy with it. Fool the fans with "prospects" who will lead the team to greatness and just be patient.

Shayne Stevenson, Rob Cimetta, Dmitri Kavaltanov, Evgeni Ryabchikov, Kevyn Adams, Shaone Morrisonn, Jonathan Aitken, the entire 2002 draft, Matt Lashoff, on and on and on. People wonder why I'm cynical about this class of prospects they currently have, take a look.

We'll see what happens this off season, I expect nothing. I'm happy one of the few players I like on the team didn't get picked by Vegas.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Only time this team made any type of conscious decision to win was when the building was pretty much empty and JJ inc. was starting to lose money. Years of lies and alibis were no longer working and they had to change direction, from "open the gates and allow the peasants in" to "we are trying to win, really".

They became tough again with Thornton and Lucic among others, signed high priced sought after free agents in Savard and Chara and did what was needed to put a contending, winning team on the ice.

Now the building is sold out, concession revenue is great and they are once again middle of the pack, win a round or two and be happy with it. Fool the fans with "prospects" who will lead the team to greatness and just be patient.

Shayne Stevenson, Rob Cimetta, Dmitri Kavaltanov, Evgeni Ryabchikov, Kevyn Adams, Shaone Morrisonn, Jonathan Aitken, the entire 2002 draft, Matt Lashoff, on and on and on. People wonder why I'm cynical about this class of prospects they currently have, take a look.

We'll see what happens this off season, I expect nothing. I'm happy one of the few players I like on the team didn't get picked by Vegas.

Good post

What is interesting is all 29 teams never missed a pick

Chicago went

3- Barker (bust)
7- Skille (bust )
1- Kane
3- Toews

But because they aren't Bruins I am pretending they were awesome

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
This should be required reading before anyone posts

Fantastic Joe

Yeah because you like Sweeney. But a lot of posters have reservations about him and many good posts have been written about his failings to date. But you don't like those, so those aren't "required reading".

Many people feel as I do that there is an inherent inconsistency in the way he's chosen to execute this retool. And that he hasn't been able to close any hockey deals in his tenure to improve the roster, and he's made some signings/trades that are subjectively lousy. If you choose to paint a rosy picture about the fact we are barely into contracts for Backes and Beleskey and would probably pay to get rid of both of them, or that the only real hockey trade we made of Smith for Hayes has been very regrettable and we'd also pay to be rid of Hayes, that's your choice. But a lot of fans are rightly critical of those moves. And a lot of fans feel he's got enough in the cupboards to improve this roster a fair amount without sacrificing much of the future, and they want to see it done.

And yes, you can shift attention to the prospects and tout the future, but there's plenty of uncertainty there. I'll agree it looks brighter and I'll agree he seems excellent at that aspect of his job, but I also will say I didn't think we signed up for a full-on 5+ year rebuild. I didn't think we'd largely sacrifice the prime years of guys like Bergeron and Marchand to get to some great moment in time 5+ years after Sweeney took the gig. I don't think a lot of people signed on for that. So I think it's fair to start asking about what the plan is for the next 2-3 years and is this guy capable of executing it.

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

they made the playoffs last year which they failed to do the last year they had Lucic & Hamilton so I fail to see how they're worse today.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

But this misses the point. Dougie Hamilton the day he was traded was absolutely in the ballpark of Adam Larsson in terms of market value, and he was traded within a year of him and fetched Taylor Hall. What happened to Dougie since then is 100% irrelevant, and yet people continue to bring it up as a some defense for the trade.

Moving on from him may have been the right choice...the issue is as it related to Sweeney is whether they got a fair return. That's what people care about.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Good post

What is interesting is all 29 teams never missed a pick

Chicago went

3- Barker (bust)
7- Skille (bust )
1- Kane
3- Toews

But because they aren't Bruins I am pretending they were awesome

Not the point at all. All teams miss and have busts, the Bruins miss more than most teams and at best 3 or 4 of your top ten prospects pan out. Especially if you draft outside the top ten regularly. The Bruins did for years try to plug the sinking ship with over the hill, mid level free agents or cheap priced AHLers (remember when Adam Oates had two kids right up from Providence as his wingers and finally said "enough") while saying they had a prospects ready to step in at any time.

Of course that is what happens when you have very few scouts at the time (they cost money you know) and actually used central scouting as your basis for drafting.

So if you wish to look at the many failures as the normal process of drafting, the Bruins being cheap and not hiring enough scouts or bad ones, or just making sure the JJ money machine kept the fans fooled and being lead like cows to the slaughter , as I said there is a reason I'm cynical in general and specifically about the current class of prospects and Sweeney's lack of moves the past two seasons , besides being old and Irish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad