Proposal: What Should the Bruins do this Summer? III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
So, the Bruins display poor asset management in letting Colin Miller go for nothing (and who may end up playing for a division rival), while they opt to keep two redundant, obsolete players in Kevan Miller and Adam McQuaid. Great job, Sweeney.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
So, the Bruins display poor asset management in letting Colin Miller go for nothing (and who may end up playing for a division rival), while they opt to keep two redundant, obsolete players in Kevan Miller and Adam McQuaid. Great job, Sweeney.

I'll never understand this logic. Every team has to "let" someone go "for nothing"...that's how expansion drafts work. Choosing to protect the D they deem most valuable to this team and leaving the other two exposed isn't bad asset management, it's just a necessary evil with expansion drafts.

The only thing you could even argue isn't good asset management is still having 2 of the 3 to expose, but then you get into Wild territory. Unless you find a way to move both, moving one still means you lose the other, so now you're down two D. And with all of this shuffling going on, prices for unprotected D were probably terrible, so now you're looking at losing value in trade. What's better for the team -- losing just Colin Miller, or losing Colin and McQuaid for less than what Colin alone should probably be worth?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

One of the few things he has done right. At least they have some grit and toughness on the back end.

So I'm sure you can't wait for Sweeney to deal Matt Grzelcyk because they have Torey Krug and Grzelcyk projects as the same type of player as Krug, undersized and offensive.

Can't wait for the Colin Miller Hall of Fame speech in 20 years. Because of the curse of Colin the Bruins will never beat the Leafs again.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So do we get loads of Bruins action today or more blue balls?

Hoping something gets done.

Last I looked

Minnesota didn't lose a D and have Brodin

They lost 2 forwards

Rangers with Fast to replace Haula and first look like a good dance partner

Bruins as well with 18 & Spooner

Methot to Dallas 27 pick and assurance the Knights take Eakins

Landeskog for 18 and Heinen and ????

Can they move Beleskey?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Last I looked

They lost 2 forwards

Can they move Beleskey?

What does Spooner + McQuaid + 18th overall get you?

Can it get you Scandella or Brodin?

What else would they need to add to get it done, if anything?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Last I looked

They lost 2 forwards

Can they move Beleskey?
Landeskog may have had a down year but I don't see Colorado moving him for that little. If the ? in your proposal is one of Bostons top prospects then maybe, but 18 and Heinen wouldn't get you much I wouldn't think. Certainly not Landeskog.

I would think Colorado insists on Carlo for Landy. If that doesn't work I bet there's no deal.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I would only move Carlo in a deal with the Avs if there is another move to bring in Brodin or someone comparable. Adding Landeskog and Brodin to the lineup would improve things even if it meant losing a combination of players such as Carlo, Miller/McQuaid, Spooner, Beleskey, and some picks (possibly a first rounder included).

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I would only move Carlo in a deal with the Avs if there is another move to bring in Brodin or someone comparable. Adding Landeskog and Brodin to the lineup would improve things even if it meant losing a combination of players such as Carlo, Miller/McQuaid, Spooner, Beleskey, and some picks (possibly a first rounder included).

Yeah I just don't see that happening if for no other reason than I don't see Sweeney being capable or willing to make two meaningful deals. But I also don't think he'll move Carlo, which is fine I guess.

I think our best case is getting a decent 3rd pair dman from someone or maybe signing a Justin Williams type for third line. Feels more likely at this point.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yeah I just don't see that happening if for no other reason than I don't see Sweeney being capable or willing to make two meaningful deals. But I also don't think he'll move Carlo, which is fine I guess.

I think our best case is getting a decent 3rd pair dman from someone or maybe signing a Justin Williams type for third line. Feels more likely at this point.

Here we go again.

Sweeney had the balls to trade arguably the most popular B's player in Lucic AND Hamilton in a matter of hours, so I don't see the "not capable" bs some have been spewing. The B's have the assets, so if DS doesn't make a particular deal, it's far more likely that he doesn't want to (because he doesn't believe it's in the best interest of the team), than it is him not being capable.

Yeah, I know, you like his drafting and development...:D

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Bruins don't need to add a D. They need to target a top-6 W.

Landeskog, Eberle, Kovalchuk, Radulov, etc. should be the target.

Pass on Eberle (not worth the $$) and Radulov (think he will be looking for too much). Don't think Kovy would consider Boston (not close enough to Cup).

Landeskog if the price is not too high.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Here we go again.

Sweeney had the balls to trade arguably the most popular B's player in Lucic AND Hamilton in a matter of hours, so I don't see the "not capable" bs some have been spewing. The B's have the assets, so if DS doesn't make a particular deal, it's far more likely that he doesn't want to (because he doesn't believe it's in the best interest of the team), than it is him not being capable.

I love you Joe.

Always the voice of reason

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
Pass on Eberle (not worth the $$) and Radulov (think he will be looking for too much). Don't think Kovy would consider Boston (not close enough to Cup).

Landeskog if the price is not too high.

Since he's the best fit, for me that price is essentially no McAvoy, and nothing more than Carlo if Carlo is involved. Outside of that? 18 and package up some combination of Vatrano, Spooner, and the B prospects and turn attention over to LHD.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Bruins don't need to add a D. They need to target a top-6 W.

Landeskog, Eberle, Kovalchuk, Radulov, etc. should be the target.

Kovalchuk who quits on his team, could have cost them a number of assets as punishment from the league and comes back when he isn't going to make the money he thought in the KHL? 34 year old Ilya Kovalchuk who hasn't played in the league in 3 years? Who would cost you assets and a huge cap number? Pass

Would love Landeskog, Eberle would be OK, I think he would work with either Bergeron or Krecji, though the speed difference between Krecji and Everle could be an issue.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Here we go again.

The Lucic deal was a foregone conclusion and we all knew it. He had to make that deal to get out of cap hell and avoid overpaying Lucic on his next deal. I give him credit for it for sure, but I wouldn't classify it as that hard of a deal. The "backlash" was minimal. And Hamilton put a gun to his head apparently, and he hardly got a king's ransom for him either. So yeah he made two meaningful deals there in a short time span. Three years ago. But again those weren't hockey trades to acquire players to improve his team...those were sales. There's a difference.

And the "not in the best interest of the team" argument is a fine one, but if he's not able to find a market where he can make deals in the short term to improve his team, then why the hell sign older players as UFA's and keep older defensemen over younger ones? At this point he has to know the trade market well enough right? He hasn't been closing any trades to improve his team, so why not turn his attention more to the future? Why sign Backes? Why keep Kevan over Colin? The strategy has to jive...that's the problem. And it doesn't. Unless the strategy is to revert to the 1970's-1990's model that Sinden built where the team is annually 1-2 pieces from contention. I seem to remember folks loved that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad