Proposal: What Should the Bruins do this Summer? III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I look at these next two weeks as the most important of the summer. Can't see Sweeney delving into free agency since the pickings are scarcer than previous years, and the cap, though increased slightly, loomes over every transaction.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I think the next two weeks will show us a lot about what this management group wants or expects from this team. If on July 5, we're sitting with a line up of:

Marshy-Bergy-XXXX
XXXX-Krejci-Pasta
Beleskey-Backes-Vatrano
Kuraly-Nash-Hayes

Chara-MacAvoy
Krug-Carlo
K Miller-McQuaid/C Miller
XXXXX

and left to fill in the XXXX's with:
Spooner
Celharik
Debrusk
Heinan
Schaller
JFK
Bjork
Morrow
O'Gara

This will prove that the management are complete idiots and for us fans, buckle up for another rollercoaster season where it comes down to the last day that we make the playoffs, if we're so lucky, considering most other teams will likely have improved. Prospects cupboard is filled, we have a friggin core thats not getting any younger, lets get after this now!

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
I think the next two weeks will show us a lot about what this management group wants or expects from this team. If on July 5, we're sitting with a line up of:

Marshy-Bergy-XXXX
XXXX-Krejci-Pasta
Beleskey-Backes-Vatrano
Kuraly-Nash-Hayes

Chara-MacAvoy
Krug-Carlo
K Miller-McQuaid/C Miller
XXXXX

and left to fill in the XXXX's with:
Spooner
Celharik
Debrusk
Heinan
Schaller
JFK
Bjork
Morrow
O'Gara

This will prove that the management are complete idiots and for us fans, buckle up for another rollercoaster season where it comes down to the last day that we make the playoffs, if we're so lucky, considering most other teams will likely have improved. Prospects cupboard is filled, we have a friggin core thats not getting any younger, lets get after this now!

It will (or might) show that their plan is to let prospects develop and play those that do develop.
It's a plan, but not the best one.
I'd like Sweeney to be a little more proactive on the trade front. That being said, maybe he is and I don't know. I mean, the Bs must be among the least talked about team in the NHL rumor mill.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I look at these next two weeks as the most important of the summer. Can't see Sweeney delving into free agency since the pickings are scarcer than previous years, and the cap, though increased slightly, loomes over every transaction.

Not sure why you'd select the next "two" weeks as I think the most important two weeks were LAST week and this week.

The Bruins came into this offseason as one of a minority of teams that had room for their expansion protection list. I mean they ended up protecting Riley Nash for crying out loud. Moreover, they had at least one notable asset (Carlo) who should have a ton of league-wide value and wouldn't require protection, so if they were so inclined they could have made a splash with him as a chip (debate that elsewhere). So in terms of being in a position to wheel and deal PRIOR to the lists being submitted, they were in about as optimal a spot as you could get. That was the time to get something done. Obviously, they did nothing.

So they've basically got this week. Sure something could happen in trade after this week, but we heard the same BS last summer. I don't think any of us foresee a free agent acquisition of any import (and frankly I don't want one based on previous ones), so it would seem the rest of this week is pretty crucial if the GM plans to close a deal to improve this team.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Not sure why you'd select the next "two" weeks as I think the most important two weeks were LAST week and this week.

The Bruins came into this offseason as one of a minority of teams that had room for their expansion protection list. I mean they ended up protecting Riley Nash for crying out loud. Moreover, they had at least one notable asset (Carlo) who should have a ton of league-wide value and wouldn't require protection, so if they were so inclined they could have made a splash with him as a chip (debate that elsewhere). So in terms of being in a position to wheel and deal PRIOR to the lists being submitted, they were in about as optimal a spot as you could get. That was the time to get something done. Obviously, they did nothing.

So they've basically got this week. Sure something could happen in trade after this week, but we heard the same BS last summer. I don't think any of us foresee a free agent acquisition of any import (and frankly I don't want one based on previous ones), so it would seem the rest of this week is pretty crucial if the GM plans to close a deal to improve this team.

Agreed. I haven't sat here and gone through everyone's list, but I bet Riley Nash had the lowest point output of any protected forward that a. played an entire season and b. didn't have to be protected due to clauses.

Not to mention that they had an open D slot if they wanted to and also would've gladly replaced Spooner with someone else.

I will concede that a lot of their assets didn't need to be protected. But that should be an advantage, not a reason to sit on your hands and do nothing.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Agreed. I haven't sat here and gone through everyone's list, but I bet Riley Nash had the lowest point output of any protected forward that a. played an entire season and b. didn't have to be protected due to clauses.

Not to mention that they had an open D slot if they wanted to and also would've gladly replaced Spooner with someone else.

I will concede that a lot of their assets didn't need to be protected. But that should be an advantage, not a reason to sit on your hands and do nothing.

And this is my point. They were in a great spot to make a deal and once again failed. I don't think enough is being made of that.

Boils down the fact they COULD have shopped Carlo to Minny or Anaheim or anyone with talented D they couldn't protect for one of their top D, and part of that team's equation would have been being able to keep a guy they might lose. Take Anaheim...they have to give assets now to keep Vatanen. If Boston had tried to upgrade from Carlo to Vatenen, Anaheim could have had Carlo+ whatever Boston gave them + whatever assets they'll need to give up to keep Vegas from drafting their guy. It was essentially a free asset for the Bruins to offer teams, and they blew it. And even if you don't want to move Carlo, the Bruins had the ability to grab guys who are better than Nash or Spooner to use for that spot, and they didn't.

I know I'm probably headed for disappointment with what Sweeney won't accomplish these next 5 days, but I'll be most disappointed that he didn't act before the lists were submitted. That's where he blew it.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
If McPhee doesn't already have an agreement in place with Minnesota, I'd like him to flip Dumba to Boston. That would give us another RD, so Sweeney would be in a position to deal Carlo to Denver for Landy.

Dumba is still young and has a greater upside, IMO, than Carlo.

2017-2018:

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Dumba
O'Gara-K. Miller
McQuaid

2018-2019:

Krug-Dumba
Zboril-McAvoy
O'Gara-K.Miller
McQuaid-Lauzon

It would take a first + (Spooner?) to acquire Dumba. Probably have to add a LW prospect with Carlo for Landeskog.

Next two weeks will be interesting.

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
And this is my point. They were in a great spot to make a deal and once again failed. I don't think enough is being made of that.

Boils down the fact they COULD have shopped Carlo to Minny or Anaheim or anyone with talented D they couldn't protect for one of their top D, and part of that team's equation would have been being able to keep a guy they might lose. Take Anaheim...they have to give assets now to keep Vatanen. If Boston had tried to upgrade from Carlo to Vatenen, Anaheim could have had Carlo+ whatever Boston gave them + whatever assets they'll need to give up to keep Vegas from drafting their guy. It was essentially a free asset for the Bruins to offer teams, and they blew it. And even if you don't want to move Carlo, the Bruins had the ability to grab guys who are better than Nash or Spooner to use for that spot, and they didn't.

I know I'm probably headed for disappointment with what Sweeney won't accomplish these next 5 days, but I'll be most disappointed that he didn't act before the lists were submitted. That's where he blew it.

We were told leading up to the lists to "hold on to our butts!" and we got what, 2 decent sized deals and a handful of minor moves? I can't single out Sweeney for doing nothing when practically the entire league did nothing. Not being involved with Drouin stings, especially since he went to the Habs, but it would have taken Carlo+ or McCavoy to get him here, I'm all set with that. The ink isn't dry on any roster for the next few weeks, we'll see what he has up his sleeves.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
If McPhee doesn't already have an agreement in place with Minnesota, I'd like him to flip Dumba to Boston. That would give us another RD, so Sweeney would be in a position to deal Carlo to Denver for Landy.

Dumba is still young and has a greater upside, IMO, than Carlo.

2017-2018:

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Dumba
O'Gara-K. Miller
McQuaid

2018-2019:

Krug-Dumba
Zboril-McAvoy
O'Gara-K.Miller
McQuaid-Lauzon

It would take a first + (Spooner?) to acquire Dumba. Probably have to add a LW prospect with Carlo for Landeskog.

Next two weeks will be interesting.

I'm not moving Carlo for landy...

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
We were told leading up to the lists to "hold on to our butts!" and we got what, 2 decent sized deals and a handful of minor moves? I can't single out Sweeney for doing nothing when practically the entire league did nothing. Not being involved with Drouin stings, especially since he went to the Habs, but it would have taken Carlo+ or McCavoy to get him here, I'm all set with that. The ink isn't dry on any roster for the next few weeks, we'll see what he has up his sleeves.

I don't necessarily think that moving Carlo was the right decision. There wasn't one move where a guy that didn't need protection(Carlo) was moved for a guy that needed protection(Dumba, etc.). That would've resulted in Dumba taking a spot while exposing Miller.

The guy that made sense to me was a guy like Vatrano. Could've gotten a guy worth protecting for him and some prospects/picks.

Just based on the rumor that was floating out there about Florida, would you have traded late picks or a lesser prospect for Marchessault and Smith? Would've allowed you to leave Spooner exposed and could've used Spooner as the price to select Beleskey or Hayes. I think that makes the team better next year. Sure, Smith's contract isn't great but you get Marchessault for 750K for one year.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Seems like McPhees conditions on making side deals had a lot of control over that.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

A lot of you may have missed that McPhee was making GMs "pledge" not to do trades that may hurt Vegas if they did deals not to pick certain players, which is a big reason why there was not a huge roster turnover like expected before the ED deadline.

robinsonp16

Jan 12, 2017
Unfortunately I don't see any trades coming. Trades take balls and come with risk. Sweeny has not had great luck in free agency or with trading but has hit on some of his prospect selections. He's you d his comfort zone, he's going to draft draft draft draft draft.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Maybe it just boils down to the simple fact that they don't want to trade Carlo for anything Anaheim/Minny were willing to offer or don't want to trade him at all. Mobile, top 4 defensive dman still on his ELC...why would we want to trade that again?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Maybe it just boils down to the simple fact that they don't want to trade Carlo for anything Anaheim/Minny were willing to offer or don't want to trade him at all. Mobile, top 4 defensive dman still on his ELC...why would we want to trade that again?

I tried to be clear in my post that moving Carlo wasn't the key point but I knew people would jump on it. It's an example of what they COULD have done, not what they had to do. Vatrano could have been that chip too. Or prospects.

Just by exercising common sense, can't we all agree that a team about to protect two mediocre to crappy forwards (Nash and Spooner), only standing to lose either a 3rd pairing d-man, a guy we'd pay to be rid of, or a minor league goalie with a few awful NHL outings under his belt, holding cap space and with a pipeline supposedly fairly deep, has a bit more leverage than the average NHL team pre-expansion?

Last edited:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'd add that this argument that "not much happened thus I can't blame Sweeney much" has been used now on several occasions. Last summer when he didn't get the D we all expected the argument was prices were too high, not a lot of D's were traded, etc. Reasonably quiet deadline and we heard it. Now we are hearing it again. So if we went back to the first time people trotted out that excuse, you don't think a long list of worthwhile players have changed hands in that time?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I tried to be clear in my post that moving Carlo wasn't the key point but I knew people would jump on it. It's an example of what they COULD have done, not what they had to do. Vatrano could have been that chip too. Or prospects.

Just by exercising common sense, can't we all agree that a team about to protect two mediocre to crappy forwards (Nash and Spooner), only standing to lose either a 3rd pairing d-man, a guy we'd pay to be rid of, or a minor league goalie with a few awful NHL outings under his belt, cap space, a pipeline supposedly fairly deep, has a bit more leverage than the average NHL team pre-expansion? So people can point to how few deals there were or say they didn't want to move Carlo or whatever else, in their defense of no moves, but regardless of how you look at it they seemed to be in a good spot if they wanted to make moves. And I guess they didn't.

There are trades backlogged because of the expansion draft and other teams looking to see what the fallout will be before making moves. Teams weren't willing to sell low on potential unprotected guys...rather the opposite in Minny's case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->