Proposal: What Should the Bruins do this Summer? III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Checks and balances.

For his flaws, Chiarelli was an independent voice and an outsider.
That was tremendously valuable.

This is false.

Independent from whom/what? The Good Ole Boy Club is a league wide thing, they all know one another and have ties because it's such a small community. Look at the B's FO and coaches:

Neely
Sweeney
JFJ
Pandolfo
Langenbrunner
Essensa
Cassidy
Dean
Sacco

The majority of these guys did not come from the Bruins organization originally. Toronto, NJ, Dallas, other places.

Did Chia's independent voice stop the Seguin deal (or at least get them to wait for better return)??

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
But this misses the point. Dougie Hamilton the day he was traded was absolutely in the ballpark of Adam Larsson in terms of market value, and he was traded within a year of him and fetched Taylor Hall. What happened to Dougie since then is 100% irrelevant, and yet people continue to bring it up as a some defense for the trade.

Moving on from him may have been the right choice...the issue is as it related to Sweeney is whether they got a fair return. That's what people care about.

Same argument applies to Joe Thornton and Tyler Seguin, among others. It seems regardless of who the GM is once the Bruins brain trust has made up it's mind to move a player they do so with very little patience, which would allow for a better return.

Regardless of what you think of Seguin the return should have been much higher, the Thornton trade I won't even discuss.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is false.

Independent from whom/what? The Good Ole Boy Club is a league wide thing, they all know one another and have ties because it's such a small community. Look at the B's FO and coaches:

Neely
Sweeney
JFJ
Pandolfo
Langenbrunner
Essensa
Cassidy
Dean
Sacco

The majority of these guys did not come from the Bruins organization originally. Toronto, NJ, Dallas, other places.

Did Chia's independent voice stop the Seguin deal (or at least get them to wait for better return)??
But you have to admit all of them have been to Boston

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Arizona GM saying they're going to be active today........

Wonder if Spooner+Beleskey +sweetener would entice them? That would be huge for us. Definitely would give us the room to go out and get that top 6 forward we need so desperately.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Arizona GM saying they're going to be active today........

Wonder if Spooner+Beleskey +sweetener would entice them? That would be huge for us. Definitely would give us the room to go out and get that top 6 forward we need so desperately.

I would do that, maybe add a B prospect like Grezlcyk, just want Beleskey and Hayes gone.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
But you have to admit all of them have been to Boston
:laugh:

"Who are nine people who've never been in my kitchen"

220px-Cliff_Clavin_in_Jeopardy.png

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I was under the impression this morning was going to be hectic

They are all flying in from Vegas to Chicago

Logic seems after naps and late night of dinners meetings and groundwork tomorrow will be busy around 2-3

Lucic & Dougie went at 2-3 draft day

Landeskog sounds good to me

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
This is false.

Neely
Sweeney
JFJ
Pandolfo
Langenbrunner
Essensa
Cassidy
Dean
Sacco

I'll respectfully disagree with you.

I believe that it was a huge step after Sinden and MOC to go outside the organization and give an independent manager the keys to the castle.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I want Joe Morrow as our #6, with potential to be a #5 or even #4 by season's end. I think he showed a lot in the postseason when he got to play and if he can play in the post season, hes good enough for me to be our #6. In saying that, we need to trade one of Miller/McQuaid. I don't think we need another top 4 guy as I'd roll out with:
Chara-MacAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Morrow-Miller/McQuaid
Gryz/O'Gara 7th

Miller/McQuaid +Spooner+Beleskey would give us a nice little sum of money to grab an impact forward to play with Krejci. Obviously getting a guy like Brodin or Trouba would be money, but I think you then have to look to trade Krug if we got one of those guys. Our offense is what killed us against Ottawa. Frankly, we have too many tweeners and I just don't have any faith in guys like Celharik/Debrusk/Heinen/JFK/Bjork coming in and having an impact type season. Vatrano is a 3rd liner at best, Kuraly is a 4th liner until proven otherwise, same as Nash and Acciari. Backes can push up to the top 6 but he's better suited in that 3C role. Sweeney better be active or we'll have another season of Marshy-Bergy-Pasta being the one and only line scoring for us on any regular basis.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I want Joe Morrow as our #6, with potential to be a #5 or even #4 by season's end. I think he showed a lot in the postseason when he got to play and if he can play in the post season, hes good enough for me to be our #6. In saying that, we need to trade one of Miller/McQuaid. I don't think we need another top 4 guy as I'd roll out with:
Chara-MacAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Morrow-Miller/McQuaid
Gryz/O'Gara 7th

Miller/McQuaid +Spooner+Beleskey would give us a nice little sum of money to grab an impact forward to play with Krejci. Obviously getting a guy like Brodin or Trouba would be money, but I think you then have to look to trade Krug if we got one of those guys. Our offense is what killed us against Ottawa. Frankly, we have too many tweeners and I just don't have any faith in guys like Celharik/Debrusk/Heinen/JFK/Bjork coming in and having an impact type season. Vatrano is a 3rd liner at best, Kuraly is a 4th liner until proven otherwise, same as Nash and Acciari. Backes can push up to the top 6 but he's better suited in that 3C role. Sweeney better be active or we'll have another season of Marshy-Bergy-Pasta being the one and only line scoring for us on any regular basis.

I agree with you. To me that 3rd pairing spot belongs to either Morrow or a kid who makes it out of camp. This is coming form someone who months earlier thought he looked absolutely lost and awful out there

Sometimes watching the game from the box can give you a whole new perspective on the game and help change the way you play. I'd like to see what he could do in a full year.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'll respectfully disagree with you.

I believe that it was a huge step after Sinden and MOC to go outside the organization and give an independent manager the keys to the castle.

Respectfully disagree with what?

It's fact that the only two people in the B's FO right now that have real Bruin's connections are Neely and Sweeney. The rest came from different organizations.

There are many people that point at the Seguin deal as a big reason why the B's fell off and needed to "re-tool". I had no issue with dealing him, but did have a problem with the return.

I ask again, how did Chia being an "independent manager" help prevent the B's from trading Seguin and getting an awful return?

Hint: It didn't.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Krug-Carlo concerns me a little. I think Chara-McAvoy is obvious as Chara paired with "insert young D-man here" is always a good idea, and it gives that top pairing some offensive spark again, but Carlo being the guy that has to anchor the second pairing defensively concerns me a bit. It'll probably be fine and I'm just over-reacting though.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Krug-Carlo concerns me a little. I think Chara-McAvoy is obvious as Chara paired with "insert young D-man here" is always a good idea, and it gives that top pairing some offensive spark again, but Carlo being the guy that has to anchor the second pairing defensively concerns me a bit. It'll probably be fine and I'm just over-reacting though.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but until being proven wrong, I assume that most young players (after they hit the wall) improve on their rookie campaigns. Carlo did OK on the first pair last season, so I see no reason why he can't handle the 2nd pair duties, even with zero improvement (which I don't think will happen).

Carlo (or similar) is exactly the kind of D partner Krug needs.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I think you're underrating Krug defensively here. I think he's good, not great. But the two of these together should do just fine I think, and I'd rather not see us pushing Carlo or Krug to 3rd pair. I think you run with this and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad