What should Chevy do at the deadline?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
what could burmistrov + shefeile(spelling?) + trouba fetch us at the deadline? a top line winger/center?

Our hope for the future? I can see trading Burmi and his potential if you thought you are close, but why in the world would you throw away Scheifele and Trouba at this stage of the team's development?

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
you wouldnt be throwing away the value of trouba and scheifele, because you would get a a legitimate 1st line forward in return, and not just a rental, someone who you could sign for the next 6 years.

bobby ryan for burmistrov + scheifele + trouba, something like that.

Our hope for the future? I can see trading Burmi and his potential if you thought you are close, but why in the world would you throw away Scheifele and Trouba at this stage of the team's development?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
you wouldnt be throwing away the value of trouba and scheifele, because you would get a a legitimate 1st line forward in return, and not just a rental, someone who you could sign for the next 6 years.

these sorts of deals....have never happened.

it's aweful.

statistically, ONE of those three at least should become as good a player of bobby ryan.

complete fantasy trade, doesn't happen, won't happen, and if it did, i' wish the most unkind things upon chevy until the day he dies.

...unless it was crosby/malkin coming back

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
If you're trading Trouba Schiefele and Burmistrov for Ryan, I'd hope we could get Teemu out of that too. Trouba's a freaking beast, and he really should go pro, Red Berenson's gone senile.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Since we're in the playoff hunt, I'd stand pat unless there's an offer you can't pass up.

Other than that I'd like to see Trouba sign and play a couple games on the bottom pairing.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Since we're in the playoff hunt, I'd stand pat unless there's an offer you can't pass up.

Other than that I'd like to see Trouba sign and play a couple games on the bottom pairing.

Id like to see a hockey trade, but no real selling. Unless there is an upgrade coming back, Hainsey and Antro should stay put.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think that we are going to buy a forward at the deadline. I know there is rumblings that Chevy won't rent, but if the right player is available at the right price, I think you have to do it.

Giving up a 2nd and a 3rd for some scoring depth (Chicago's) could help us win a couple games in the post season. Who knows, depending on who we play, maybe even help us advance a series. The money made and the experience gained is worth it. I know we aren't favorites, but you get a good group that gets hot and anything can happen. We also have some pretty nice defensive depth with NHL experience all of the sudden.

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
And every round that goes by there will be less favourites, and eventually the jets might become a favourite.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I want to see Antro and Hainsey go, I would hate to see them walk for nothing.
However, being in the position the Jets currently are in, I would rather see them go for nothing at the end of the season after making the playoffs, then trading them for something that may not pay of for 4 or 5 years (if ever) and missing the playoffs because of it.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Wonder how vital Frolik and Jimmy Hayes are to the Blackhawks. Could either of them be available? Frolik would be a nice addition to the JETS 2nd line.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I still feel we are going to "buy" but it will be in the mold of adding a player on contract who can be here guaranteed the next 2-3 years.

Unless the market is so tight with teams not trading away players, I do not see Chevy standing pat given where we are and how far we have come as a team here, and what is at stake, being the Southeast Division. We have Ladd - Little - Wheeler as the no.1 line, then we have Kane and then............. nothing that resembles consistent impact on the scoresheet.

I see Chevy addressing this.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Some names I heard

-Raffi Torres. UFA probably cost a 3rd/4th. Good bottom 6 guy. Plays an ugly game

-Blake Comeau. UFA probably cost a late round pick. Another solid option in the bottom 6

-Drew Stafford. I think they have looked at him a few times. A guy with size and some scoring ability. Is a right wing also. I am not sure what it would take to make this deal probably Postma+.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Some names I heard

-Raffi Torres. UFA probably cost a 3rd/4th. Good bottom 6 guy. Plays an ugly game

-Blake Comeau. UFA probably cost a late round pick. Another solid option in the bottom 6

-Drew Stafford. I think they have looked at him a few times. A guy with size and some scoring ability. Is a right wing also. I am not sure what it would take to make this deal probably Postma+.

Said it last week, will say it again, I would LOVE Raffi Torres here in our bottom 6. I love players who play on the edge, maybe cross the line every now and again but that's what you get with them. Like them on your team, hate playing against them. Torres would add a real element of "bite" to our bottom 6, and we need that "bite" to form an identity.

I am all for giving Drew Stafford a go here if the price is right. His price shouldn't be too high all things considered.

Blake Comeau? nah, i'd rather pass. We've got enough of this type of player in our bottom 6, in my opinion.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Some names I heard

I'd definitely be interested. If we're looking at playing Toronto Ottawa or New Jersey in the 1st round, his physicality would be huge asset so long as the coaching staff can harness his play to a point where he does not cross the line.

In a long series, a hard fore checking guy like Torres will wear down an opponent. If defenseman are constantly worried about him when they're going back for a puck in their corner, turnovers are bound to happen. He's very similar to Chris Neil in that sense. Neil can be a pain to have to deal with night after night because he is aggressive and always finishes his checks.

I'd love to add him and then ship out Thorburn to Montreal or any playoff bound team looking for lower line depth for a pick. Torres is an upgrade on Thorburn.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Wonder how vital Frolik and Jimmy Hayes are to the Blackhawks. Could either of them be available? Frolik would be a nice addition to the JETS 2nd line.

I just threw up in my mouth. Frolik is absolute garbage. Terrible hockey player. Mittens is waaay better than him, and I am not even a Mittens fan. There's a reason he has just 6 goals in his last 91 games and it's not bad puck luck. He is brutal.

Some names I heard

Torres, yeah been over him, POS. Urgh.

Comeau is not a good player. He is not the player he used to be. Calgary fans are over him for a reason. Don't see him as an upgrade on anybody currently in the Jets lineup.

Stafford would be ok depending the price. Upgrade on Mittens for sure.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I still feel we are going to "buy" but it will be in the mold of adding a player on contract who can be here guaranteed the next 2-3 years.

Unless the market is so tight with teams not trading away players, I do not see Chevy standing pat given where we are and how far we have come as a team here, and what is at stake, being the Southeast Division. We have Ladd - Little - Wheeler as the no.1 line, then we have Kane and then............. nothing that resembles consistent impact on the scoresheet.

I see Chevy addressing this.

I agree. I don't really want to see the team deal away assets on a rental, but a guy who could be here for 2-3 years would be ok with me.

On another note, I'm usually dead set, 100% against dealing 1st round picks. At this stage of the game, I could possibly make an exception this year. The Jets are looking to make the playoffs, but have a massive hole (2 actually) on the 2nd line. It will probably take something better than mid picks and our own mid tier prospects to address that. Plus, that 1st round pick is most likely years away, and with Scheifele and Trouba joining the team next year, and possibly Lowry soon after, an additional real top 6 forward could start to turn this team into something special. The additional factor in my thought is that this is our last year in the SE. We also have a very good chance to win the division. If we win the division, I think the best we pick is 25. Starting next year, and not to be a pessimist, but I don't see us being a perennial division winner. So baring late playoff runs starting next year, our pick this year will be the highest it will most likely be in a long time.

That being said, I would only put the 1st on the table for a player who is clearly a top 6 forward, is hopefully 27 or under, and has at least 5 years of contract, or 5 years before UFA status left. In that way you are kind of getting the player you would hope to get at 25 anyway, but you're getting him now, and without the development time (minus a few years under Jets control).

Unfortunately, I don't see a team that is in a position to move a player like that. Not that they have any reason to do it, but a guy I would move the 1st plus for would be Wayne Simmonds. 24 years old and signed for 6 more years. That's a dream though.

As for the options, I really hope we would resign Hainsey (on a good contract). There isn't much out there in UFA, and we could keep the top 4 intact, ease Trouba onto the 3rd pair with a guy like Stuart, keep Kulda and Redmond as the 7 and 8 D, and move Clitsome and Postma.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I agree. I don't really want to see the team deal away assets on a rental, but a guy who could be here for 2-3 years would be ok with me.

On another note, I'm usually dead set, 100% against dealing 1st round picks. At this stage of the game, I could possibly make an exception this year. The Jets are looking to make the playoffs, but have a massive hole (2 actually) on the 2nd line. It will probably take something better than mid picks and our own mid tier prospects to address that. Plus, that 1st round pick is most likely years away, and with Scheifele and Trouba joining the team next year, and possibly Lowry soon after, an additional real top 6 forward could start to turn this team into something special. The additional factor in my thought is that this is our last year in the SE. We also have a very good chance to win the division. If we win the division, I think the best we pick is 25. Starting next year, and not to be a pessimist, but I don't see us being a perennial division winner. So baring late playoff runs starting next year, our pick this year will be the highest it will most likely be in a long time.

That being said, I would only put the 1st on the table for a player who is clearly a top 6 forward, is hopefully 27 or under, and has at least 5 years of contract, or 5 years before UFA status left. In that way you are kind of getting the player you would hope to get at 25 anyway, but you're getting him now, and without the development time (minus a few years under Jets control).

Unfortunately, I don't see a team that is in a position to move a player like that. Not that they have any reason to do it, but a guy I would move the 1st plus for would be Wayne Simmonds. 24 years old and signed for 6 more years. That's a dream though.

As for the options, I really hope we would resign Hainsey (on a good contract). There isn't much out there in UFA, and we could keep the top 4 intact, ease Trouba onto the 3rd pair with a guy like Stuart, keep Kulda and Redmond as the 7 and 8 D, and move Clitsome and Postma.

Well technically we could win the division at draft #21.

Breakdown
#30 - Stanley Cup Winner
#29 - Stanley Cup Loser
#28 - Conference Final Loser Higher Point Total
#27 - Conference Final Loser Lower Point Total
Division Winners Reverse Order of Points
Playoff Teams Reverse Order of Points
#1-14 - Non-Playoff Teams

So if the Conference Finals are between 4 teams that did not win the division then the division winners would be drafting #21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26.

On the actual content of the post, I'd agree. I wouldn't be completely against moving the first for a contract or RFA protected player. However you gotta be pretty sure it's the right fit.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

Never. The current management group clearly realized that they'd acquired a team with near zero depth; this is underscored by a publicly stated plan to build a team via the draft. Fast forward two years to a point when some of those draft picks are finally ready to offer the team some depth and you for some reason are now suggesting that management throw out both their entire organizational planning and their future in exchange for a 26 year old hockey player.

Yikes.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Well technically we could win the division at draft #21.

Breakdown
#30 - Stanley Cup Winner
#29 - Stanley Cup Loser
#28 - Conference Final Loser Higher Point Total
#27 - Conference Final Loser Lower Point Total
Division Winners Reverse Order of Points
Playoff Teams Reverse Order of Points
#1-14 - Non-Playoff Teams

So if the Conference Finals are between 4 teams that did not win the division then the division winners would be drafting #21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26.

Thanks.

So we could be as low as 21, but most likely not as that would require some pretty good teams (Pittsburgh, Chicago, Anaheim, Boston / Montreal) to not make the conference finals.

Question: Does that draft order stay the same for all the rounds, or after the first does it go back to straight points?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad