What should Chevy do at the deadline?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Thanks.

So we could be as low as 21, but most likely not as that would require some pretty good teams (Pittsburgh, Chicago, Anaheim, Boston / Montreal) to not make the conference finals.

Question: Does that draft order stay the same for all the rounds, or after the first does it go back to straight points?

Stays (unlike lottery).

But agreed it is unlikely. It would mean all division winners bow out before 3rd round. Rarely if ever happens. Just saying :laugh:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
On the actual content of the post, I'd agree. I wouldn't be completely against moving the first for a contract or RFA protected player. However you gotta be pretty sure it's the right fit.

question for you and geurzy EDIT: Should be Huffer...has a trade like that ever happened/?

It seems to me that a first round pick of a likley playoff team does not net you a 25-27 yearold top six forward with oodles of contract/protection - i think it's a pipe dream.

you'd be adding relatively significantly to that i would think.

Unless they were toa sk for next years first, that i could see as that's much more of a wildcard.

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
question for you and geurzy...has a trade like that ever happened/?

It seems to me that a first round pick of a likley playoff team does not net you a 25-27 yearold top six forward with oodles of contract/protection - i think it's a pipe dream.

Unless they were toa sk for next years first, that i could see as that's much more of a wildcard.

true dat and no question about it. The player would want to get out of town for any reasons.

Would we trade Ladd or Little for a #22-25 OVA? Ehhh... no.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Dog Days

Fox Sports Arizona is reporting that the Phoenix Coyotes are teetering precariously between being buyers or sellers over the next week.

"We're right at the cliff as far as I'm concerned," GM Don Maloney told reporter Craig Morgan. "If we slide much further, all bets are off. We're going to go out and find assets. This is reality."

Should the 'Yotes go into sell-mode, names like Boyd Gordon, Raffi Torres and Derek Morris could soon find themselves on the market, according to Morgan.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419209

Hopefully Phoenix continues to slide, and if we are interested in Torres, I hope a deal can be made.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I just threw up in my mouth. Frolik is absolute garbage. Terrible hockey player. Mittens is waaay better than him, and I am not even a Mittens fan. There's a reason he has just 6 goals in his last 91 games and it's not bad puck luck. He is brutal.

Torres, yeah been over him, POS. Urgh.

Comeau is not a good player. He is not the player he used to be. Calgary fans are over him for a reason. Don't see him as an upgrade on anybody currently in the Jets lineup.

Stafford would be ok depending the price. Upgrade on Mittens for sure.

I disagree. Players sometimes need a change of scenery and Frolik could be a prime example. He has only 2 goals less than our much BELOVED Little while probably not getting near as much PP time and playing with lesser players. Just saying!!!!

As an example, Jiri Tlusty had 11 goals in a 92 game stretch. Is he Garbage? I wouldn't say so. He was a player who benefitted from a change of scenery moving from Toronto to Carolina.

Frolik is still only 25, has decent size and can skate. Buy low on players like that. Take the chance that it works out if you can get him for relatively cheap. No one is going to gift the JETS a proven 20 goal guy for nothing. I'd wager there will be a few teams in on Stafford and JETS won't get him because the price will be too much.

Olesz is what I would consider garbage.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
question for you and geurzy...has a trade like that ever happened/?

Red Wings traded their 2012 1st rounder + career minor leaguer for D Kyle Quincey (26), a player that was at the time considered a top 4 D by most with RFA status left.

Flyers traded their 2011 1st rounder + 2011 3rd Rounder for LW Kris Versteeg (24), who had 1 year left on deal + RFA status at the end of the deal.

Predators traded their 2011 1st rounder + Conditional 2nd/3rd Rounder for C Mike Fisher (29), who had 2 years left on deal.

Canadiens traded their 2008 1st rounder + 2009 2nd rounder for LW Alex Tanguay(28) + 2008 5th rounder, who had 1 year left on deal.

These are just the straight 1st rounders for contracted players (not rentals) that I could find quickly. That is not including other type of deals (ie including a Postma + 1st rounder). So it does happen at times.

If the Jets manage to finish 3rd they could end up facing Toronto, NJ, Ottawa or NYR.

Nothing impossible there. Gotta hope they can keep rolling. :)

What? My post had nothing to do with that...at all. :help:

I disagree. Players sometimes need a change of scenery and Frolik could be a prime example. He has only 2 goals less than our much BELOVED Little while probably not getting near as much PP time and playing with lesser players. Just saying!!!!

As an example, Jiri Tlusty had 11 goals in a 92 game stretch. Is he Garbage? I wouldn't say so. He was a player who benefitted from a change of scenery moving from Toronto to Carolina.

Frolik is still only 25, has decent size and can skate. Buy low on players like that. Take the chance that it works out if you can get him for relatively cheap. No one is going to gift the JETS a proven 20 goal guy for nothing. I'd wager there will be a few teams in on Stafford and JETS won't get him because the price will be too much.

Tlusty was a young guy trying to find his way. And oh yeah 11 is almost double Frolik's numbers, which have been steadily falling each and every season. He has a powder puff shot, plays soft, does not use his size, not great hands.

Change of scenery can spark players...Frolik had that and saw his downward spiral continue. He is no longer an NHLer and will be out of the NHL inside a year or so.

Ulf Hullberg

Nov 6, 2011
Winnipeg

Coming from the Chicago organization, I'm betting Chevy has a pretty good idea what Frolik brings to the game. Therefore, I doubt Chevy sees Frolik as fitting a current Jets roster need.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
With where our first would be the #1 pick is definitely in play for a second line RW if it is the right fit

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Red Wings traded their 2012 1st rounder + career minor leaguer for D Kyle Quincey (26), a player that was at the time considered a top 4 D by most with RFA status left.

Flyers traded their 2011 1st rounder + 2011 3rd Rounder for LW Kris Versteeg (24), who had 1 year left on deal + RFA status at the end of the deal.

Predators traded their 2011 1st rounder + Conditional 2nd/3rd Rounder for C Mike Fisher (29), who had 2 years left on deal.

Canadiens traded their 2008 1st rounder + 2009 2nd rounder for LW Alex Tanguay(28) + 2008 5th rounder, who had 1 year left on deal.

These are just the straight 1st rounders for contracted players (not rentals) that I could find quickly. That is not including other type of deals (ie including a Postma + 1st rounder). So it does happen at times.

i agee a deal would get done for those type sof players, but none of those deals are what wasuggested with the exception of Kris versteeg. If i misread what guerzy EDIT:(this should be Huffer) meant then i agree, you could acquire a piece like versteeg when that trade was made, but none of those otherguys really resemble what i took us as going after.

Last edited:

roosemoose

Mar 3, 2013
Morden, MB
Chevy is not parting ways with Trouba or Scheifele those are guys are part of the bigger picture in the future. I can see Chevy making a deal for a guy like Drew Stafford to play on the second like with Kane, would be a big improvement on that line.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
question for you and geurzy EDIT: Should be Huffer...has a trade like that ever happened/?

I don't know if there are many examples. It's a tough situation because the teams that are selling and want 1st round picks are also the ones that want young cost controlled guys. I did say though that the 1st would be on the table, as in it would probably take more than the 1st alone.

The only scenarios I can think of where it might be possible is:

1) A budget team looks to the near future and sees that they won't be able to afford all of their players. If St. Louis somehow wasn't in the playoffs this year, AND had real concerns about their ability to keep all of their forwards together it could be a possibility.

2) A team has a few good players in their mid 20's, but for whatever reason need to do a complete rebuild. Maybe they are also a budget team, and would rather have a young player and a 1st than a guy that they don't think will be part of their core when they will compete (5 years).

Hypothetical - Burmistrov isn't a forward with high potential, he's a defensman with high potential. Pretend the Thrashers drafted Gormley instead. But the Jets also have Enstrom, Buff, Bogo, and Trouba. Do the Flyers take Gormley and a 1st for one of their young locked up forwards? Besides Gormley being a prospect, that is somewhat similar to Johnson and a late 1st for Carter right?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I don't know if there are many examples. It's a tough situation because the teams that are selling and want 1st round picks are also the ones that want young cost controlled guys. I did say though that the 1st would be on the table, as in it would probably take more than the 1st alone.

The only scenarios I can think of where it might be possible is:

1) A budget team looks to the near future and sees that they won't be able to afford all of their players. If St. Louis somehow wasn't in the playoffs this year, AND had real concerns about their ability to keep all of their forwards together it could be a possibility.

2) A team has a few good players in their mid 20's, but for whatever reason need to do a complete rebuild. Maybe they are also a budget team, and would rather have a young player and a 1st than a guy that they don't think will be part of their core when they will compete (5 years).

Hypothetical - Burmistrov isn't a forward with high potential, he's a defensman with high potential. Pretend the Thrashers drafted Gormley instead. But the Jets also have Enstrom, Buff, Bogo, and Trouba. Do the Flyers take Gormley and a 1st for one of their young locked up forwards? Besides Gormley being a prospect, that is somewhat similar to Johnson and a late 1st for Carter right?

ok that makes more sense. It was the interpretation that the first would be the "main" asset of the deal coming from Winnipeg, which in the cases you stated i would argue it probably is not. Burmi/gromley/johnson are all more valuable then the attached firsts.

I agree a trade like that i could get behind, where you move the first + promising youth for established youth

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
ok that makes more sense. It was the interpretation that the first would be the "main" asset of the deal coming from Winnipeg, which in the cases you stated i would argue it probably is not. Burmi/gromley/johnson are all more valuable then the attached firsts.

I agree a trade like that i could get behind, where you move the first + promising youth for established youth

Yes, sorry if it was a little fuzzy. I was just thinking that although I am loath to give up a 1st, because of some of the reasons I mentioned (winning the division and drafting late, moving to a division where we most likely won't be winning all that often, having a need for a top 6 right now), that I could be on board with moving the 1st, as long as the guy coming back wasn't a rental, but a young guy that would slot right into the core of the team right now (Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Enstrom, Buff).

I think your summary was pretty accurate: 1st plus promising youth for established youth.

Now if we were not looking to win the division, and had just as much chance to slit into the top 10, then I wouldn't even think about something like this.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I'm with ya, Huffer. I would be all for a move like that given the circumstances.

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
if the coyotes continue to slide, what do you guys think about trading for Radim vrabata?

He is on average a +40 points player, he has a great shot. He has a good cap hit sitting at $ 3 million. If anything he adds scoring depth and comes from a good defensive coaching system.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
if the coyotes continue to slide, what do you guys think about trading for Radim vrabata?

He is on average a +40 points player, he has a great shot. He has a good cap hit sitting at $ 3 million. If anything he adds scoring depth and comes from a good defensive coaching system.

I'd be more interested with Vermette tbh.

untouchable21

Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I like Vrbata and before the JETS I watched the Coyotes all the time. He is very underrated. That said, he has had a tough time producing the same results when on a different team for whatever reason.

If he could be had relatively cheap, he'd be an okay gamble. Don't know if the Coyotes would move him though. He and Hanzal are pretty close.

Not a scoring forward, but Boyd Gordon is someone Chevy should be looking at. He'd help greatly in the faceoff circle and would add to the JETS improving PK. Very useful player imo.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I like Vrbata and before the JETS I watched the Coyotes all the time. He is very underrated. That said, he has had a tough time producing the same results when on a different team for whatever reason.

If he could be had relatively cheap, he'd be an okay gamble. Don't know if the Coyotes would move him though. He and Hanzal are pretty close.

Not a scoring forward, but Boyd Gordon is someone Chevy should be looking at. He'd help greatly in the faceoff circle and would add to the JETS improving PK. Very useful player imo.

I don't think GM's take into consideration where a certain player's friends are tbh.

That is one area that the team does need to improve on is their face offs. The fact tht they all suck at it just takes away all
Momentum that could have been gained from the previous shift....and when they do win...it's like they don't know what to do. They're so shocked that they won the face off they end up bungling the puck and are forced to get it back in a defensive scenario.

untouchable21

Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I don't think GM's take into consideration where a certain player's friends are tbh.

That is one area that the team does need to improve on is their face offs. The fact tht they all suck at it just takes away all
Momentum that could have been gained from the previous shift....and when they do win...it's like they don't know what to do. They're so shocked that they won the face off they end up bungling the puck and are forced to get it back in a defensive scenario.

Maybe not, but Don Maloney has been pretty loyal to his core players and Vrbata likes it in Phoenix so unless he was wanting out which I doubt he is, he won't be dealt unless it's really worth it to the Coyotes.

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
if the playoffs started now, there are only 3 teams in the east that the jets cant beat, Montreal, boston, and Pittsburgh. I hope the Jets add some scoring depth, to lines 2 and lines 3, because come playoff time they will need it, if they make it into the playoffs.

bazaaa*

if the playoffs started now, there are only 3 teams in the east that the jets cant beat, Montreal, boston, and Pittsburgh. I hope the Jets add some scoring depth, to lines 2 and lines 3, because come playoff time they will need it, if they make it into the playoffs.

We play Boston pretty good. Montreal and Pitt I wouldn't want to run into.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Anyone think we could pry pomenville out of Buffalo?
That team is in free fall and with ruff gone you can bet they are thinking blow up! I'd go for burmi and a second or even that and a 3rd as well.

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
If the Yotes start selling I think Moss and Gordon would both be very good targets. Stafford has been discussed at length here and I really think he would be a good fit across from Kane. I still think the trade market could develop such that trading Hainsey is too good to pass up but that remains to be seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad