What should Chevy do at the deadline?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
IMO...

1) Do NOT sell for picks unless it's because you are in turn using picks for getting another roster player.
2) Do NOT sell the farm for rentals.
3) Improving/shuffling roster is fine, which is why #1 works as it is indirectly the same thing.
4) Otherwise stand pat.

Reasoning:
Jets are not ready for being cup favourites and don't have much of a farm to sell.
Jets are ready for gaining important and imperative playoff experience.
Most picks we sell for will never become as effective as what Hainsey and Antropov are for us now.
ATL dove down for picks in their rebuild in 2008 with Bogosian + Kane, other successful teams get up as soon as possible after diving down.

Team Year SeasonsInRebuildMode (top10picks)
CAR 2003 2
WSH 2004 3
CHI 2004 3
STL 2006 3
LAK 2007 3
ATL/WPG 2008 5

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
1) Do NOT sell for picks unless it's because you are in turn using picks for getting another roster player.

Look at it this way. Compare our current situation to our situation exactly a year ago when Oduya was moved. We're now sitting much prettier(standings and roster), it seems as though our systems are coming through, and the team overall is playing better. Last year a few people were upset that Chevy moved Oduya, it hurt our playoff chances. Fast forward a year and we have two picks from that trade that we can turn into roster players immediately.

It's like cash in the bank.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
IMO...

2) Do NOT sell the farm for rentals.
3) Improving/shuffling roster is fine, which is why #1 works as it is indirectly the same thing.
4) Otherwise stand pat.

Reasoning:
Jets are not ready for being cup favourites and don't have much of a farm to sell.
Jets are ready for gaining important and imperative playoff experience.
Most picks we sell for will never become as effective as what Hainsey and Antropov are for us now.
ATL dove down for picks in their rebuild in 2008 with Bogosian + Kane, other successful teams get up as soon as possible after diving down.

Team Year SeasonsInRebuildMode (top10picks)
CAR 2003 2
WSH 2004 3
CHI 2004 3
STL 2006 3
LAK 2007 3
ATL/WPG 2008 5

If Trouba signs I would be willing to look hard at moving Hainsy in trade similar to the Morrow deal today. I would look at getting a good prospect who is close to jumping into the show. St Louis has been looking at Hainsy and have a couple of guys that come to mind. Schwartz, Cole, etc... I'm not super interested in trading for picks as we have enough of them this year.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Look at it this way. Compare our current situation to our situation exactly a year ago when Oduya was moved. We're now sitting much prettier(standings and roster), it seems as though our systems are coming through, and the team overall is playing better. Last year a few people were upset that Chevy moved Oduya, it hurt our playoff chances. Fast forward a year and we have two picks from that trade that we can turn into roster players immediately.

It's like cash in the bank.

Oduya was our number 5 more often than not, Hainsey should be our number 4 but has been playing on the top pair more often than not due to injuries. Not a direct comparison.

Also, with the Clitsome pickup it was still along the lines of receiving a roster player... which was my point, just another method.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
It sure would by nice if Noel put Kulda in the lineup so Chevy could make an informed decision on him. If Kulda can play at the NHL level it would make it a lot easier to move Hainsey. How can Chevy make a decision when Noel won't play him?

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Leafs could his some size right?
nik801280x1024.jpg

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It sure would by nice if Noel put Kulda in the lineup so Chevy could make an informed decision on him. If Kulda can play at the NHL level it would make it a lot easier to move Hainsey. How can Chevy make a decision when Noel won't play him?

I think they have a plan for Kulda, doesn't that make sense?

Perhaps let him practice, learn the system a bit. Don't throw him to the wolves in the middle of the playoff race?

He will get his chance. They didn't sign him on a one way for nothing.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Also consider if Meech has any trade value, they want to play him. It's not a big deal waiting on Kulda.

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd have a better idea how to answer this in a week's time. Four more games coming up including two huge ones vs. Carolina.

If we're still sitting in 3rd, or generally sitting pretty coming up to Deadline Day, I'm less interested in dealing Antro and/or Hainsey for whatever we may get. Also, if we had any indication that either of these players could re-sign here at a reasonable rate, I'd also be less inclined to deal them, unless the return is good for us (agree that a 2nd or 3rd rounder that may help the team in 3-5 years is not ideal - we have a bunch of these picks already).

That said, if we know that either player has designs of heading elsewhere after the year (and our playoff chances get more murky), then it's probably a good idea to get some return.

First priority right now has to be getting this year's squad to the playoffs though. Not saying go out and get rentals for a deep run or anything, but there's a lot of guys on this team that have never been to the playoffs yet, and could use the experience (however many games or rounds we may last) for future runs.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I'd keep Antro. I'd consider trading Hainsey if the return was worthwhile, such as an equivalent forward or first round pick (maybe that's asking much?)

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd extend Hainsey and sell Antro for picks. This team needs depth, get a good amount of picks but not at the expense of selling off the majority of our roster players. We're not in a position to contend for the cup so right now the idea should be to stock up the cupboard.

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
improve depth of 3rd line/4th line
improve 2nd line

If the jets make it into the playoffs, have them go far as they can, make some money for true north.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Unless the bottom falls out, I think the team should stand pat - Hainsey and Antropov are worth much more in the line-up during the post season than some picks for the draft.

Even if the Jets make the play-offs, the likelyhood of them going deep is slim, so why not "dance with what brung you", and evaluate after the season ends. They will still have an opportunity to make moves before the Draft and Free Agency begin.

JustBeCool

boom shakalaka
Jul 1, 2012
Vancouver
If the price is good for Hainsey/Antropov, definitely have to jump on it. If none of the trades are good enough, stand pat. No point underselling I think. Playoffs all they way and I think both of them will help.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
If you're not a cup contender and your prospect depth is terrible, you've got to either re-sign or sell. If you think Hainsey and/or Antropov contribute to the team culture you're trying to build, you re-sign them immediately even if it's just for a year or two because mid-round picks are unlikely to become steady roster players like those two. Failing that, you have to sell. You can't afford to lose them for nothing and the price for rentals this year is high.

I don't think trading Antropov and/or Hainsey is necessarily sending the wrong message either. The team could see it as a vote of confidence for the young guys - i.e. that Kulda and/or Burmi is ready to step up and play more substantial minutes. I do think it's important for the young guys to get playoff experience and I don't think Antropov or Hainsey are that crucial for it to happen; The trade deadline is pretty late this year. I also wouldn't be surprised to see both re-signed. They're not exactly hitting retirement age.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I'm in favor of trading Antro and Hainsey for whatever we can get, and then picking up a 2nd line RW (maybe Stafford or a STL player).

If it can all be done in one trade, even better.

With Enstrom back, we're sitting with 9 D when everyone's healthy... which we're not far from. I'm more than happy with the top 4 we had tonight. They didn't look any worse tonight than they did when Hainsey was in the line up.

Hainsey's value is high, get something good for him while we can.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
I can't stand Antro and Hainsey as much as the next guy but I say keep em both. Trade a 3rd and potentially a 2nd if it's worth it for a goal scorer.
Guys like Stastny, Hemsky, Ray Whitney, Clowe, St. Louis, Briere, Stafford, and Pominville should all be discussed at the very least.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Everything depends on what the return is and what the price is in any deal. Without that information its tough to answer.

^^^BTW nice avatar ;)

bazaaa*

Move Antropov, get Stafford.
Move Hainsey if it can get a decent return.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Unless the bottom falls out, I think the team should stand pat - Hainsey and Antropov are worth much more in the line-up during the post season than some picks for the draft.

Even if the Jets make the play-offs, the likelyhood of them going deep is slim, so why not "dance with what brung you", and evaluate after the season ends. They will still have an opportunity to make moves before the Draft and Free Agency begin.
That's how I voted.

They aren't winning the Cup, so don't mortgage the future.

At the same time, they have a darn good chance of finishing first in their division. They may not get that again in the next 5 years. Lots of pretty decent teams go a long time without a first place finish.

BTW, what exactly do you proponents of a trade think they would get for a UFA? We have lots of picks this year and have lots of waiver claim calibre players. Unless there is a stupid GM out there all I would them getting is more of what we don't really need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad