What should Chevy do at the deadline?

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
OK... so with all this Hainsey talk... what if the guy decides he wants to stay? Then who do we move?

other UFAs

Wellwood
Antropov
Miettinen
Clitsome
Meech
Montoya

I could see Clitsome, Meech, and Montoya all staying as they are all serviceable players and fill their roles.

Not saying to trade anyone, just that if the player is going to leave because they are an UFA, you MUST get something for them. This franchise can't afford to lose players for nothing.

I think Antropov has value as a 3rd-line center. He's good defensively, he's smart with the puck and he uses his size around both nets. I don't think many contenders are looking for top-6 scoring, just depth that can chip in offensively and not be a liability defensively. Chicago and Vancouver both need centers; I'm sure there's more.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
It would be great to see a team like the NYR trade for Ron.

I have a very strong hunch that Hainsey would like to play for a team near his home and NYR, NYI and Philly all fit the bill. Trouble is, the first 2 are direct competitors of the Jets for a playoff spot and I can't see Chevy handing Hainsey over to them at this critical juncture. Philly would have been the other choice, but they are almost out of the playoff picture.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I want to extend Hainsey... because Hainsey-Bogosian are just a pair that works real good and he can be a stopgap until Trouba takes his place in the top4. :)

There's no doubt in my mind that Hainsey is our second best LHD, and Bogosian plays better with him than without him. Last season Bogosian cited a lot of his improvement to playing with Hainsey who is very vocal on the ice.

2011-12 Bogosian WOWY Hainsey
STAT | W/O | WITH
CF/20| 19.47 | 18.88
CA/20| 19.64 | 17.82
CF% | 49.8% | 51.4

2012-13 Bogosian WOWY Hainsey
STAT | W/O | WITH
CF/20| 20.73 | 21.30
CA/20| 19.73 | 19.62
CF% | 51.2% | 52.0
the without data for this season is basically 1 game with Clitsome (which was good) and 1 game with Byfuglien (which wasn't so good), so keep sample size in mind

Wanting and having it happen are two different things though.

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Noel's head shaking on Burmi and Antro giveaways may say a lot about their future as Jets.

Burmi continues to try to beat dmen 1-on-1 and turn the puck over at the opposition blueline. That likely is Noel's frustration with him, not getting pucks deep.

Antro has been soft recently in the d-zone, with ill timed turnovers. Can see him saying, "they had more turnovers than the neighborhood bakery!"

Both Antro and Burmi's days as Jets could be numbered. Boy, that sounds like a Lawless comment. :D

RonJon

May 18, 2011
Bob Mckenzie just tweeted this.

WPG prospect Jacob Trouba, the Univ of Michigan D whose NCAA season ended Sun, taking a couple of days to decide if he should turn pro now.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
In other words, trade Hainsey at the end of the week.

While Trouba may be NHL ready, being tough minutes top4 ready is entirely different thing.

Looking at even high-end prospects like Doughty, Pietrangelo, Weber, Bogosian, Hedman, MDZ, Giardi, OEL, etc. These guys either took a year of bottom rung or AHL (or mix), or they sunk when placed in the top4.

And Noel likes to put more weight on the second pair than most coaches... although he hasn't done it that much with having Clitsome, Redmond or Stuart on the second pair for a lot of that season.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Noel's head shaking on Burmi and Antro giveaways may say a lot about their future as Jets.

Burmi continues to try to beat dmen 1-on-1 and turn the puck over at the opposition blueline. That likely is Noel's frustration with him, not getting pucks deep.

Antro has been soft recently in the d-zone, with ill timed turnovers. Can see him saying, "they had more turnovers than the neighborhood bakery!"

Both Antro and Burmi's days as Jets could be numbered. Boy, that sounds like a Lawless comment. :D

Yet after that Burmistrov got promoted to second line.

Also, Burmistrov only had 1 failure for zone entry (the head shake one)... which is the same as Miettinen and Antropov.
He had 2 successful zone entries which was more or tied with anyone not named Kane or Ladd [EDIT: I had Wheeler on here but I was mistaken, it was Ladd].
Also, Burmistrov did have successful dumping the puck zone entries.

I've started tracking Jets' zone entries... this will be fun myth busting time :D

Blackie Dammit

proud flatlander
Jun 27, 2011
Interlake
If Trouba turns pro, which is the rumour of the day...how about taking one one or two of our surplus dmen and trading for a decent linemate for Kane?????

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
If Trouba turns pro, which is the rumour of the day...how about taking one one or two of our surplus dmen and trading for a decent linemate for Kane?????

IMO...

Postma and/or Clitsome + type package could get a decent RWer for Kane.
Postma is also a righty and he holds a decent amount of trade value as a former AHL allstar and having some impressive skills/raw tools.

Kane needs a Ladd to his Wheeler. An infront of the net type guy who is at least fast enough to be there at the right time, but can actually somewhat finish, unlike Miettinen.

Then run the season easing Trouba into pro with:

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Hainsey-Bogosian
Stuart-Trouba
Kulda

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
IMO...

Postma and/or Clitsome + type package could get a decent RWer for Kane.
Postma is also a righty and he holds a decent amount of trade value as a former AHL allstar and having some impressive skills/raw tools.

Kane needs a Ladd to his Wheeler. An infront of the net type guy who is at least fast enough to be there at the right time, but can actually somewhat finish, unlike Miettinen.

Then run the season easing Trouba into pro with:

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Hainsey-Bogosian
Stuart-Trouba
Kulda

Byfuglien-Bogosian-Trouba down the right side.. how sexy is that?

Potential-wise anyways.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
If Trouba turns pro, won't Chevy want to be careful to not play him in more than five regular season games? Would hate to burn a year on his ELC for @ 7-10 games.

Isn't it more likely he'd go to the Icecaps?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Would Trouba going pro be more of a next season thing Jets-wise? Wouldn't he take an ATO/PTO with the Ice Caps for the rest of the season?

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm not sure about the try-out, he may need to officially be on a try-out to play in the AHL this season, but either way he would need to sign an ELC first and lose his NCAA eligibility.

My guess would be the Jets would like him to sign right now, finish out the season with the IceCaps, and then maybe have him up to practise with the big team / be a 'Black Ace' if they make the playoffs.

The hitch may be that he wouldn't want to leave Michigan unless he was guaranteed an NHL spot, as he seems to have said in the past that his college education is important to him, so he may not want to leave if the plan for him isn't NHL sooner rather than later.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Also, Burmistrov only had 1 failure for zone entry (the head shake one)... which is the same as Miettinen and Antropov.
He had 2 successful zone entries which was more or tied with anyone not named Kane or Ladd [EDIT: I had Wheeler on here but I was mistaken, it was Ladd].

I've started tracking Jets' zone entries... this will be fun myth busting time :D

Ya, I noticed he spent some time with Kane and Olli, though I'm wondering if that was more Mitten's play than Burmi's play. Either way, the more Burmi plays with Kane the better. I'm just wondering if Jets coaching staff and management are losing patience with Burmi. Hope not.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If Trouba turns pro, won't Chevy want to be careful to not play him in more than five regular season games? Would hate to burn a year on his ELC for @ 7-10 games.

Isn't it more likely he'd go to the Icecaps?

Depending on how much he plays, playing in St John's would burn a year of his ELC too, no?

Don't think it matters if its with Jets or IceCaps. But his salary would be much different obviously.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Ya, I noticed he spent some time with Kane and Olli, though I'm wondering if that was more Mitten's play than Burmi's play. Either way, the more Burmi plays with Kane the better. I'm just wondering if Jets coaching staff and management are losing patience with Burmi. Hope not.

There were still 5 other players that Noel could have promoted regardless.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
There were still 5 other players that Noel could have promoted regardless.

Well, yes and no.

The options of Welly, tangradi, cormier, thorbs or Antro - with Antro 'in the doghouse too' that really only leaves welly.

And Welly didn't do much with Kane and Olli when they were together before. I'd argue Burmi is the only option there.

Reed Solomon

GO ✈'s GO
Jul 26, 2011
Winnipeg, Man.
they have a darn good chance of finishing first in their division. They may not get that again in the next 5 years.

They won't get that again EVER. Cause it's the SOUTHEAST DIVISION.

we need to win it this year. There will never be another chance unless I suppose global warming melts the ice caps and we really do end up as the southeast.

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
what could burmistrov + shefeile(spelling?) + trouba fetch us at the deadline? a top line winger/center?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

**** yes. let me know if your going to miss a game and i'll try and keep track as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00