What should Chevy do at the deadline?

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Trade Byfuglien. We can probably get a defenseman and a center to play with Kane in return. Something like Coburn and Brayden Schenn from the Flyers or Kadri and Gardiner from the Leafs.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Why not assemble depth, I say. I mean really, another top six RW is not going to cost a ton. Last season AK-47 went for a 2nd and a fourth, I imagine a guy like Drew Stafford would have comparable value in a sellers market where draft picks are more valuable.
If you were to get another guy like Stastny that would be stupendous. Despite what Avs fans may think( I personally think them and Blues Fans are the worst for overvaluing their players), Stastny will not cost alot. Granted they don't have to move him, but I have sincere doubts that he's going to resign there regardless. He has a massive cap hit, no big to us, and is underproducing. Definitely one of those buy low situations. I really believe that Burmi and a pick or twl will get it done.

That would make us look like this...I think anyways

Kane - Stastny - Wheeler
Ladd - Little - Stafford
Tangradi - Jokinen - Wellwood
Wright - Slater - Miettinen

Dealing Antro in this case, I think is do able. I really like Antro, I think he brings alot of experience to the table...but he is kind of expendable. Especially if his return can help us net more of the pieces we need in order to be more successful.

If the Playoffs were to start tomorrow,we would be facing Toronto...and I think that is a very doable series. We could definitely win that.

If we just dealt Antro, with No Stastny...

LLW
KJS(stafford)
Tanger- Burmi- Wellwood
Wright- Slater - Miettinen.

Still not bad...but I really think we need to go hard after another right wing.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Trade Byfuglien. We can probably get a defenseman and a center to play with Kane in return. Something like Coburn and Brayden Schenn from the Flyers or Kadri and Gardiner from the Leafs.

Just for Byfuglien? Not a chance.

I'd try my best to move Jokinen for any return, even if it was something like Jokinen and a 3rd for a 2nd.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Don't jump on me for this, but I would be for a trade with Calgary as follows:

To Calgary: Alexander Burmistrov, 4th round pick 2013
To Winnipeg: Jerome Iginla

If we are poised for us, third, verse sixth then we need not only leaders but goalscorers. For the record, I like Burmi he is a speedy skater has soft hands (when he wants to anyways), and was looking good for awhile. My only issue with him is he isn't really gelling with any specific line on the team (thought I did like the Kane-Jokinen-Burmistrov combo last night), he seems to be afraid to rush the corner and take the hit, yeah I know he is small.

A player like Iginla is a proven leader and goalscorer which is exactly what we need right now.

Lines would be

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Iginla - Wright
Tangradi - Jokinen - Miettinen
Thorburn - Cormier / Slater (IR) - Antropov

Keep defense the same.

Personally I think Wright is being underutilized, he has looked MUCH better than Wellwood in the games he played in. Wellwood has started to come around a bit though, still very shaky.

First line for obvious reasons. Second line Kane not only needs someone who loves to feed the puck and take assists (Iginla) but also needs a faster skater to jump up with him when he rushes the puck, Wright is much faster than Wellwood. Third line would be a mix of size/strength with decent speed. And fourth would be an all out checking line, Antropov's reach and size is really helpful in our zone.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

If we are poised for us, third, verse sixth then we need not only leaders but goalscorers. For the record, I like Burmi he is a speedy skater has soft hands (when he wants to anyways), and was looking good for awhile. My only issue with him is he isn't really gelling with any specific line on the team (thought I did like the Kane-Jokinen-Burmistrov combo last night), he seems to be afraid to rush the corner and take the hit, yeah I know he is small.

A player like Iginla is a proven leader and goalscorer which is exactly what we need right now.

Lines would be

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Iginla - Wright
Tangradi - Jokinen - Miettinen
Thorburn - Cormier / Slater (IR) - Antropov

Keep defense the same.

Personally I think Wright is being underutilized, he has looked MUCH better than Wellwood in the games he played in. Wellwood has started to come around a bit though, still very shaky.

First line for obvious reasons. Second line Kane not only needs someone who loves to feed the puck and take assists (Iginla) but also needs a faster skater to jump up with him when he rushes the puck, Wright is much faster than Wellwood. Third line would be a mix of size/strength with decent speed. And fourth would be an all out checking line, Antropov's reach and size is really helpful in our zone.

I'm not "jumping on you" for this, but I see a few problems. First, Iginla will decide where he goes, because he has that right built into his contract. From all accounts, Winnipeg is not on his list of acceptable destinations (he wants to go to a team that might win the SC very soon).

Second, I think that giving up a young prospect with good potential for an aging vet is not the right approach for the Jets now. Iginla might improve the team in the short term, but he won't put us into serious contention. We would be better to focus on players that fit with the developmental stage of most of our key players, who are either early mid-career, or at the beginning. In a few years we'll have a nice blend of vets (Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Enstrom), along with some early career guys (Bogosian, Kane, Burmistrov), and a few young talents (Trouba, Scheifele, Lowry). That's a nice blend.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

IMO.. no. Not trying to be snide here, but I would say Iginla "was" and no longer "is". Every player gets to a point in their career where it just doesn't happen for them anymore. It's not a knock on the player, it's just that we all lose out to father time eventually, and IMO Iginla has started to reach that time.

2 years ago Iginla had 43G / 86Pts. Last year it was 32G / 67Pts. If you take what he has now and project that out to 82 games for this season, it would be: 24G / 60Pts. Still decent numbers, but would you give up future potential for someone on the down slope who may only play another year or two?

Just me, but Iginla is a rental player for some team close to winning the Cup. That's not us.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
I would REALLY like to see what Kulda can do and know what Trouba's plans are for next year, and if Hainsey has any intentions of resigning here (which I doubt).

IF Kulda can do a good job on a second pairing with Bogo, we really don't need Hainsey that badly.

IF Trouba is going to join us next year we will have Buff, Enstrom, Bogosian, Trouba, Kulda, Stuart, Postma and hopefully Redmond. Hainsey will not be needed for next year.

IF Hainsey won't be resigning, we might as well get what we can for him now.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Hainsey-I really respect him as a player, but the decision is totally up to him. If he signs an extension in the next week for a fair price, we should def keep him. If not, he HAS to be traded and is worth a late first rounder or legitimate prospect... the SC contenders who trade for him will be deep in prospects.

Postma-expendable, as he has not shown NHL calibre D, but maybe someone out there finds him sexy offensively. We have enough RHD depth to trade him for any dec return.

Stuart- Kulda is back for a reason. If Hainsey stays, Stuart is expendable, as Kulda easily fills his skates. If Hains goes, we keep Stu.

I'd love to get a real, young prospect or two for Jokinen and/or Antro, but I doubt it'll happen and we have too little depth at forward to lose them unless we got an offer we couldn't refuse.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
My personal belief is hainsey is not planning to return next year. This is his last legitimate shot at signing with a team who is a perennial playoff contender. He might even take a haircut to sign and have that playoff chance as a depth defenseman with a team like the Bruins, Blues, Ducks, Wings, Wild, Devils, or even Philly. After watching him live several times this year, he is easily replaced, imo.

I would be disappointed if he wasn't moved at the deadline, for quality picks (or prospects). Same for at least one of Antro, Welly, and Mittens. If you can move those players for quality picks, you do, imo. They are not part of the future of this team, imo, and seriously need to be upgraded (now or in the off-season).

I'm all for acquiring picks for these players, and then using picks (but not 1st's), to grab a stafford and/or stastny. But keeping or re-signing any of Hainsey, antro, welly or mittens is a step backwards, imo.

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
wether or not you are a Stanley cup contender or a one and done team in the playoffs, having scoring depth on the 3rd/2nd line is always great.

I would do hainsey for a young 2nd line/3rd line scoring forward. I would do burmistrov + 2nd pick, for a proven middle age goal scorer that at worst can play on the 2nd line. Or maybe burmistrov + 2nd + trouba for a stud goal scorer on a team that is looking to rebuild.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
My personal belief is hainsey is not planning to return next year. This is his last legitimate shot at signing with a team who is a perennial playoff contender. He might even take a haircut to sign and have that playoff chance as a depth defenseman with a team like the Bruins, Blues, Ducks, Wings, Wild, Devils, or even Philly. After watching him live several times this year, he is easily replaced, imo.

I would be disappointed if he wasn't moved at the deadline, for quality picks (or prospects). Same for at least one of Antro, Welly, and Mittens. If you can move those players for quality picks, you do, imo. They are not part of the future of this team, imo, and seriously need to be upgraded (now or in the off-season).

I'm all for acquiring picks for these players, and then using picks (but not 1st's), to grab a stafford and/or stastny. But keeping or re-signing any of Hainsey, antro, welly or mittens is a step backwards, imo.
I don't have an opinion on what Hainsey wants to do, but he fought hard for the players right to cash in in free agency.
It is very possible that he was in that for himself as well.

I do think a warm weather destination suits his beautiful flowing hair though.

I guess we will see. :)

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
My prediction.

Antropov resigns for a short term deal substantially less than he currently makes. I would be okay with this as he is a good penalty killer and is good in the defensive end. Plus when he parks his ass in front of the opposing goalie it is near impossible for the goalie to see, and he digs in dirty rebounds :)

Hainsey is moved at the deadline for some younger talent OR proven goalscorer. Our depth at D is enough to make him pretty much expendable. What that is worth I'm not exactly sure yet. Though we still need to find a team desperate enough to take him.

I can see Wellwood or Burmistrov being tossed into a deal to sweeten it. Chevy isn't in the business to make bad decisions, thus far I think his decisions have been decent.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I don't have an opinion on what Hainsey wants to do, but he fought hard for the players right to cash in in free agency.
It is very possible that he was in that for himself as well.

I do think a warm weather destination suits his beautiful flowing hair though.

I guess we will see. :)

Yup.

Seems to have the flow for Florida, no?
Edit: That playoff juggernaut, aka, the florida panthers.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Hainsey for a late first at the deadline, Giving us two firsts and freeing up that extra 2nd and 3rd a little more to move them for a complimentary winger for Kane. (Basically another Ladd. Fast enough to be on those rushes, skilled enough to belong on a line with Evander, and gritty enough to get down in the crease and bury all of the juicy rebounds from Kane rushes) Basically everything the Jets board agrees we need to compliment Kane.

I think Hainsey is going to leave by his own accord, and IF I am right on that assumption we need to get something for him. If we pick up an extra first, then we can afford to get rid of a second and third, (odds of the first turning into something special are considerably higher) and even if we end up missing out on one good pick we might have had, putting some more firepower and speed on ice with kane will mean a better team, and therefore more playoff experience, in the short and mid term, which is not a bad strategy.

Though I'll miss Hainsey's presence on the board, for sure. I still think it's the long term right move to make.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Hainsey for a late first at the deadline, Giving us two firsts and freeing up that extra 2nd and 3rd a little more to move them for a complimentary winger for Kane.

Though I'll miss Hainsey's presence on the board, for sure. I still think it's the long term right move to make.

Think we are over valuing Ron's worth.....a late first for a 6 week rental??????? Think we should be happy with a mid 2nd plus a later pick

We CAN NOT let assets walk away for nothing and unless Ron signs an extension in the next week he MUST be exchanged for something of value IMO!

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Hainsey for a late first at the deadline, Giving us two firsts and freeing up that extra 2nd and 3rd a little more to move them for a complimentary winger for Kane. (Basically another Ladd. Fast enough to be on those rushes, skilled enough to belong on a line with Evander, and gritty enough to get down in the crease and bury all of the juicy rebounds from Kane rushes) Basically everything the Jets board agrees we need to compliment Kane.

I think Hainsey is going to leave by his own accord, and IF I am right on that assumption we need to get something for him. If we pick up an extra first, then we can afford to get rid of a second and third, (odds of the first turning into something special are considerably higher) and even if we end up missing out on one good pick we might have had, putting some more firepower and speed on ice with kane will mean a better team, and therefore more playoff experience, in the short and mid term, which is not a bad strategy.

I think Chevy would jump at the chance of moving Hainsey for another 2013 1st. I'm not sure that deal is out there. Hope it is.

Antro might get some play, but he has only 3 goals this year. I would expect a huge return for him. If they could get a 2nd or 3rd, that's likely the best Chevy could do.

I like the idea of getting Stafford, and if it costs a 2nd and 'fringe' prospect (Cormier, Telegin, Klingberg, etc), I'm good with that. Stafford, when playing well, brings scoring, he's just not consistent in Buffalo. And the Sabres will want some cap relief, so he might be available 'cheap'.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Think we are over valuing Ron's worth.....a late first for a 6 week rental??????? Think we should be happy with a mid 2nd plus a later pick

We CAN NOT let assets walk away for nothing and unless Ron signs an extension in the next week he MUST be exchanged for something of value IMO!

Didn't say it was likely. But I wouldn't rule it out. Such things have happened before and apparently everyone is saying sellers market this year, so, you never know.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I would be really surprised if Hainsey could yield a 1st round pick, and even more surprised if Chevy turned one down. I tend to agree - if the Jets can get a good prospect or a high enough draft pick, then I think they need to move Hainsey (unless they can re-sign him to a reasonable deal). Chevy is all about "asset management" at this point of the franchise's development, and losing assets for nothing at this stage doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. Hainsey is pretty solid, but I don't think he's going to make the difference that will carry this team beyond the 1st round of the play-offs.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think Chevy would jump at the chance of moving Hainsey for another 2013 1st. I'm not sure that deal is out there. Hope it is.

Antro might get some play, but he has only 3 goals this year. I would expect a huge return for him. If they could get a 2nd or 3rd, that's likely the best Chevy could do.

I like the idea of getting Stafford, and if it costs a 2nd and 'fringe' prospect (Cormier, Telegin, Klingberg, etc), I'm good with that. Stafford, when playing well, brings scoring, he's just not consistent in Buffalo. And the Sabres will want some cap relief, so he might be available 'cheap'.

Detroit traded a late first for Kyle Quincey. They give away their 1s like candy.

Lots of people are talking about Stafford as though his value is huge, but he should be a great buy low candidate at this point. He isn't scoring. He has been scratched. He has $ and term heading his way. I wonder how many teams will be scared off by the money.

It will be fun to watch. Hopefully Chevy jobs someone.

Anything is possible.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Douglas Murray to the Pens for 2 second round picks going back to the Sharks. Really makes you wonder what Hainsey would get. Two second round picks is a pretty good return.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think that the upcoming changes to the salary cap are going to put a premium on expiring contracts (like Hainsey and Antro). Teams that want to win this season can't afford to bring on a vet with salary commitment going forward.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I would like to resign Big Ron, but he would net a first rounder for sure. Trade him to Chi so that he can play with Oduya ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad