What should Chevy do at the deadline?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Okay. Would you trade Hainsey for a draft pick between 25 and 40 in the upcoming draft? I think I wouldn't mind that.

It's a worthy debate Whilee and kind of fun.

I think we probably place a different value on Ron currently for the Jets.....I think moving him for draft picks would send the wrong message and might even cost us a playoff spot and certainly diminish our ability to win a round (of coase I might be wrong ;)).

I would not deal Ron for draft picks at this point.....I "might" move Ron in package deal with one of our 2nd round picks for a blue chip prospect that was ready to play 2nd line right wing now but being held back due to a teams depth. If a strong team was in desperate need of a top 4 shut down LH D man for the stretch drive and was overflowing with quality RW's then you never know but I think it's a long shot. I only use this as an example of what I might consider if Ron is planning on moving on.....at this point I would prefer to keep him for the run based on what I believe he adds to our team.....not every team unloads pending UFA's at the deadline.

I get your point though Whileee and I guess we shall see soon enough.

jetkarma*

If Chevy has approached Hainsey to re up and has offered a fair deal and Hainsey does not / will not sign a new deal before becoming a FA , I think that impacts things.

If the players know this it is not the same as trading a guy that is liked , respected and battled with you and would hurt your chance for playoff success.

Value like we got for Oduya or more would be not insignificant imo and as assets can be used for the future or the present.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Back to my Antropov theory that no one else cares about. I like to compare him to Gaustad, same size, but Antro produces way more points than Gaustad and the Preds gave up a 1st for him, is there any team out there willing to do the same this year?

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
It's a worthy debate Whilee and kind of fun.

I think we probably place a different value on Ron currently for the Jets.....I think moving him for draft picks would send the wrong message and might even cost us a playoff spot and certainly diminish our ability to win a round (of coase I might be wrong ;)).

I would not deal Ron for draft picks at this point.....I "might" move Ron in package deal with one of our 2nd round picks for a blue chip prospect that was ready to play 2nd line right wing now but being held back due to a teams depth. If a strong team was in desperate need of a top 4 shut down LH D man for the stretch drive and was overflowing with quality RW's then you never know but I think it's a long shot. I only use this as an example of what I might consider if Ron is planning on moving on.....at this point I would prefer to keep him for the run based on what I believe he adds to our team.....not every team unloads pending UFA's at the deadline.

I get your point though Whileee and I guess we shall see soon enough.

The debate is fun, and I respect all the opinions here. Where I disagree with you ps on this one is the bolded part of your premise. I don't believe that on a "strong team" Ron Hainsey is a top 4 shut down guy. He happens to be in our top 4 because of our defensive talent level and experience.

Here is also what I believe. I think that Ron Hainsey will want to test the free agent market (good on him, his right to do so), and I also firmly believe that TNSE is just fine with Hainsey moving on. I think that the org is spending these first couple of years figuring out what "pieces" of this group they want to invest in and keep, and which pieces they are fine with going elsewhere. If they move the Hainsey's and the Antro's it is not like they are breaking up the 1978 Montreal Canadiens. This is a "group" that has struggled to compete or make the playoffs for many years (I don't think Hains has ever played in the playoffs in his career).

I am not going to be upset if we move some pieces, nor do I think it means we are sending a message that we don't want to make the playoffs. I think we can still make the playoffs even if we move guys...again, just my opinion and I reserve the right to be proven wrong ;)

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Doubt any team gives a first for Antropov unless their targets all get moved elsewhere and they become desperate. Even then I wouldn't count on it.

I am sure that teams like Boston, Chicago maybe Montreal etc would be interested, but not at the cost of their 1st.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The debate is fun, and I respect all the opinions here. Where I disagree with you ps on this one is the bolded part of your premise. I don't believe that on a "strong team" Ron Hainsey is a top 4 shut down guy. He happens to be in our top 4 because of our defensive talent level and experience.

Here is also what I believe. I think that Ron Hainsey will want to test the free agent market (good on him, his right to do so), and I also firmly believe that TNSE is just fine with Hainsey moving on. I think that the org is spending these first couple of years figuring out what "pieces" of this group they want to invest in and keep, and which pieces they are fine with going elsewhere. If they move the Hainsey's and the Antro's it is not like they are breaking up the 1978 Montreal Canadiens. This is a "group" that has struggled to compete or make the playoffs for many years (I don't think Hains has ever played in the playoffs in his career).

I am not going to be upset if we move some pieces, nor do I think it means we are sending a message that we don't want to make the playoffs. I think we can still make the playoffs even if we move guys...again, just my opinion and I reserve the right to be proven wrong ;)

I am not saying Ron is a shoe in top 4 on every team but the problem with so many teams now (even the good ones) is depth. Remember last year when Johnny O left us and jumped into Chicago's top 4 right away (I think I got that right). That is what I am talking about.....a very good team with gaps. even Pittsburgh had Tanner Glass playing on the 3rd line for a stretch this season. :help:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Sitting in the SE lead, you don't do anything............maybe even look at adding a player. The market just isn't there for rentals. I had previously been in favour of trading hainsey and Antro for anything, but not now.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Sitting in the SE lead, you don't do anything............maybe even look at adding a player. The market just isn't there for rentals. I had previously been in favour of trading hainsey and Antro for anything, but not now.

Except if you are the Penguins.

I pretty much agree. We already have a boat load of picks in the draft I don't see the value of trading either Hainsey or Antro for some mid level picks. On the other hand if Chevy could swing something big to help us that would be fun.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
The optics of making the playoffs for the first time in the market and not doing something to bolster the team... well they would be poor I think.

Both with the fans and more importantly, in the locker room.

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
I would trade picks for depth scoring/injury relief. I the jets get eliminated in the playoffs, I want them to at least ice a decent roster and not one that is ravaged by injuries sustained during the playoffs.

Also from a management point of view, if you cant win the cup, at least go far in the playoffs and make some money. So Iam guessing with a lot of picks, the Jets will trade some away for depth/rental.

would you guys be interested in teddy purcell of the lightnings?

Last edited:

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
We don't need no more depth as in grinders, tough guys, character guys, guys good in the dressing room, good defensively, etc. We need a center and right winger to play with Kane. I will be pissed if we trade Hainsey for a second round pick. We have a chance to win the division and could beat the Leafs in the first round. I have confidence in Chevy and he will add a legitimate scorer to play with Kane or he will stand pat.

roosemoose

Mar 3, 2013
Morden, MB
I wouldn't sell any of our picks at this point....we have ten coming into this draft and we NEED all the prospect we can get into our system. I would try and buy a top six ufa this summer aka Phil Kessel to play with Kane but of course I am living in my own dream world!

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

Never say never. It's not black and white, as every deal has its costs and benefits.
Eg, if we beat Carolina tomorrow and, the next day, Boston offers a #1 pick or equivalent prospect for Hainsey, you do the deal and replace him in the off-season with a UFA. Statistically, we would still be likely to win the SE and could benefit for years to come by the trade.
You don't do anything...unless it's the right deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->