What should Chevy do at the deadline?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Dump Jokinen for whatever any other team want's to give you which won't be very much.

Three untouchables on the Jets: Kane, Ladd, Bogo. Trade, move who ever else.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As the game against the Pens showed, the Jets will need quite a bit more talent to be a real contender. The only way to do that is to pick up young assets and develop them, and hope that a few can turn into top-shelf players, or can be used to trade for that. The worst thing for a franchise is to forego assets because the GM thinks it is better than it is. I think that they should see if they can get good picks or young prospects for Hainsey and perhaps Antro. We don't want to be stuck in limbo like other teams that haven't planned for the future.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
As the game against the Pens showed, the Jets will need quite a bit more talent to be a real contender. The only way to do that is to pick up young assets and develop them, and hope that a few can turn into top-shelf players, or can be used to trade for that. The worst thing for a franchise is to forego assets because the GM thinks it is better than it is. I think that they should see if they can get good picks or young prospects for Hainsey and perhaps Antro. We don't want to be stuck in limbo like other teams that haven't planned for the future.

I'd argue the worst thing a franchise can do is sell assets every single year and end up perpetually rebuilding ala Columbus.

Teams need to progress out of rebuilds. Nobody thinks this team is a top top end team. But they need the experience from a playoff run. And I don't think the risk of selling assets off is worth the risk of missing playoffs. IMO. This team has been stuck in the 18th-23rd in the league for FAR too long.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't want us to be a net seller of assets nor do I want to mortgage our future for now...If we shuffle the deck chairs on the ship I want us to be as good now so we can take the next step forward this year. Our young core needs to taste the playoffs collectively as a group together now and "begin" our assention to a perennial playoff team as they age up towards their primes.

It is my opinion that a playoff spot this year at this time would be > than anything we get back in a sell off of UFA assets (Unless we get a 1st for Ron then we might have to think about it)

Group growth now > a few more picks for someday maybe

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
....why?

We're in a playoff position....why would we sell off anyone?

Making the play-offs out of the very weak South-East Division and being a Stanley Cup contender are two very different things young grasshopper.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd argue the worst thing a franchise can do is sell assets every single year and end up perpetually rebuilding ala Columbus.

Teams need to progress out of rebuilds. Nobody thinks this team is a top top end team. But they need the experience from a playoff run. And I don't think the risk of selling assets off is worth the risk of missing playoffs. IMO. This team has been stuck in the 18th-23rd in the league for FAR too long.

I understand, but if the Jets can't make it through the final 10 games without Hainsey, then they are in sad shape. This year, they've played most of the time without 1 or more of their top D, and have done fine. If they can snag a good prospect for Hainsey (who they will lose at the end of the year anyway), I think they should do it. Maybe it's because I don't see Hainsey as being that valuable to the Jets for the final 10 games and the playoffs.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I don't want us to be a net seller of assets nor do I want to mortgage our future for now...If we shuffle the deck chairs on the ship I want us to be as good now so we can take the next step forward this year. Our young core needs to taste the playoffs collectively as a group together now and "begin" our assention to a perennial playoff team as they age up towards their primes.

It is my opinion that a playoff spot this year at this time would be > than anything we get back in a sell off of UFA assets (Unless we get a 1st for Ron then we might have to think about it)

Playoffs and the chance to win a playoff series also means fat stacks of cash for TNSE.

Something like 6 home games over two playoff series would be huge money and huge exposure nationally.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I agree. We should strive to get in the playoffs for the development of the franchise. My point is that I think that the team should be able to make it without Hainsey for the last 10 games. Of course, if we can't get a good asset for Hainsey, they should hang on to him.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Making the play-offs out of the very weak South-East Division and being a Stanley Cup contender are two very different things young grasshopper.

The number of team that go into sell mode while they are above the playoff line is very small. It is a bit of an odd ball approach.

Bad division or not, the Jets would be in at the moment. The fact that they could get to host a playoff serious is not something that should be taken lightly. Seriously, may be years before that happens again.

Also some food for thought:

What would their record be if Pav wasn't terrible early in the season? They could legitimately be in 4th or 5th.

EDIT

I would trade Ron if the return was big enough, but there a ton of grey area in the decision.

Last edited:

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Seller, buyer, rebuild.

Three of the most overused words by armchair hockey experts these days, with their fancy PhDs in watching TSN fill their air time with hot air!

At the end of the day, grizzled folks who have been in the game will know that there is no magic potion. Sometimes you have to treat it like a sport and go out, compete, and get better by doing.

I expect we'll pretty much stand pat.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The number of team that go into sell mode while they are above the playoff line is very small. It is a bit of an odd ball approach.

Bad division or not, the Jets would be in at the moment. The fact that they could get to host a playoff serious is not something that should be taken lightly.

What would their record be if Pav wasn't terrible early in the season? They could legitimately be in 4th or 5th.

Considering 60% of NHL teams do make the playoff's I still think if the right trade is available and makes sense Chevy does a deal, losing Jokinen in any manner would be sweet.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Who would take Jokinen's role?

We have that Burmistrov guy playing 4th line :naughty:

Honestly, Jokinen is so much worse than I thought he would be. It sucks because his attitude and 200 foot game are much improved. But he's simply not effective in a scoring role anymore. And he just doesn't have the makeup of what a 3rd line center is on a contender. Below average physicality, average faceoffs, not shut down player...

Only thing is with the cap being at $64M next year, no contender is going to have the cap space to bring in Jokinen making 3x what he's worth even if they were duped into thinking he's still got something left in the tank. Sad but true.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Joki has under performed so far this year..... but I predict he will be a difference maker this post season.......

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

Bad division or not, the Jets would be in at the moment. The fact that they could get to host a playoff serious is not something that should be taken lightly. Seriously, may be years before that happens again.

EDIT

I would trade Ron if the return was big enough, but there a ton of grey area in the decision.

Yep. And perhaps the most intriguing aspect of all, is the Eastern Conference is pretty well Pittsburgh, Boston, then a free for all.

And, anything can happen in the 1st round, or any round for that matter. Who know what doors or opportunities open up as the playoffs progress.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

EDIT

Okay. Would you trade Hainsey for a draft pick between 25 and 40 in the upcoming draft? I think I wouldn't mind that.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I could see Chevy being more inclined to trade Antro before Hainsey if he could get something decent for him. Antro gets ripped on but he could be a great depth addition to a team looking to go on a good run. Burmi can take his place on the third line between Wright and Wellwood and when Slater returns he can centre Peluso, Tangradi/Thor. Or we call up O'Dell till Slater is healthy.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Yep. And perhaps the most intriguing aspect of all, is the Eastern Conference is pretty well Pittsburgh, Boston, then a free for all.

And, anything can happen in the 1st round, or any round for that matter. Who know what doors or opportunities open up as the playoffs progress.

Exactly, you never know, If we make it past the first round, we could play a boston team that is banged up after a long series vs say Ottawa. You never know

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
People are dreaming if they think any team is going to trade for Ollie. Jussi who has almost the same stats as Ollie, is younger than Ollie, on a contract of the same length but less caphit than Ollie couldn't get any trade offers, heck he even cleared the waivers. Considering that, it is almost impossible for a team to trade for Ollie unless some team suddenly gets hit by crippling injuries to their top 3 centers in the next gew days.

Wedgeden

Mar 31, 2012
Trading Ron Hainsey is NOT something that should be taken lightly. He is currently 4th in the league in blocked shots, is arguably the most consistent defensive minded defenseman on the team, is very good at tying up opposing forwards sticks, and getting in the way of the shooting lanes. Oh.. and he won't try to do an odd man rush while killing a penalty ala Buff/Enstrom. People shouldn't let their opinions of his lack of physical play or slow skating get in the way of his other assets. There's a reason Boston wants this guy. If he gets traded, the Jets will miss him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad