Player Discussion What makes J.T Miller such a good player? (2021 Edition)

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
If Torts was our coach, JT Miller would have been benched for the rest of the game after that first goal last night.

Edler obviously messed that play up but look at the difference between Schmidt and Miller here.

He's putting up the points still but man he's been so disappointing this year.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Miller's effort level this season, described in one picture:
sitr4-082315.gif

What the hell happened? Last season he was an effort demon, always hustling, chasing pucks, winning the board battles and doing the hard work. Apparently he thinks he can be a cherry picking, lazy star now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Somebody asked the rhetorical question of how Miller would be faring if Torts was still his coach. I think Torts was his first NHL coach with the Rangers when they were trying to school him out of all of his brain-cramp turnovers as a rookie. Seemed to work once he got to Tampa, and for most of last year.

But this year, it's back to the Ranger blue Miller. A huge reason why you can never judge a trade based on one good year.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Is Tampa laughing all the way to the bank with those assets + cap relief we gave them? They dropped a baby from their roster and then picked up a stanley cup.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
He hasn't been good, but no way would I trade him. Easily our best forward last year. If Boeser keeps goin, and Petey bounces back, things could align next season.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
JT "Turnover" Miller is not looking like himself

Or is it last year’s JT “80 point pace game breaker” Miller the one who didn’t look like himself?

Because whether we want to admit or not, last year currently stands as the anomaly with this player not this year.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Is Tampa laughing all the way to the bank with those assets + cap relief we gave them? They dropped a baby from their roster and then picked up a stanley cup.

I think they are obviously happy with the end result. I think the Canucks are happy with theirs as well. The Canucks got a 27 year old point per game 1st line winger on a good contract for what turned out to be the 20th and 71st overall picks. Should be able to beat that return in a Miller trade.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think they are obviously happy with the end result. I think the Canucks are happy with theirs as well. The Canucks got a 27 year old point per game 1st line winger on a good contract for what turned out to be the 20th and 71st overall picks. Should be able to beat that return in a Miller trade.
Could Miller return a 20-24 year old top four D man?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Or is it last year’s JT “80 point pace game breaker” Miller the one who didn’t look like himself?

Because whether we want to admit or not, last year currently stands as the anomaly with this player not this year.
He's close to a point per game this season..same as last year.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
So many bad takes
It’s like a player can’t have a bad start of stretch
Actually, he’s not even playing that bad

What about his visible pouting, whining and extreme lack of effort? Or is it just a bad take to expect professionalism out of one of our "leaders"?

Reactions: vanuck

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I

I'm pretty sure nobody is happy with what they have seen from Miller so far. You can't have a player acting the way he is night in and night out, and if our management can't recognize this then they are even more out of touch with reality than I thought

Reactions: David71

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
One thing I noted that I don't know if its really a big deal or not but when he got put on COVID exposure list for living with Jordie Benn I thought it might be not a positive indicator that he's in it long term here that he doesn't have his own place or have his family here (although I totally understand why during COVID his family is back in Pennsylvania).

Reactions: F A N

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He's close to a point per game this season..same as last year.

yes but is he the game breaker he was last year? No.Not even close. His play has been pretty disinterested at times with no attention to detail. That’s sort of the things he was known for before he got to Vancouver and wasn’t in his game last year.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm pretty sure nobody is happy with what they have seen from Miller so far. You can't have a player acting the way he is night in and night out, and if our management can't recognize this then they are even more out of touch with reality than I thought

One thing I noted that I don't know if its really a big deal or not but when he got put on COVID exposure list for living with Jordie Benn I thought it might be not a positive indicator that he's in it long term here that he doesn't have his own place or have his family here (although I totally understand why during COVID his family is back in Pennsylvania).

Ya that's a bit weird. On the other hand, Miller might have let his lease lapse due to the return to play uncertainty?

I want to give Miller the benefit of the doubt. This past year was probably the first time he spent so much time with family and it must be tough to be away from them for such an extended period of time. He lost his mother in law to brain cancer during the start of the playoffs and his wife is taking care of two young ones by herself back home miles away in a different country. COVID can impact one's mental health and we have no idea what's going on with Miller right now. There's been no trade requests reported. There's been no benching from Green. It's possible that he's playing through some things and the team is aware of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
yes but is he the game breaker he was last year? No.Not even close. His play has been pretty disinterested at times with no attention to detail. That’s sort of the things he was known for before he got to Vancouver and wasn’t in his game last year.
No argument that his game has gone down this year.(he's still on a point per game pace as last year.)...a few other of the top players struggling as well.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

maybe he should sit out a few games and see from uptop. but green wouldnt do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad