Player Discussion What makes J.T Miller such a good player? (2021 Edition)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Before selling him at a loss I kinda want to see what he looks like with a quality GM and head coach in place.

We can leverage that on a trade.

I think Miller might have given up on the management rather than the team. I think he's sick and tired of Green and Benning. We

Sadly the Canucks can't afford to trade Miller. The team won't sell him for futures as organization is done with rebuilding. It also sends a message to the core that they aren't ready to compete for the playoffs. A young/bad team has no use for Miller. You trade him to a contender for a first (low first in bad draft) or you keep him. Those are the options right now.

Besides, who replaces him in the top 6? You can't name me one player that would make sense. (Assuming Hoglander is already in the top 6). Virtanen? Eriksson? Sutter? If you think EP is pouty now he might request for a trade at that point.

I get the arguments above. The logic from me is that Benning has basically punted a decade off this franchise. He's done so much damage that not even an incoming GM can turn the ship around in short order. The Canucks simply are not going to be contenders within the lifetime of Miller's current contract.

The only option left then is to deal him and get ready for (an intentional) rebuild. His value now is high. Best we capitalize. A team like the Oilers might chase and foolishly give us their 1st+. The Oilers could conceivably miss the playoffs and hand us a lottery pick. Maybe a team like Philly gets desperate if they're behind in the chase too.

The reality is just that the team is nowhere near where they need to be and there's no way to turn it around. The only realistic option is a scorched earth rebuild. It's not about replacing Miller. It's about rebuilding the franchise, which is the only way for this team to return to contender status. I'd look to deal every single player off this roster not named Petey, Hughes, or Hoglander. It sucks, but that's where Benning has put us. There's just not any cap flexibility until the likes of Myers, Schmidt, Miller, Horvat, etc expire. No way to improve. So it starts with trading Miller.

Speak for yourselves. I am a huge fan. Regardless if the fans are looking for a villain. He wears his passion on his sleeve. Other players may be passive aggressive. He's struggling and putting in a lousy effort, nearly every single player is.

This reminds me of when people were down on Hamhuis after a very very rare bad stretch of games, you know you're reaching when you start to look at certain players. Incredible to anybody who would look to move on from this player or think he's a big part of this. This team was struggling and circling the drain before he was even in the lineup. When Miller was gone, the core/stars were looking absolutely LOST.

This isn't like Hamhuis at all. This isn't a case of a player struggling. This is a case of a player putting in such a listless effort that the only reasonable conclusion is that it's intentional. This isn't just "going through the motions". It's an effort level beer leaguers would get chirped for. Dubois is jealous of Miller's performance.

If Virtanen put in a performance like Miller the last few games, he'd never see the ice again. Miller shouldn't be treated any differently.

Reactions: Yourwifeson

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The relationship between Miller and the Canucks looks to be broken permanently.

When your employer screws you, usually you screw your employer in return.

People really should stop taking what Miller is doing so personally.

He's not doing to you. He's doing it to his employer.

Just like Chris Higgins and Dan Hamhuis and Radim Vrbata and and and....

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I get the arguments above. The logic from me is that Benning has basically punted a decade off this franchise. He's done so much damage that not even an incoming GM can turn the ship around in short order. The Canucks simply are not going to be contenders within the lifetime of Miller's current contract.

The only option left then is to deal him and get ready for (an intentional) rebuild. His value now is high. Best we capitalize. A team like the Oilers might chase and foolishly give us their 1st+. The Oilers could conceivably miss the playoffs and hand us a lottery pick. Maybe a team like Philly gets desperate if they're behind in the chase too.

The reality is just that the team is nowhere near where they need to be and there's no way to turn it around. The only realistic option is a scorched earth rebuild. It's not about replacing Miller. It's about rebuilding the franchise, which is the only way for this team to return to contender status. I'd look to deal every single player off this roster not named Petey, Hughes, or Hoglander. It sucks, but that's where Benning has put us. There's just not any cap flexibility until the likes of Myers, Schmidt, Miller, Horvat, etc expire. No way to improve. So it starts with trading Miller.

This isn't like Hamhuis at all. This isn't a case of a player struggling. This is a case of a player putting in such a listless effort that the only reasonable conclusion is that it's intentional. This isn't just "going through the motions". It's an effort level beer leaguers would get chirped for. Dubois is jealous of Miller's performance.

If Virtanen put in a performance like Miller the last few games, he'd never see the ice again. Miller shouldn't be treated any differently.

Cause and effect.

Vrbata had a decent year with a good C in Bonez.

Take Bonez away, Vrbata starts pouting and f***ing the dog.

Why?

Because ownership made the team worse and his life more difficult.

Same exact thing is happening right now with Miller.

Reactions: cookiefest

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020

The reasoning is different but the point I was trying to make is that certain players earn themselves some leeway, whether that's an emotional tantrum or a poor start to the season, etc. Especially when we don't know the whole story. Especially when the team is mismanaged and were rewarded for taking a step forward last year with letting every player walk for nothing, because the GM was distracted

Again, it's just about every player giving up right now, some are just making it a bit more obvious. And again, this team was a mess prior to his arrival. So far, Miller has actually shown to step up his game in games where the rest of the team is not playing their best, so for people to be looking at him :/

You don't think Pettersson is capable of ALOT more, there is clearly something going on and it's NOT Miller

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wouldnt be suprised if Miller walks or asks for a trade. What a mess this team has become
Yep, I could definitely see this happening. When the Canucks failed to sign any of their UFA's and then shunned Miller when it came to assigning alternate captains, I think the trust was irrevocably broken. He's just going through the motions out there.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The reasoning is different but the point I was trying to make is that certain players earn themselves some leeway, whether that's an emotional tantrum or a poor start to the season, etc. Especially when we don't know the whole story. Especially when the team is mismanaged and were rewarded for taking a step forward last year with letting every player walk for nothing, because the GM was distracted

Again, it's just about every player giving up right now, some are just making it a bit more obvious. And again, this team was a mess prior to his arrival. So far, Miller has actually shown to step up his game in games where the rest of the team is not playing their best, so for people to be looking at him :/

You don't think Pettersson is capable of ALOT more, there is clearly something going on and it's NOT Miller

Yah, I think Petey is capable of a lot more. We've all seen it. But Petey isn't actively trying to hurt the team. He isn't doing such obvious "controller disconnected" moments that our generally even-keeled goaltenders are giving him death stares for.

Yes, we know something is going on. Doesn't matter. You're a professional. Put in some modicum of effort. Stecher signed with a Detroit team who's goal is to finish dead last, yet Detroit's fans are praising him for his efforts and feistiness.

Miller's attitude is on a much different level. There's no excuse for it. And Miller should not have the leeway to perform like this. No player does. It's not "a bit more obvious". It's pathetic.

Cause and effect.

Vrbata had a decent year with a good C in Bonez.

Take Bonez away, Vrbata starts pouting and f***ing the dog.

Why?

Because ownership made the team worse and his life more difficult.

Same exact thing is happening right now with Miller.

It's not the same. They didn't take away Miller's favourites. He's still lining up with Petey and Brock and stapled to the 1PP. Miller has decided he just doesn't want to play. Fine. Don't let him play then. He's a pouter and I'm seeing why NY and TB were quick to punt on him.

Reactions: Makar27

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Yah, I think Petey is capable of a lot more. We've all seen it. But Petey isn't actively trying to hurt the team. He isn't doing such obvious "controller disconnected" moments that our generally even-keeled goaltenders are giving him death stares for.

Yes, we know something is going on. Doesn't matter. You're a professional. Put in some modicum of effort. Stecher signed with a Detroit team who's goal is to finish dead last, yet Detroit's fans are praising him for his efforts and feistiness.

Miller's attitude is on a much different level. There's no excuse for it. And Miller should not have the leeway to perform like this. No player does. It's not "a bit more obvious". It's pathetic.

It's not the same. They didn't take away Miller's favourites. He's still lining up with Petey and Brock and stapled to the 1PP. Miller has decided he just doesn't want to play. Fine. Don't let him play then. He's a pouter and I'm seeing why NY and TB were quick to punt on him.

Have you ever worked for a shitty boss?

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Have you ever worked for a shitty boss?

So when you work for a shitty boss you just mail it in and make your co-workers work twice as hard on your behalf? you make them deal with your pouting? Do you cost certain co-workers Hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars in future contract negotiation because you decide to mail it in and give them no support and do you show frustration and bad examples to your young co-workers?

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
So when you work for a shitty boss you just mail it in and make your co-workers work twice as hard on your behalf? you make them deal with your pouting? Do you cost certain co-workers Hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars in future contract negotiation because you decide to mail it in and give them no support and do you show frustration and bad examples to your young co-workers?
Yes that does happen. Stop trying to moralise it. Lol

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Yes that does happen. Stop trying to moralise it. Lol

Miller has been here one year...how emotionally attached to the guys who left and this team can he be? He makes 4.5 million and he's not even trying and you're defending it and I'm moralizing it? We were up 6-1 on Ottawa, season was at least still salvageable and he's yelling and smashing his stick? Who tf does that?

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Miller has been here one year...how emotionally attached to the guys who left and this team can he be? He makes 4.5 million and he's not even trying and you're defending it and I'm moralizing it? We were up 6-1 on Ottawa, season was at least still salvageable and he's yelling and smashing his stick? Who tf does that?

Did you see Holtby's reaction tonight? Have you ever been a part of a team that had a guy who acts like that? It's cancerous

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Has nothing to do with being emotionally attached to others and everything to do with team performance.

And if the head of the team (Benning) is "actively" sabotaging that performance then that sets the tone.

This has literally be called by some of our more thoughtful posters on here. That Bennings move are sabotaging the team and will result in basically what we see here performance wise.

Canucks arenet losing because Miller is sulking. Theyve been losing all season and theyve been losing because they have a bunch of players who suck and who also happen to be paid a lot.

Miller might be most prominent but Id also argue that Pettersson has also checked out.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
These clowns are being paid millions to do their job. Their effort level is atrocious, and is inexcusable. They are professionals and should really start to focus on being part of the solution, not part of the problem. I'm sorry but what happened to pride?
I don't see this happening with players of the past, have we become that spoiled?

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
These conspiracy theories that JT (or anyone else on the team, really) is upset that Benning didn't re-sign Tanev, Marky, Toffoli, etc. are so unbelievably odd to me. Like that somehow constitutes "giving up on the team"?

Yes, the team had good chemistry last year... but none of those guys truly move the needle, and this year's team is better on paper.

Toffoli has made us look bad to a hilarious degree, but that's just him getting in the team's head and feasting on us. He is a 20 goal scorer in this league, an opportunist with a good release. Would we like that on our team still, sure. But I mean, c'mon... we're talking way too much about a slightly above-average NHL forward.

Markstrom is good, but not so good that he would have any impact on what's happening with the team right now.
Tanev's career looked done 3+ years ago, and good on him for getting the contract.

It's literally Pettersson that JT is pissed at. He knows the wunderkind will always have more clout than him with the team, and they just aren't playing for one another anymore. I'm a huge fan on JT Miller, but I wish his frustration bubbled up in a healthier way. He is clearly pouting out there and thinks the team has "let him down" or something, when he himself is not playing nearly well enough. He needs to lift Petey and co. up, not glare at them. He's acting like a 5th grader does to a 4th grader.

The thing is... Petey will be fine. He's still incredibly young and slight, and he can't do the heavy-lifting on his own. But if Miller isn't doing it, it ain't happening.

Team defence right now is some of the worst I've ever seen as a fan, and Quinn Hughes can't keep getting bullied out there.
If I'm Jimbo and I want to keep my job, I'm getting word out around town that JT Miller++ is available in a package for the top 2 Dman with size Vancouver has been searching for over a decade to find.

Reactions: Yourwifeson

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
These conspiracy theories that JT (or anyone else on the team, really) is upset that Benning didn't re-sign Tanev, Marky, Toffoli, etc. are so unbelievably odd to me. Like that somehow constitutes "giving up on the team"?

Yes, the team had good chemistry last year... but none of those guys truly move the needle, and this year's team is better on paper.

Toffoli has made us look bad to a hilarious degree, but that's just him getting in the team's head and feasting on us. He is a 20 goal scorer in this league, an opportunist with a good release. Would we like that on our team still, sure. But I mean, c'mon... we're talking way too much about a slightly above-average NHL forward.

Markstrom is good, but not so good that he would have any impact on what's happening with the team right now.
Tanev's career looked done 3+ years ago, and good on him for getting the contract.

It's literally Pettersson that JT is pissed at. He knows the wunderkind will always have more clout than him with the team, and they just aren't playing for one another anymore. I'm a huge fan on JT Miller, but I wish his frustration bubbled up in a healthier way. He is clearly pouting out there and thinks the team has "let him down" or something, when he himself is not playing nearly well enough. He needs to lift Petey and co. up, not glare at them. He's acting like a 5th grader does to a 4th grader.

The thing is... Petey will be fine. He's still incredibly young and slight, and he can't do the heavy-lifting on his own. But if Miller isn't doing it, it ain't happening.

Team defence right now is some of the worst I've ever seen as a fan, and Quinn Hughes can't keep getting bullied out there.
If I'm Jimbo and I want to keep my job, I'm getting word out around town that JT Miller++ is available in a package for the top 2 Dman with size Vancouver has been searching for over a decade to find.

Benning hasn't been able to identify a legit DFD in his 7 years here, whether it be through the draft or FA. The best D he's picked up have been OFD (Hughes/Schmidt). The one time he tried to trade for the needed Dmen with size, the Canucks ended up with Gudbranson.

Reactions: LordBacon

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You can tell a lot about a captain when things are going bad. And frankly, I haven't been all that impressed with Horvat lately.

J.T. Miller has more leadership in one pinky than Bo has in his entire body. That's what makes Miller's early season performance so dispiriting. I think he cares--probably too much....since it appears the ownership has run up a white flag on this season, and it's probably eating him up.

Reactions: David71

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
There is obviously a problem with Miller but the notion that he is throwing a snit because he "feels betrayed by management" is ludicrous. Whatever is going on, the guy is a professional and he should behave like one.

Reactions: LordBacon

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he asks for a trade, and if/when that happens,
that last bit of chemistry left in the locker would be gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad