Player Discussion What makes J.T Miller such a good player? (2021 Edition)

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Imagine how Sutter feels after Pittsburgh wins two cups as soon as he was traded
I'm not sure they would've won those two Cups with Sutter vs Bonino. Moreso because Bonino fit perfectly/had chemistry with the 'straw that stirred the drink' on that line - Kessel. Bonino had the better ability to use his wingers (as least compared to Sutter).

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Here's one view of JT Miller following the 2016-2017 season:

In a year that saw the Rangers get off to one of the hottest starts imaginable, Miller was doing the heavy lifting when the main faucets of offense clogged up. Between himself, Kevin Hayes, and Michael Grabner, Miller was part of one of the more dominant lines the Rangers threw onto the ice all year. In terms of consistency, you’d be hard pressed to find a forward who was more active than Miller. Miller finished the regular season second with his 56 points — nestled right next to Mats Zuccarello and his 59 for the team lead. To help paint the picture a little more, he was 4th on the team in assists and goals. He was good. Damn good.

Personally, I think the Rangers during the last 3 years of Miller's time in NY were like the post 2011 Cup run Canucks with AV as coach. They really weren't as good of a team as their standings suggested.
We had a real solid run for some years with no real star power in the line up besides hank. He masked a lot of issues and stole a lot of games. If McDonaugh doesn’t fracture Zuccarello’s skull with that shot the kings series in the finals would have been a lot different. Even if we didn’t win it would have been closer. I remember that line, they were on fire. Grabner scored a lot of goals. Kevin Hayes really came into his own that year as a complete player. Hayes and grabs didn’t the heavy lifting defensively, grabs was a monster on the forecheck with his speed. Like I said Miller has all the tools and talent, but for some reason he doesn’t bring it every night. And he goes thru long periods like that. He still shows up on the score sheet with a goal here and assist there, but his overall game will be bad. His nickname in NY was Bozo as stated above because he would just do think that would make you scratch your head. He’s older now, and I’m sure he’s grown as a person and a player I was just pointing out that what most fans are writing about in this thread has plagued JT his entire career

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I'm not sure they would've won those two Cups with Sutter vs Bonino. Moreso because Bonino fit perfectly/had chemistry with the 'straw that stirred the drink' on that line - Kessel. Bonino had the better ability to use his wingers (as least compared to Sutter).
Haglein was the speed, Bonino was the muscle and smarts, and kessel was the trigger man and talent. That line was a mismatch for anyone going up against them. They ate other teams 3rd and 4th lines for breakfast. Can’t believe they stole Hags from the ducks for basically nothing

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Imagine how Sutter feels after Pittsburgh wins two cups as soon as he was traded
1f55982d-cc7e-453b-a19c-7143430f2098-gif.393242

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
So McDonagh was traded for contractual reasons and the only reason Miller was traded was because he was a bad pro?

When the trade was made I didn't see Tampa Bay fans talking about Miller's motivation problems. They saw it as a trade that cleared necessary cap space while getting a good asset in return and Miller was the more attractive asset to get it done. I think you're trying to equate Miller's time in New York to where he is now. When you last saw Miller in New York he was 24 and playing for a team that was almost as bad as the 17-18 Canucks.
Agreed 100%. Infact i remember part way thru the 2019-20 season i went thru the Lightening forum to see what the fans there had to say about JT Miller lighting it up with the Canucks and at that time they felt the team should have traded someone else for cap reasons and that the team missed Miller. I mean in the end they won the cup so cant disagree with Tampa management decisions but he was clearly traded so they could maximize capspace and bring in a guy like Coleman on an even cheaper contract well keeping their dmen

Reactions: F A N

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Watching Miller last year pumping up the team in the dressing room during the playoffs, I thought the Canucks got a true leader who could be considered captain material.

Miller this year is the complete opposite. The hissy fits, the lack of hustle to come back, the forced blind passes. He's playing like he doesn't want to be here. Looks like he isn't even bothering to try anymore.
I think Miller is a very good hockey player, but the overall vibe he's giving off, could be toxic to a team in dire need for a leader.

Get your head out of your ass Miller.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's like Miller has come to the realization of the hopelessness of the Canucks situation, and is just going through the motions out there.

He's an American stuck in this all-Canadian Division, and I assume a long ways away from the place in America where his off-season home is.

He's playing like he can't wait to hit the airport for keeps and for this season to be over.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Watching Miller last year pumping up the team in the dressing room during the playoffs, I thought the Canucks got a true leader who could be considered captain material.

Miller this year is the complete opposite. The hissy fits, the lack of hustle to come back, the forced blind passes. He's playing like he doesn't want to be here. Looks like he isn't even bothering to try anymore.
I think Miller is a very good hockey player, but the overall vibe he's giving off, could be toxic to a team in dire need for a leader.

what a complete 180 from last year. could something personal be bothering miller?

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
what a complete 180 from last year. could something personal be bothering miller?

I have no clue, there is something definitely bothering him. Purely speculating here, he did voice his displeasure that the team lost a couple of it's core players. I think he knew the Canucks would be taking a lot of steps back this season after losing Markstrom, Tanev, Stecher and Leivo. I think Miller is in win mode now, and is butthurt that the Canucks are a bottom feeder team.
I don't particularly blame him, but there are ways to be part or the solution, and not the problem. His actions can't be good for for Pettersson and Hughes, the future leaders of this team.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
What are the chances one of the local media ask him straight out what’s up with his play and attitude this season? Needs to be called out. Should be coach at least in private.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
I saw the Holtby/Miller thing, and after the fact, both players publicly said it wasnt a big deal.(and in the GDT's during the game, I'm as hard on Miller as anybody..one of the worst offenders for giveaways)...However..I still think you're taking a leap, labelling him as a 'shitty teammate'.(thats your opinion)..There is no proof of that from his time as a Canuck...Its just 'gossip'.

I wasnt comparing Boeser situation to Millers...?, merely pointing out that when a quality player goes through some stretch of adversity in their game, he automatically becomes 'instantaneous trade bait?..Kneejerk, panicky thinking imo.

Gossip? No proof of him being a bad teammate?

Again you either aren't watching, don't care or don't understand.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Gossip? No proof of him being a bad teammate?

Again you either aren't watching, don't care or don't understand.
One thing I do understand, is there are certain people that like gossip, rumour mongering , and need drama...I thought he played well last night.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's amazing to me how people have done a complete 180 from last year on Miller. We were told that he's a Jekyll/Hyde player. Last year he was motivated the entire season. If the team continued to fall down the standings we would have seen this sooner. This year, they got off to a terrible start and Miller lost his drive. That's who he's been through in his previous two stops. Somehow 24 games into the season and Canucks fans have had enough?

Personally, I do see him give up on plays when he's frustrated or the game is out of reach. He has bad body language. All that stuff. I also don't care nor do I feel the need to speculate how his teammates must feel. I also watched him bust his ass off for the team last year and be the best forward on the team last season. That player still exists but has lost motivation and is terrible at hiding it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We had a real solid run for some years with no real star power in the line up besides hank. He masked a lot of issues and stole a lot of games. If McDonaugh doesn’t fracture Zuccarello’s skull with that shot the kings series in the finals would have been a lot different. Even if we didn’t win it would have been closer. I remember that line, they were on fire. Grabner scored a lot of goals. Kevin Hayes really came into his own that year as a complete player. Hayes and grabs didn’t the heavy lifting defensively, grabs was a monster on the forecheck with his speed. Like I said Miller has all the tools and talent, but for some reason he doesn’t bring it every night. And he goes thru long periods like that. He still shows up on the score sheet with a goal here and assist there, but his overall game will be bad. His nickname in NY was Bozo as stated above because he would just do think that would make you scratch your head. He’s older now, and I’m sure he’s grown as a person and a player I was just pointing out that what most fans are writing about in this thread has plagued JT his entire career

I don't necessarily disagree with that. It does look like Miller's is the type of personality that could really get amped up or go through lulls where his energy levels are low. Last year though he really was seemingly energetic every game. I remember him skating really hard both in the offensive zone and when he was backchecking. Obviously this year has been different and I hope he turns things around because we need him.

I think this team could use Miller's fiery style of leadership as our other guys including our captain is more even-keeled. He could be the Kesler to the Sedins.

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I'm a massive Miller fan so I was admittedly one of the last to start criticizing his recent lack of effort. He needs a wake-up call and maybe even needs to spend a game in the press box, but he's a big part of the Canucks core and claiming that we should trade him is ridiculous in my opinion.

Reactions: David71

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It may be considered undying optimism, but I think by the time this sorry campaign limps to its conclusion, you can basically just throw out the individual performances of the players. In the bigger picture, who sucked this season will matter little.

From the Canucks standpoint; it's a bad division, there's no fans; the franchise is losing a boatload of money; and even a large chuck of the fanbase seems disengaged. The owner seems 'meh' about the state of the on-ice product.

Management signaled what kind of season it was going to be when they let all their UFA's walk. And throwing player contracts overboard will continue unabated this off-season, with another round of veterans hitting the exits.

So it's on to the draft and the 2021-22 season for me. That's all that really matters now.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

You should always be wary of overly vocal leaders.

Its a common belief that "being vocal" =motivation and "good leaders" = motivation.

At a minimum people need to recognise that what one persom find motivating another find obnoxious etc.

I also think being "too vocal" can indicate "emotional imbalance".

Yeah it might work in narrow specific situations but it is debatable the long term performance of this "leadership style".

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's like Miller has come to the realization of the hopelessness of the Canucks situation, and is just going through the motions out there.

He's an American stuck in this all-Canadian Division, and I assume a long ways away from the place in America where his off-season home is.

He's playing like he can't wait to hit the airport for keeps and for this season to be over.
Cool story..

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
If traded, he would be missed even more than Tanev/Marky. We need more high end wingers, not less. JT had his best season so far here, refreshing with so many other acquisitions turning to shit. This year is already toast, get some middle picks if possible via Pearson and such. Start again with the lotto line next year.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Watching millers interview with the media today.. guy is gonna get traded 100% with the attitude he has
He can try to defend his attitude all he wants, but it is obvious it is detrimental to the team. Selfish is the word that comes to mind. Like a pouty kid who doesn't get his way. I would not want to work with someone like that. Also seems like the kind that would bite your head off if you tried saying something. Not conducive to having a cohesive team environment. When he is on he is an excellent player, but this is pretty bad. I can't remember seeing another hockey player with such bad body language and facial expressions. Is the good worth the bad?

Reactions: Mr4legs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad