Player Discussion What makes J.T Miller such a good player? (2021 Edition)

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
These clowns are being paid millions to do their job. Their effort level is atrocious, and is inexcusable. They are professionals and should really start to focus on being part of the solution, not part of the problem. I'm sorry but what happened to pride?
I don't see this happening with players of the past, have we become that spoiled?

nobody wants to admit it but we are part of the Buffalo Edmonton circle now

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Wow, came into this thread and found out that Miller is more captain material than Bo, and even though we have evidence that Miller is shocked by what management did losing a handful of contributors, it turns out Miller secretly has something against Petey.

I'll just go back to the other universe where electrons are negatively charged and protons are postitively charged.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Wow, came into this thread and found out that Miller is more captain material than Bo, and even though we have evidence that Miller is shocked by what management did losing a handful of contributors, it turns out Miller secretly has something against Petey.

I'll just go back to the other universe where electrons are negatively charged and protons are postitively charged.
In a world where nitpicking secretly pulls the strings of the marionettes of NHL front offices, anything is possible.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
You can tell a lot about a captain when things are going bad. And frankly, I haven't been all that impressed with Horvat lately.

J.T. Miller has more leadership in one pinky than Bo has in his entire body. That's what makes Miller's early season performance so dispiriting. I think he cares--probably too much....since it appears the ownership has run up a white flag on this season, and it's probably eating him up.
Lol OK.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I don't want JT Miller gone. Flush this season down the toilet. Get a good pick. Hopefully Jim and co. gone and we can retool the D.

JT Miller back with fans in the seats and fire in his belly again.

You don't get players with his combination of skills and grit very often. Don't sour on him. Sour on the regime and management for taking us 2 steps back this year.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I don't want JT Miller gone. Flush this season down the toilet. Get a good pick. Hopefully Jim and co. gone and we can retool the D.

You don't get players with his combination of skills and grit very often. Don't sour on him. Sour on the regime and management for taking us 2 steps back this year.

Agreed. Trading Miller would be a mistake. Must be frustrating for him as he came here with a great attitude, put his body, heart and soul into what was an oustanding MVP-like season and became a leader on our team...only for the team to take a huge step back and not even give him a letter when it was all said and done. He'll recover imo, but we might not last seasons Miller for a while.

Reactions: Grantham

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
You could always see the passion and intensity with Miller but being emotional is a double edge sword. He kind of reminds me of the guy you meet playing NHL hockey drop-in games online. If you miss a pass or don't give them the puck when they want it they start sabotaging the game by going offside intentionally, trying to score on your own goalie, etc. out of spite.

In a perfect world they'd clean house with the front office and most of the coaching staff and Miller would go back to being the player from last season. But I don't think this is a situation you can let fester for very long because it looks pretty toxic right now.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
we definitely have an ownership issue here and I can’t see us winning if they keep playing puppet master.
Puppet master / gas lighter extraordinaire.

They're playing games with people's lives and careers. Vrbata moved his entire damn family over to Vancouver and ownership tanked the team in his second season. That f***ing blows goats.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

upload_2021-2-9_14-5-36.png

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
You can tell a lot about a captain when things are going bad. And frankly, I haven't been all that impressed with Horvat lately.

J.T. Miller has more leadership in one pinky than Bo has in his entire body. That's what makes Miller's early season performance so dispiriting. I think he cares--probably too much....since it appears the ownership has run up a white flag on this season, and it's probably eating him up.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want my captain to be visibly sulking on the ice for games in a row. Horvat's a quiet leader who lets his game do the talking. Even when they've been down 5-1, he's one of the few guys who is still finishing checks and isn't just skating through the play.

Miller, as someone put above, is a double-edged sword. When things are going well, he's driving the bus and making things happen, but when they're not, he just seems to disconnect and give up.

Reactions: David71

Grape

Jul 22, 2016
These conspiracy theories that JT (or anyone else on the team, really) is upset that Benning didn't re-sign Tanev, Marky, Toffoli, etc. are so unbelievably odd to me. Like that somehow constitutes "giving up on the team"?

Yes, the team had good chemistry last year... but none of those guys truly move the needle, and this year's team is better on paper.

Toffoli has made us look bad to a hilarious degree, but that's just him getting in the team's head and feasting on us. He is a 20 goal scorer in this league, an opportunist with a good release. Would we like that on our team still, sure. But I mean, c'mon... we're talking way too much about a slightly above-average NHL forward.

Markstrom is good, but not so good that he would have any impact on what's happening with the team right now.
Tanev's career looked done 3+ years ago, and good on him for getting the contract.

It's literally Pettersson that JT is pissed at. He knows the wunderkind will always have more clout than him with the team, and they just aren't playing for one another anymore. I'm a huge fan on JT Miller, but I wish his frustration bubbled up in a healthier way. He is clearly pouting out there and thinks the team has "let him down" or something, when he himself is not playing nearly well enough. He needs to lift Petey and co. up, not glare at them. He's acting like a 5th grader does to a 4th grader.

The thing is... Petey will be fine. He's still incredibly young and slight, and he can't do the heavy-lifting on his own. But if Miller isn't doing it, it ain't happening.

Team defence right now is some of the worst I've ever seen as a fan, and Quinn Hughes can't keep getting bullied out there.
If I'm Jimbo and I want to keep my job, I'm getting word out around town that JT Miller++ is available in a package for the top 2 Dman with size Vancouver has been searching for over a decade to find.
So much assuming going on with this thread, but this one's the worst. I get if you're speculating, but you're stating JT being pissed at EP as if it were a fact and you play a role in their lives or something LOL.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
He's the only player on the top line with strength and plays a heavy game. I would stop watching this team if they moved on from him unless Podkolzin became a top line player. Horvat seems to only be a threat on the PP most games and honestly, hardly ever plays a heavy game, despite being capable. You hardly see him working the boards/playing a possession game anymore. Miller does the work that most do not want to do, his physical play usually keeps a play happening that would have otherwise ended. yes he makes boneheaded plays where passes out to nobody, giving up a 2 on 1 but that's something you take with all the good, as long as thats minimized, there will always be stretches where the number of times is higher.

An added bonus, he can actually stand up for Pettersson. Miller is no slouch in the fighting department. I am sorry but Jordie Benn allowing the other guy to throw 10 free punches at him is only boosting the other guy's ego, you mean he gets to crush a star player and then beat up another player? that guy is going to get a raise at the end of the year, it's like giving the player bonus points, that player (simmonds as a recent example) is going to play the rest of that game with such confidence. Hughes does not feel better getting crushed and watching his teammate getting pummeled due to having to stand up for him. Losing a fight doesn't do alot for your teams morale (in the game). Having people who can stand up for teammates is meaningless if they lose everytime. (Dale Weise). Watching Miller stand up to Tkachuk and handling him pretty well was great to see

I say it all the time, the difference in how fans treat players that aren't drafted and developed by them is quite amusing. It's obviously due to their lack of time investment into them but seeing that type of bias is so frustrating. It's like GMs trading for players because of their name or connection to said player, or because he has a square jaw or liked the interview. How do people not see when they have such bias towards certain players and have higher standards for some players and that it's clearly making their judgement poor. JT Miller is now killing penalties and doing a killer job at it (so far tonight)

Last edited:

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Seriously starting to dislike this player.

Giveaway machine
Zero effort
Low IQ plays

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
JT Miller was looking like the Patrick Sharp piece of this core, but his effort level and attitude has been terrible this year.

Canucks winning that series against the Wild was massive, the trade would not be tracking well if we had to give up an unprotected first this year.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Turnovers every other shift. Still our MVP outside the crease last year.

2nd biggest problem on the 1st line right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad