Player Discussion What makes J.T Miller such a good player? (2021 Edition)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Figured it's time for a new thread on J.T Miller who has come back with a Vengeance.

I would love to ask you guys, What exactly makes J.T Miller so damn good?

His skating, passing, shooting, and corner work seem to be all above average, but I am having a hard time looking around the league for a similar player in Comparison.

Been watching hockey for a long time, Can't quite find another player that he reminds me off.

What do you all think?

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
He's the heart and soul of this time. Simple as that.

Former 1st round pick who has obviously always had the talent. Seems like he's finally found that drive and the right fit in Vancouver and his work ethic is infectious. He should be wearing an A and I would hope that he never plays another game for a team that isn't the Canucks.

lennor

Oct 15, 2019
High IQ even though he doesn’t do anything elite, he has will for days. Just a pros pro. He figured it out after being in the dog house NYC. So happy for the guy

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
“Does everything well and nothing at an elite level” describes half the league, I’ve never found it useful. If you do everything as well as Miller does, you’re a star and can drive a line.

Reactions: Luckylarry

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
“Does everything well and nothing at an elite level” describes half the league, I’ve never found it useful. If you do everything as well as Miller does, you’re a star and can drive a line.

He does everything well, with his IQ and effort level both very near elite level if not there.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I wonder if JT’s experiences with AV (tough love so to speak) and being traded twice helped him accept what sacrifices he needed to make to become the player his natural gifts suggested he should? I really wish Jake would live with Miller, and learn those lessons.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
High IQ anticipating where the play is going, battles incredibly hard on the boards and wins the majority of his battles, distributes the puck well and has a high pass-completion ratio, and has an above-average shot. I think his drive, motor, and attitude are his best features for sure.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I wonder if JT’s experiences with AV (tough love so to speak) and being traded twice helped him accept what sacrifices he needed to make to become the player his natural gifts suggested he should? I really wish Jake would live with Miller, and learn those lessons.

Problem is you can't teach hockey IQ, and Jake has proven time and time again that he just can't think the game at even an average level.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
He's an oldschool hockey player who's good at just about every aspect of the game, and plays with immense confidence in his abilities.
His shootout goal last night was a perfect example - he knew exactly what he was going to do before he started.

He's at the point in his career where he's now transitioned from a young player to a mature leader, and he seems to really enjoy taking the younger players under his wing.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The law of averages. We had to have some positive come from a trade to justify all the crap we've dealt with as Canucks fans.

Seriously though? His energy and spirit. Every "behind the scenes" video I see of the guy, he's energizing his teammates. He's not the fastest, he's not the best puck handler or shooter, he's not the most physical, and, hot take alert, I don't think his hockey IQ is the best on the team either.

But he puts it all together as more then the sum of its part.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Miller also hasn't spent any time playing 3rd line C for the Canucks (a position he was frequently put in by his former teams). I think his offensive production has always been skewed a bit because he inevitably would spend time playing on the 3rd line as a C rather than spending the entire season on the top 2 lines as a winger. That and he's in his prime and knows what type of player he is now.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I feel like Miller does an excellent job of keeping the play in front of him. He knows what he wants to do before he does it and executes well enough that he can keep it automatic for a large part of his shifts. Due to this quality he's easy to play with and can allow a more creative player like Pettersson to do his thing without worrying about what at least one of his linemates is doing on the ice.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He’s just well rounded with no real weakness to his game. Good size/strength, hockey sense, playmaking/vision, shooting/finishing, speed and the dude can play all 3 forward positions.

He’s the exact type of winger we needed for Kesler back during the glory days.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Very good although not quite elite in every area of the game. It's his drive to win that separates him though. You can tell he took being traded personally, and his been on a mission since. He should absolutely have an A, and maybe a C.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Hes got FIVE points in only THREE games, on pace for 88pts in 53 games

Art f***ing Ross style a season :yo:

Reactions: HockeyWooot

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I would say his IQ and his motor are his biggest strengths. Guy knows where to be on the ice at all times, which is probably the biggest reason why Virtanen can only dream of becoming a J.T Miller one day despite being taken under his wing. Yet he has a 'never quit' attitude and works extremely hard to win puck battles.

Other secondary assets are obviously size which he takes advantage of along the boards and vision which lets him make plays. I see him as a playmaker primarily, which is why he fits well with any skilled player.

He's a good enough skater to get around the ice. But for some reason he struggles when he overhandles the puck so you don't want him doing that too much.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Speed hasn't been mentioned enough. Powerful on top of that. It means he can go get the puck, something Pettersson and Boeser still struggle with. Big piece of possession and being a play driver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad