What is going on with Rasmus Dahlin?

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
His straight line speed for sure need to improve. His lateral movement and edgework is great, but the north-south type of hockey in North America compared to the more east-west in Europe has definitely affected him in a negative way since his first steps and top speed is slow. It gets him caught again and again.

All the pounds he added during the break possibly made him even slower too? Gotta gain the weight in the right areas.

But you also gotta remember how young he is and how well he has produced for his age. Isn't he 2nd in scoring as a teenage defensemen in the NHL all time?

Reactions: bl02

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Buffalo is a tire fire.
As a hockey fan I hope Buffalo gets things together because they have too many players that *should* be good/great.

Being a bad team stem from being a bad organization.....team owner on down. I'm extremely glad that the Isles finally got it right. Before Malkin, Lou and company came in, every top end player the Isles drafted/signed either busted completely or underperformed, yes including Tavares. Tavares picked up a lot of bad habits that he probably wouldn't have with a better coaching staff/general manager/team owner. Plus his line-mates we're usually bums.

Okay, granted organization is bad. But Tavares worked endlessly to improve his game, and especially his skating. Dahlin still can't skate 3 years into his career. Who's fault is that?

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Buffalo is a tire fire.
As a hockey fan I hope Buffalo gets things together because they have too many players that *should* be good/great.

Being a bad team stem from being a bad organization.....team owner on down. I'm extremely glad that the Isles finally got it right. Before Malkin, Lou and company came in, every top end player the Isles drafted/signed either busted completely or underperformed, yes including Tavares. Tavares picked up a lot of bad habits that he probably wouldn't have with a better coaching staff/general manager/team owner. Plus his line-mates we're usually bums.
Rob Taub made an article on that lately with the two having similarities, but this is far worse than what the isles had. at least with the isles they did make the playoffs an odd year of so and had some semblance of being competent. The sabres on the other hand, are a mess that keeps ruining everything they touch. They're an org that keeps recycling coaches, GM's, players, and even scouting endlessly. It isn't a good recipe for success. If i'm the Pegulas, what do I even do? It's so bad over there that they might as well trade eichel because of this. Such a shame, yet it's getting to a point where I'd start threatening relocation if they can't get it together

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He's regressed under Kruger and a lot of his plays by risto (partner on D) is awful.

I'm not sure if it's regression as much as it's simply he's trying to play the way RK wants him to play. We've noted often on the Sabres board that RK tends to like low-event hockey in both ends of the rink.

Offensively, RK's "system" (if you can call it that) is old-fashioned dump and chase...then get the puck up high. Defensemen typically don't carry the puck or lead the rush -- the two things that Rasmus is best at, hands down. He's effectively been handcuffed by RK.

Defensively???? F*** if we know what RK wants to do. We THINK he wants to keep plays to the outside and allow nothing but outside shots. Problem is, that system breaks down a lot and I don't think RK (and then the defense) doesn't know what to do when the system breaks down.

Also a note on Risto -- COVID has obviously drastically affected him. He was an absolute beast before getting it. He's mentioned in interviews that the mental side is taking forever to come around, so it sounds like he's dealing with that "brain fog" that many deal with. It certainly shows in his play.

Reactions: FractionTwo

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Dahlin still can't skate 3 years into his career. Who's fault is that?

There's a large difference between speed and agility when it comes to skating. Dahlin isn't the fastest skater......but holy cow is he tremendous in small spaces and on his edges.

Dahlin will never have great top-end speed. But his agility and edgework is next level.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
He's regressed under Kruger and a lot of his plays by risto (partner on D) is awful. Dudes stagnated poorly and its such a shame. Buffalo is a mess and I'd argue they should be moved to Quebec if they keep missing the playoffs. Simply unacceptable as an NHL franchise to be this bad year in and year out under such ownership
Oh. Every game I have seen this season Dahlin has played with No one named Ristolainen.. And Ristolainen has been best defender easily.
But Yeah. Blame it to him then.

Reactions: Anantika

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Oh. Every game I have seen this season Dahlin has played with No one named Ristolainen.. And Ristolainen has been best defender easily.

Since Risto came back from COVID, he's been playing with Dahlin a LOT. This is directly because his usual partner, Jake McCabe, pretty literally has his knee blown to smithereens (ACL, MCL, meniscus).

Risto has shown signs of returning to form......but by and large has not been good since returning from COVID.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
There is something rotten in BUFF. Both in the front office and in the locker room. Anyone who thinks this doesn't effect players isn't being honest. He's also only 20. We are a long way away from writing this kid off.
The best players for the Sabres last night were Cozens and Bryson. That says a lot since they haven’t been around too long as so haven’t picked up the culture yet. I really hope that the cut ties with Kruger and pick up a coach who will change the work ethic and attitude of the team. Sabre fans deserve better.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
He looked rough last night. I feel like almost every goal the Islanders got, he was on the ice. Night and day from where he was last year, which tells me its coaching, as all Buffalo fans know.

Your feeling is correct, he was on the ice for every single Islander goal. He was also on the ice for 1 of the 2 Sabres goals to finish as a -4.

He's had a number of terrible games this season. If he didn't have his draft pedigree the Sabres probably would've healthy scratched him for a few games or sent him to the AHL (although with Kreuger as coach who knows).

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The best players for the Sabres last night were Cozens and Bryson. That says a lot since they haven’t been around too long as so haven’t picked up the culture yet. I really hope that the cut ties with Kruger and pick up a coach who will change the work ethic and attitude of the team. Sabre fans deserve better.

For sure. But I think it goes deeper than the coach. Some of the players they have etched as leaders do not posses leadership abilities. There are a lot of egos on that team that aren't checked in place because those who usually do the checking on most teams are the biggest offenders in BUFF. The only way to correct the issues in BUF are to make some big player changes at the top end. This type of rot isn't changed by making mid-level player changes. There needs to be, as you said, a culture shift type move. The only way to do that is by moving out some of the bigger personalities who run that room.

Reactions: awegrzyn

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
For sure. But I think it goes deeper than the coach. Some of the players they have etched as leaders do not posses leadership abilities. There are a lot of egos on that team that aren't checked in place because those who usually do the checking on most teams are the biggest offenders in BUFF. The only way to correct the issues in BUF are to make some big player changes at the top end. This type of rot isn't changed by making mid-level player changes. There needs to be, as you said, a culture shift type move. The only way to do that is by moving out some of the bigger personalities who run that room.
I hope for the Sabres sake that Eichel is still salvageable to be elite.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Sabres fan here. The Sabres are in free fall and have sunk to a new low, and they were already the worst franchise of the past decade.

They've looked worse the past 10-15 games than in any of their last place finish seasons. And it's even worse now because it's not for lack of talent like it was in '14, '15, and 18'.

Coaching is at a new low. The entire team looks completely lost, and when they do properly execute the system, the system is a joke so they don't score, with many players putting up career lows.

Risto and McCabe actually looked good before the covid break. After clearing covid protocol McCabe destroyed his knee and is out 6-8 months. Risto is obviously struggling with post covid symptoms and is still getting 20+ minutes of ice time when he clearly can barely breath or think straight.

Dahlin still flashes elite talent, but looks lost and timid. He also gets hung out to dry to by his team mates shift after shift where his only option is step up and be a hero and bail out his team mates, but he's not ready yet and you can tell it's destroying his confidence.

In summary the Sabres add up to be far less than the sum of their parts. I think most of these players would look much better playing for any other team(see Ryan O'Reilly, Robin Lehner).

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Okay, granted organization is bad. But Tavares worked endlessly to improve his game, and especially his skating. Dahlin still can't skate 3 years into his career. Who's fault is that?

Dahlin is a much better skater than Tavares has ever been.

Reactions: Zman5778

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I hope for the Sabres sake that Eichel is still salvageable to be elite.

Eichel already is an elite level player. His issues are between the ears. I also don't think he's ever wanted to be there. We all have our opinions on him but I don't believe he's a very good leader and it's only made worse by the fact I also believe he doesn't and has never wanted to play in BUFF. People will point to his contract but he signed huge deal that takes him to UFA status. He was looking to get paid while securing his future and freedom. He got everything he wanted.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Buffalo disease. Once he gets traded, he will win the Norris

But seriously something strange is going on with that team.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Dahlin's Trajectory:

First season: Good for an NHL defenseman; excellent for an 18 year old rookie defenseman.

Second season: Slightly above average

Third season: Poor, a liability

So, what's going on? According to many posters much of the poor performance of Sabres stars can be attributed to coaching ineptitude. Even if that is indeed the case, it doesn't full explain it. Some have cited weight gain and subsequent loss of speed. That seems plausible, but there has to be more to it.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Eichel already is an elite level player. His issues are between the ears. I also don't think he's ever wanted to be there. We all have our opinions on him but I don't believe he's a very good leader and it's only made worse by the fact I also believe he doesn't and has never wanted to play in BUFF. People will point to his contract but he signed huge deal that takes him to UFA status. He was looking to get paid while securing his future and freedom. He got everything he wanted.
I think that he has two goals this year. He could go from elite to bad very quickly. I hope that’s not the case, but Buffalo has to make changes sooner rather than later.

islandersbob

Jan 1, 2006
saved me

Not saying Tavares didn't work hard and improve with the Isles, with what looked like minimal help from the Isles, but A LOT of stuff that could have easily been cleaned up with coaching festered. He was notorious for 2 minute shifts, especially in OT, stupid drop passes entering the zone going the other way, lazy, dumb, selfish retaliatory penalties. The same terrible shoot out move, EVERY FREAKING TIME, that NEVER worked. Power plays went to die on his stick, the SAME stuff that NEVER worked. The pouting when the team got other good players, or management (Barzal and Lou in particular). He seemed to be content with losing or going to Toronto, partially on him, but mostly on the organization culture, which was a culture of being an also ran. Being in a bad environment is toxic and it stunts players development and performance. Coaches are supposed to do their job, which is to put the players in the best position to succeed and to win as a TEAM. Buffalo is TOXIC right now and has been for 10+ years, same with Edmonton, Ottawa and a few other organizations. So many great hockey players in such BUM settings. And these crappy organization just keep getting rewarded with high draft picks. Who was the last high draft pick to completely change the culture of a losing team without ownership change? Ovechkin with the Caps is the only one that comes to mind quickly for me.

On Dahlin, yeah, he looks SLOW. Anders Lee looked fast with him on the ice. He needs to work on that, but if the team gives him no guidance OR bad advice or bad coaching.....it's going to hinder his development. Being far from home and in a probably toxic environment, not going to be easy. If his work ethic isn't insane like Tavares, he's not going to come remotely close to maximizing his talents, which are potentially world class. Dahlin definitely needs leadership and mentoring, which it doesn't appear Buffalo is going to give him.

Looked small too. Maybe it was camera angles? Buffalo has been and still is TOXIC. Jeff Skinner on the 4th line playing with Riley freaking Sheahan. Didn't he once go 0-81, then 2 goals in Gm#82? All really good/great players should demand out of toxic situations, might make the league take notice and force these terrible organizations to try to compete.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
He'll figure it out... I've heard "BUST" for Hedman as well on this board many moon ago
Basically every top 10 pick is a bust if they aren't world beaters before the ELC is up. Either you're a superstar by age 20 or you were the wrong pick and suck.

At least according to the most vocal part of HF.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Basically every top 10 pick is a bust if they aren't world beaters before the ELC is up. Either you're a superstar by age 20 or you were the wrong pick and suck.

At least according to the most vocal part of HF.

I don't think anybody is saying he's a bust, but a guy like Lafreniere gets heat for a bad start and rightfully so, Dahlin has sucked for how many seasons now (again, don't care about points) and always gets to duck behind the Sabres being god awful instead of taking any criticism himself.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I don't think anybody is saying he's a bust, but a guy like Lafreniere gets heat for a bad start and rightfully so, Dahlin has sucked for how many seasons now (again, don't care about points) and always gets to duck behind the Sabres being god awful instead of taking any criticism himself.
He's still in his ELC right? So he had a really good rookie season as an 18 year old and has struggled for a season and a bit?

You make it sound like he's been sucking hard for years here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad