What is going on with Rasmus Dahlin?

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku

When interviewed recently in a Finnish podcast it was pretty heavily indicated that Leino was depressed at the time he was playing in Buffalo. Kimmo Timonen, the co-host of the podcast said he felt a great deal of concern for Leino at the time. And most of the blame there was deflected towards Buffalo as an organisation. I mean yeah, the guy has an artist's soul but still, it was pretty harsh how the time in Buffalo affected him.

Reactions: SurferBroChad

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
He plays for the Buffalo Sabres.
This is a huge part of it. If I where his agent I'd be extremely clear on not giving them any UFA years on his contract.

When have ever a young hyped d came into the league and be successful as a teenager, early 20s on the worst team in the league. It's not a healthy situation.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
This is a huge part of it. If I where his agent I'd be extremely clear on not giving them any UFA years on his contract.

When have ever a young hyped d came into the league and be successful as a teenager, early 20s on the worst team in the league. It's not a healthy situation.

Thomas Chabot is a recent one.

Reactions: Dominance

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Damn, that’s a name I haven’t heard in awhile. I remember the hype around him too.

Ville Leino sells ... trousers(!) today, well, anyway he did 2017! Called Billebeino:nod::thumbu:. Inspired by his third and last season back in Buffalo, belive it or not Buffalo.
I felt trapped and down there he says about the name of the cloth collection named - JAIL 2013!:DD:D SHL-stjärnan släpper ny klädkollektion

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
He’s been one of the worst players on the team this year, concerning is an understatement. Seems Sabre-itis is creeping into his game more and more, he’s really lacking the swagger and confidence he had his rookie year.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Standings would suggest they are on their way from last in 2016 to near the top of the league. But I was waiting for someone to make the comment you did. You win a big pile of nothing!
if not for the NHL making absurd changes to the division structures, it would be a lot of the same..but sure, whatever works for you

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
he's a 20 year old defenseman playing on arguably the worst team in the league

The lack of points could be argued stems from bad luck, which the whole team suffers from. You cannot argue that his awful defensive game is anything other than him just being terrible at the moment though. Look at the last 30 goals Buffalo gave up 5v5. I'd say Dahlin does something wrong defensively in half of them. Whether it's positioning, losing the puck or just lack of effort..

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
Sometimes it's hard to predict the trajectory of a player. Definitely not #1 pick material in hindsight, but he will be a decent top 4 defense man for a long time for the Sabres.

In hindsight, people didn't think Hedman was #1 material... in 2011.

Perhaps some have forgotten, but it's rather silly to write-off extremely talented young defensemen before they've even approached their mid-twenties. Even then, some find their games later still.

I have no concerns with Dahlin. He's got the skill and the IQ... only a matter of time before we see what he can do.

What's the chance of this just being a case of him getting much tougher minutes? That first year he was more sheltered than people staying in a fancy hotel during a storm.

I mean, this guy was like Nick Nolte in Hotel Rwanda.

Is this thing on?

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
and now the leafs are the prototype for success :laugh:
I mean the Leafs problem is going from a good regular season team to playoff success, they've already completed the part Buffalo is stuck on. Talking about what helped the Leafs turn it around makes sense since they were a joke and managed to dig out of it, something Buffalo is struggling with.

You can't really blame Dahlin here, this is the worst run franchise in the NHL and it isn't close. The Sabers beat the love of the game out of O'Rielly, imagine what it's doing to a 20 year old defenseman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad