What is going on with Rasmus Dahlin?

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I think all the talks about him being generational can be buried now. It's not even about him being bad or looking a bit off, he's literally a burden to his team. He played 10 mins against Capitals, had -2 and was benched. I think it's safe to say that once four-headed monster is now three-headed (3 other young d-men who must not be named).

And sure, feed Eichel on the PP and get 30-40 points but that doesn't change the fact that he is just not very good d-man at the moment. Talent and skill is there, but if he was nearly as good as advertised, he'd shine in any team. It's his 3rd season already so there are no excuses, so far people have been referring to his high ceiling when he hasn't been on the same level with Makar etc. but c'mon.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I read he put on a lot of muscle during the off season. I haven't seen any of the games but perhaps he needs a little bit of time to get adjusted to playing with a heavier body.

Reactions: sabresEH

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
as a caps fan but also huuuuge fan of dahlin, i have to say he was terrible. at times he looked like a total amateur. i hope he can handle it and bounce back

Reactions: haveandare

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
He's had one good game. The strength he gained doesn't help since he's always out of position and doesn't play the body.
Him failing to box out twice cost Sabres the game last night.

He was overrated to begin with but his first NHL season made me jump on the hype train as well. Under Krueger he's regressed.

His lack of speed means he needs to improve his positioning and actually use his body.

I think he'll turn it around eventually but he won't be generational. In time he'll catch up to Hieskanen, Makar etc but he won't be a driving offensive force since he lacks the tools for it.

Thankfully Jokiharju, McCabe and Ristolainen all look good so far this season. If Sabres can find a top 4 lhd Dahlin will be more of a nice to have than a necessity.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I think all the talks about him being generational can be buried now. It's not even about him being bad or looking a bit off, he's literally a burden to his team. He played 10 mins against Capitals, had -2 and was benched. I think it's safe to say that once four-headed monster is now three-headed (3 other young d-men who must not be named).

And sure, feed Eichel on the PP and get 30-40 points but that doesn't change the fact that he is just not very good d-man at the moment. Talent and skill is there, but if he was nearly as good as advertised, he'd shine in any team. It's his 3rd season already so there are no excuses, so far people have been referring to his high ceiling when he hasn't been on the same level with Makar etc. but c'mon.
https://mobile.twitter.com/BuffaloV...^1352799716434698242|twgr^|twcon^s2_&ref_url=

Guy had 40 pts in 59 games and were calling him a 30-40 pt player? Come on.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Guy had 40 pts in 59 games and were calling him a 30-40 pt player? Come on.
It's not even about the points, unless your production is like prime EK level. He's a d-man, if your point production and forward play doesn't make up for your defensive mistakes and sloppy plays, it's brutal. Just look at the EK now.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Yes, this thread was just about one game. Otherwise during these past 3 seasons Dahlin has looked like a Lidström.
Seem like alot of young players have been struggelin lately. Maybe cause they have nothing else to do but read the Hf-boards whiney factory and its criticism about themselves since they are locked up and bubbled from a normal life? :huh:

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
I don’t know if this is unpopular opinion or not, but all the talks about being generational should not happen until either of these is true

- player has played at least 5 seasons
- is atleast 25 years of age
- has played at least 350 games

before that it’s just speculation, which is fine to do but isn’t really ”facts”.

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
I read he put on a lot of muscle during the off season. I haven't seen any of the games but perhaps he needs a little bit of time to get adjusted to playing with a heavier body.
I doubt it’s all muscle, though. You can see it in his face. He needs to work that excess weight off. Is it even possible to gain 6 kg muscle mass in 10 months?

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Another I told you so. Dude keeps getting put ahead of Makar, Hughes, and Heiskanen. And the reason being pure skill and his age being so much younger. Dude is never going to flourish with a crap team around him. Is the potential there? Sure, but just like Eichel, we may never see the best side of them until they leave Buffalo.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Looks to me like his confidence is shot. This sadly isn't unusual when someone drafted into a bad situation. IRC there was an interview with him somewhere where he talked about how he wasn't used to losing this much and i think this effected him and his development quite a bit.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He's just not that good. Quite overrated from the get go. He matured and peaked early, indeed, but you could tell his game didn't have much room for improvement. He's held back by factors such as poor shot and skating.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I doubt it’s all muscle, though. You can see it in his face. He needs to work that excess weight off. Is it even possible to gain 6 kg muscle mass in 10 months?
No, unless you use steroids. This is another thing right, people assume that all weight gained is muscle. If it's gained so fast, it's very likely around half of that is fat, if not more. Assuming no steroids of course, with them you can gain that much pure muscle without having to even go to gym.

Of course, some exceptions, obviously some teenagers just naturally gain a lot of muscle just via natural development, but Dahlin to me wasn't one of those scrawny guys with a lot of development room

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Still heavily sheltered despite being his third season, while guys like McAvoy, Hughes, Heiskanen, Makar, have excelled with big minutes and tough competition (some from their first game in the NHL). Is it coaching in Buffalo, or is it Dahlin just not being capable of it?

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013

No. Maybe If he was 17-18 and SUPER skinny guy. But not really possible.

Also he is still learning and could turn out to Be what was projected. But for now he isn't on same level as Heiskanen, Hughes and Makar.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
He's young, he'll improve and be a very good player.

However, couple years back I thought it to be complete BS when people were putting him nautical miles above Makar, Heiskanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->