What is going on with Rasmus Dahlin?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don’t know if this is unpopular opinion or not, but all the talks about being generational should not happen until either of these is true

- player has played at least 5 seasons
- is atleast 25 years of age
- has played at least 350 games

before that it’s just speculation, which is fine to do but isn’t really ”facts”.

So mcdavid was not generational until he played this season?

Reactions: Sheppy and ClydeLee

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yeah, especially the comparison to Svechnikov now looks really bad. Carolina says thanks.
It doesn't really no... You do know D take way longer to develop right? Dahlin clearly had the better rookie year, Svechnikov had a slightly better sophmore season and we're like 8 games into year three in a season where Dahlin hadnt played hockey in like 9months...

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It doesn't really no... You do know D take way longer to develop right? Dahlin clearly had the better rookie year, Svechnikov had a slightly better sophmore season and we're like 8 games into year three in a season where Dahlin hadnt played hockey in like 9months...
I would take Svechnikov over Dahlin. Svechnikov just proves he is a star. Better than a number of 1OA picks. I am not saying Dahlin won't be great, but he was the 1OA. That puts pressure on him to perform above the usual curve.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I would take Svechnikov over Dahlin. Svechnikov just proves he is a star. Better than a number of 1OA picks. I am not saying Dahlin won't be great, but he was the 1OA. That puts pressure on him to perform above the usual curve.
Of course you would pick the Russian, we all already knew that. The Dahlin pick does not "look really bad now".

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

He IS performing well above the usual curve. The only defenseman in NHL history to ever have a more productive 18yo season was Phil Housley, who didn't even play D much of his rookie season. (I mean, figuratively speaking, Housley never played D, but literally he played F a lot in his 1st season. Also, it was the high-flying 80s.) Dahlin then followed that up with an even better 19yo season. If Dahlin had gone to a Canadian team or larger U.S. market, the hype for him would be insane. He has special talent.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Historically great rookie season for an 18 year old dman which he follows up with a 40 points in 59g (55 point pace) in his 19 year old sophomore season. Now people are questioning his abilities because he’s struggled during his first 9 games lol?

Pretty sure the kid will turn out special

Last edited:

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
Hes looked better the past few games and has produced some offence. He probably read this thread or heard me complaining because I drafted him in my fantasy hockey league.

I remember reading about what a bust Hedman was after his first few years in the league. This thread will be a lot like those ones

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Hedman started slow as a prospect too. Don't know how Dahlin has been. He was highly regarded coming out though.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Historically great rookie season for an 18 year old dman which he follows up with a 40 points in 59g (55 point pace) in his 19 year old sophomore season. Now people are questioning his abilities because he’s struggled during his first 9 games lol?

Pretty sure the kid will turn out special

Other than points his results suck. Using a sample even beyond 9 games shows he's not a play driver. Wonder when people will stop making excuses for Dahlin and admit he's not as good as everyone thought he would be.

Again, I don't care how many points he scores. He can't defend at all.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I kind of wonder if the Eichel/Dahlin situation is more like the Stamkos/Hedman situation before they started putting it together.

The downside is they had at least a deep run - fluky or not - and you could see progress throughout the seasons toward being a better team, and you don't really see that with the Sabres. They're just missing on too many prospects (and I don't include Dahlin as a miss). But having Reinhart and Mittlestadt being such disappointments relative to draft position, Risto never really taking the next step, and other than Olofsson no late round successes...

I mean you need to hit big at least once, and they haven't.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
He looked rough last night. I feel like almost every goal the Islanders got, he was on the ice. Night and day from where he was last year, which tells me its coaching, as all Buffalo fans know.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
He's regressed under Kruger and a lot of his plays by risto (partner on D) is awful. Dudes stagnated poorly and its such a shame. Buffalo is a mess and I'd argue they should be moved to Quebec if they keep missing the playoffs. Simply unacceptable as an NHL franchise to be this bad year in and year out under such ownership

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
He's regressed under Kruger and a lot of his plays by risto (partner on D) is awful. Dudes stagnated poorly and its such a shame. Buffalo is a mess and I'd argue they should be moved to Quebec if they keep missing the playoffs. Simply unacceptable as an NHL franchise to be this bad year in and year out under such ownership

He can't skate, he's so slow. How is that Kruger's fault? Doesn't have the IQ to make up for his poor speed either.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Never said his usage was smart, but how about he work on his skating? Is it even nhl level at this point?
its gotten worse also. I don't know what the sabres do with conditioning, but its on par with horrible teams. again, the league should step into the garbage thats happening in buffalo, because this is simply horrible

islandersbob

Jan 1, 2006
saved me
Other than points his results suck. Using a sample even beyond 9 games shows he's not a play driver. Wonder when people will stop making excuses for Dahlin and admit he's not as good as everyone thought he would be.

Again, I don't care how many points he scores. He can't defend at all.
Buffalo is a tire fire.
As a hockey fan I hope Buffalo gets things together because they have too many players that *should* be good/great.

Being a bad team stem from being a bad organization.....team owner on down. I'm extremely glad that the Isles finally got it right. Before Malkin, Lou and company came in, every top end player the Isles drafted/signed either busted completely or underperformed, yes including Tavares. Tavares picked up a lot of bad habits that he probably wouldn't have with a better coaching staff/general manager/team owner. Plus his line-mates we're usually bums.

Reactions: FractionTwo

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
This young man has 162 games under his belt and played most of them as a teenager, on an underachieving and underwhelming team. Nothing about that situation to stifle growth:sarcasm:.

He couldn't lift all the boats by himself although with all the talk pre and post draft many put those expectations on him and maybe the hype is the real problem.

There's still a very long way to go in his maturation and development process. He is still filling out and does not yet have his so called "man strength," but he will soon, and when he does look out

He may never develop into being a Lidstrom or Salming, but he could end up in the 3rd spot on the Swedish Dman GOAT list.

Patience

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
There is something rotten in BUFF. Both in the front office and in the locker room. Anyone who thinks this doesn't effect players isn't being honest. He's also only 20. We are a long way away from writing this kid off.

Reactions: therealkoho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad