What if Karlsson signs an extension and stays in Ottawa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
1. To win games and make the playoffs. I think it is wild that you would put operations staff in there as the first thing.

2. No, any businessperson will readily admit that failure is a huge part of success. It is what makes them ultimately successful by learning from past failures. I don't know what EM is learning, however I do find it is a work in progress to see what is being done to improve the situation. On July 12, I am not ready to declare anything

If Karlsson stays it will be a bad business decision. He will overpay, and the overpayment will not be reflected in increased revenues. I would love for him to stay, more for my kids same than mine, but don't see it happening. But you never know.

Do you not see a correlation between competent hockey operations and product quality? Look at the hockey deals we make, we get taken to the cleaners in contact negotions, trades, and went from "win now" to "5 year rebuild" literally overnight. The fan experience around here is dog shit.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
I'd rather money be spent on the roster rather than the "fan experience".

I want to watch hockey, the rest is just nonsense.

Fan experience is a big thing in the NBA, it brings fans to the stadium who just want to have fun and be entertained. Parents with young kids for example is a huge market. If you don't consider how to bring in new market segments yournot going to do well. The whole intent of marketing isn't to spend money without return on investment, it's to attract more revenue to put into the team.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Fan experience is a big thing in the NBA, it brings fans to the stadium who just want to have fun and be entertained. Parents with young kids for example is a huge market. If you don't consider how to bring in new market segments yournot going to do well. The whole intent of marketing isn't to spend money without return on investment, it's to attract more revenue to put into the team.

In this market especially. We need to convert those kids in Ottawa. Frankly, it's depressing seeing so many kids out my way wearing Habs/Leafs/Penguins gear.

Reactions: Mr Hat

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Only a cup will change that.

Honestly I'm not so sure anymore.

Montreal has always had the inside track on francophones from a language and culture perspective and no matter how many bilingual logos and announcements the Sens make it will always be an uphill battle.

And then just because everything sucks, Toronto has us pinned down in the anglo media market. We practically don't exist outside of the Ottawa area and even inside that area it's a battle.

It's especially frustrating because the hockey world immediately glommed onto guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, etc not only as the face of their respective teams but as players who would draw fans otherwise unconnected to their representative cities. For all the respect Karlsson gets, I feel that this hasn't remotely happened despite Karlsson being on par with those players in talent and marketability.

Probably just the way it's gonna be.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Honestly I'm not so sure anymore.

Montreal has always had the inside track on francophones from a language and culture perspective and no matter how many bilingual logos and announcements the Sens make it will always be an uphill battle.

And then just because everything sucks, Toronto has us pinned down in the anglo media market. We practically don't exist outside of the Ottawa area and even inside that area it's a battle.

It's especially frustrating because the hockey world immediately glommed onto guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, etc not only as the face of their respective teams but as players who would draw fans otherwise unconnected to their representative cities. For all the respect Karlsson gets, I feel that this hasn't remotely happened despite Karlsson being on par with those players in talent and marketability.

Probably just the way it's gonna be.
A cup will usher in a hoard of Sens fans around North America because of Karlsson. Every year is somebody's first watching sports and if you win it you get those fans for life. Kids always like the best players in the league but because Ottawa is basically off the radar nationally there isn't that loyalty built up Now that Toronto is well on their way to win a cup eventually. The Sens missed a prime opportunity to gain fans. When the Leafs win, it will be a 1 year party as opposed to an off season for the simple fact they are owned to the 2 biggest media outlets in the Country and are an original six team with fans across North America. This is why I always wanted Ottawa to win a cup. Being the first team in 25 plus years to bring a cup back to Canada is the marketing dream of any small market team.

Last edited:

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
A cup will usher in a hoard of Sens fans around North America because of Karlsson. Every year is somebody's first watching sports and if you win it you get those fans for life.

Yep...this is exactly how I became a Blue Jays fan for life. Started watching/playing baseball as a kid for the first time in 1992.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Honestly it would be amazing if they just rebranded. This has to be the worst team name in professional sports.
Nobody likes Senators. The Senate is a flaming pile of crap that just wastes taxpayers’ money. It’s mind boggling how much they get away with and how archaic the rules are that allow them to justify wanton greed and misuse of public funds.
So why not name the NHL team after them right? What a terrible idea. Not only bad because of the state of the actual Senate but that has got to be the least exciting name ever.
Might as well name them the Ottawa Bureaucrats or how about the Ottawa Desk Sitters?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm posting this photo not with a "I wish we were like them" attitude, because we will never be like the Leafs or have the finances and resources like they do, but it's a pretty hilarious and shocking comparison:

HKifB1B.png

They also didn't include their administrator (more likely administrative team) on their Hockey Ops list.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Honestly it would be amazing if they just rebranded. This has to be the worst team name in professional sports.
Nobody likes Senators. The Senate is a flaming pile of crap that just wastes taxpayers’ money. It’s mind boggling how much they get away with and how archaic the rules are that allow them to justify wanton greed and misuse of public funds.
So why not name the NHL team after them right? What a terrible idea. Not only bad because of the state of the actual Senate but that has got to be the least exciting name ever.
Might as well name them the Ottawa Bureaucrats or how about the Ottawa Desk Sitters?

I dunno man, changing the name of our team feels like we would be erasing our history

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
If Karlsson is re-signed along with Stone and Duchene, this team will make the playoffs (or at least flirt with it as I think the goaltending will be a better with the same personnel). A 110% EK65 is that damn good.

VBook it!

Reactions: BigRig4

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Of all of the many things wrong with this franchise right now, I dont think our team name is one of them...

I mean what kind of mental pictures do you conjure up when you think about the Capitals, the Wild, or the Canucks? Do you picture a bunch of white, upper-middle class New York suburbanites when someone talks about the Islanders?

I think you're taking the team name a little bit too literal, imo.

Reactions: Anaxagoras

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Well, they’re not named after the Senate. That has nothing to do with the name.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Eek.. So we have six in hockey ops, including an office administrator, a team services director, and a glorified trainer who is suspended on sexual misconduct allegations.

That's really bad guys, lol.

Harassment allegations ...... no mention of "sexual" in any of the charges against him.

Nevertheless, from what we've heard from the Driver's side of the story, it does sound much like what you're inferring.

Ottawa Senators assistant GM Randy Lee arrested for harassment in Buffalo

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
If Karlsson is re-signed along with Stone and Duchene, this team will make the playoffs (or at least flirt with it as I think the goaltending will be a better with the same personnel). A 110% EK65 is that damn good.

VBook it!

I wouldn't say playoffs but if we somehow retain everyone I think we will at least be in the thick of things til the end of the season. I don't think we'll be bottom 5, but that may just be the fanboy optimism in me.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Well, they’re not named after the Senate. That has nothing to do with the name.
They are literally named the “Senators” after the original NHL team which was a nickname reference to the Senate in Ottawa. They were also once called the Capitals but that had nothing to do with Ottawa being the capital of Canada I guess.

Anyway it was a harmless silly post but people are so bent out of shape lately that they grasp at attacking anything. Sheesh.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
They are literally named the “Senators” after the original NHL team which was a nickname reference to the Senate in Ottawa. They were also once called the Capitals but that had nothing to do with Ottawa being the capital of Canada I guess.

Anyway it was a harmless silly post but people are so bent out of shape lately that they grasp at attacking anything. Sheesh.

I honestly wasn’t attacking.
It was merely a statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad