What if Karlsson signs an extension and stays in Ottawa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Honestly Daffy, that is pretty much the opposite of what most people were saying at the time. The message was that we was going to be traded, and traded imminently. Fait accompli. People laughed at his claims for being outlandish. It's funny to me that the other "insiders" who were proven to be completely wrong are still given credit while the one guy who has yet to be disproven (could happen, just hasn't yet) is mocked and derided. Heck, DJB said a trade was going down. Not maybe going down, definitely happening and named names of players involved. Obviously that was false info and the source of DJB's info was misinformed.

I just ment that it seemed to be common knowledge that EK wanted to stay and the owner was the issue.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Honestly Daffy, that is pretty much the opposite of what most people were saying at the time. The message was that we was going to be traded, and traded imminently. Fait accompli. People laughed at his claims for being outlandish. It's funny to me that the other "insiders" who were proven to be completely wrong are still given credit while the one guy who has yet to be disproven (could happen, just hasn't yet) is mocked and derided. Heck, DJB said a trade was going down. Not maybe going down, definitely happening and named names of players involved. Obviously that was false info and the source of DJB's info was misinformed.

No, no , no, Daffy is right lol.

The hysteria and the anxiety for this poor group of fans has been absurd since February, It is now August, and he isn't going to be moved at this point in time because 1) his wife doesn't want to, 2) he likes the offer ... and no one has said that have they? 3)he loves the City.

He and Melnyk have to makeup. When that happens, this franchise will recover, but it starts with those two.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Then why was everybody saying the opposite? mysens might be a troll having fun with us, I don't know and I don't care, but it's purely revisionist history to say anyone and everyone was saying what we was saying. His info was 100% contrary to what was being said by media and insiders alike. At the time when media and insiders were saying EK WAS traded (not might be traded, was traded) he/she came he and said the opposite. At the very least, I respect that he had the guts to do it.

There is another side to this that I'm sure @mysens will tell us, and it ain't about Karlsson's beef, but Melnyk and Dorion, stay tuned...

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

The hysteria and the anxiety for this poor group of fans has been absurd since February, It is now August, and he isn't going to be moved at this point in time because 1) his wife doesn't want to, 2) he likes the offer ... and no one has said that have they? 3)he loves the City.

He and Melnyk have to makeup. When that happens, this franchise will recover, but it starts with those two.
Melnyk has to sell, then the franchise will thrive.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

Can you confirm what the offer actually was?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
All we know is that the opening offer from PD was 10 million over 8 years.

Then about two days later, PD gave EK65 permission to talk to other teams, that indicated they were interested in trading for him, so that EK could hear their offers (on an extension) if they were able to work out a trade with Ottawa .... if EK65 was receptive to their offer, and asked to be traded to that particular team.

I suspect that EK65 would tell PD what was offered to him, and would give PD a chance to match, or come as close as he could, to an offer that EK65 was interested in ....... and if both side were willing, try to work out something they could both live with ........... if not, then EK65 would then formally ask to be trade ... I guess.

The silence on this issue since about the third day of July, could mean that Ottawa and EK65 are exploring common ground, as he, and his wife, would rather remain in Ottawa......... that's what I'm thinking, wishfully, and the comments posted by mysens is giving some of us a lot of hope.

Reactions: Silencio

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Can you confirm what the offer actually was?

I cannot other than what was reported, which is in the $10.5 to 11.5 M range. Karlsson camp was given the green light to see if he could find better, and nothing has materialized that is better, combined with other advantages of staying in Ottawa, wife's family, being a captain, etc... there was no animosity about that, just Ottawa being transparent, honest and confident with their franchise player.

But it isn't about money. It has to do with whether he and Melnyk can bury the hatchet, big ones from both sides.

Reactions: Silencio

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I cannot other than what was reported, which is in the $10.5 to 11.5 M range. Karlsson camp was given the green light to see if he could find better, and nothing has materialized that is better, combined with other advantages of staying in Ottawa, wife's family, being a captain, etc... there was no animosity about that, just Ottawa being transparent, honest and confident with their franchise player.

But it isn't about money. It has to do with whether he and Melnyk can bury the hatchet, big ones from both sides.

Unfortunately Melnyk doesn't seem like a "burying the hatchet" kind of guy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Do you know if the whole burying the hatchet is over contract anymousity, or more about other factors like concerns over team spending ability, new arena proceeding, player movement, etc?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Do you know if the whole burying the hatchet is over contract anymousity, or more about other factors like concerns over team spending ability, new arena proceeding, player movement, etc?

Other factors. These players don't typically care about team spending ability so long as it is on them. That is from my experience, not specifically to Karlsson.

Reactions: Gesus

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So nothing again today.....Are we going to head into this season with a lame duck Captain,or are we going to get shit moving???We had done sweet f*** all to improve our team and its the end of July

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Unfortunately Melnyk doesn't seem like a "burying the hatchet" kind of guy

Nope. Ego too large. He strikes me as the type of person who always has to be right, and won't give an inch.

I almost hope EK has the mindset of "This is my team and my city, and I'm not leaving. You should leave, because no one wants you here."

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Definetly not by the media though. We have been put through the ringer with all the nonsense from the TDL. I have been saying all the above with many here bashing me. When asked my way of source, I attempted to explain the where and when and was berated because of my socioeconomic status. So, heard it here folks. This is the truth behind the scenes!

I haven't followed your posts and the debates much but don't say that you have money or you will attract even more hate! It's good to be poor!

Based on silencio summary, all of this make sense and corresponds to what I was thinking as well. Once again, fueled by the medias, internet went full drama on this.

I have a question. If EK extends long-term, could it mean that he foresees a team sale in the not too distant future?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
oh my god the New RO :laugh:

Channel 6 baby.
Marie Anne Zadra and Brian who looked like Arn Anderson?

hqdefault.jpg

Edit: Brian Parker

Last edited:
Reactions: coladin

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I already posted on another thread, but EM and company are pissed about the whole Hoffman scandal and that EK and company went out and aired the dirty laundry to the world. This was a big mistake on EK part. Our beloved superstar went out with his wife and put it out there. The world found out and most importantly, the whole NHL found out. The profitable asset in Mike Hoffman just went from a first round pick(Big Money) to a bunch of crap. The teams asset got crushed by EK. Either way, the employee just sabotaged the Company. EM is pissed off about this, how could he not. This has fractured the relationship much more than EK shooting off his mouth 6 months ago to the media about his next contract. People need to remember, within all this scandal with the wives of the superstars, this has hurt the franchise in the future for years because of the asset being diminished. There are loads of scandals in hockey teams, many many stories of players wives/girlfriends having affairs with team mates and then the team handling it within with trades that do not make sense. This happens all the time. This should have been handled differently by EK and camp. And BTW, I love EK .

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I already posted on another thread, but EM and company are pissed about the whole Hoffman scandal and that EK and company went out and aired the dirty laundry to the world. This was a big mistake on EK part. Our beloved superstar went out with his wife and put it out there. The world found out and most importantly, the whole NHL found out. The profitable asset in Mike Hoffman just went from a first round pick(Big Money) to a bunch of crap. The teams asset got crushed by EK. Either way, the employee just sabotaged the Company. EM is pissed off about this, how could he not. This has fractured the relationship much more than EK shooting off his mouth 6 months ago to the media about his next contract. People need to remember, within all this scandal with the wives of the superstars, this has hurt the franchise in the future for years because of the asset being diminished. There are loads of scandals in hockey teams, many many stories of players wives/girlfriends having affairs with team mates and then the team handling it within with trades that do not make sense. This happens all the time. This should have been handled differently by EK and camp. And BTW, I love EK .

I just want to know how this is the fault of the Karlsson's? A reporter dug up the peace bond and investigated. Karlsson's declined to comment and then the Hoffman's did a whole interview for the news paper?

But hey, it's way easier to blame the victim

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I just want to know how this is the fault of the Karlsson's? A reporter dug up the peace bond and investigated. Karlsson's declined to comment and then the Hoffman's did a whole interview for the news paper?

But hey, it's way easier to blame the victim

EK65 could have opted to have this issue resolved internally, but perhaps they (Him and his Wife) did try that route at first, we don't know, but from what mysens has said, it does not look that way, and EK65s Wife filed for the peace bond .......... knowing that there was a good chance it would eventually become public at some point.

EK65 and his Wife were well in their rights to proceed as they saw fit, and given the nature of the issue, perhaps did not look at the possible consequences, as they were just wanting the cyber bullying to end, and were convinced they knew where it was coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia