What if Karlsson signs an extension and stays in Ottawa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I can't see this ending well for Ottawa, they have botched it so badly up until now because Melnyck is an erratic and fragile ego owner and that won't change - Ottawa's management group can't solve their problems because they are the problems

I can't see this ending well for Ottawa, they have botched it so badly up until now because Melnyck is an erratic and fragile ego owner and that won't change - Ottawa's management group can't solve their problems because they are the problems

This won't end well for Ottawa because Melnyck has a fragile ego and is erratic - the Ottawa management group is the source of their own problems so can never solve their own problems because they are chasing their own tails of dysfunction, they aren't spinning plates, they are smashing them one by one starting with the fine china.

If EK comes back, Ottawa will make the playoffs because EK is that good and can carry the team (considering we get decent goaltending) - this means he will be worth WAY more then $10 million, he'd be in Connor McJesus salary because he;d win the Norris, the MVP and be the best NHL player in the playoffs for however many games Ottawa plays.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

This won't end well for Ottawa because Melnyck has a fragile ego and is erratic - the Ottawa management group is the source of their own problems so can never solve their own problems because they are chasing their own tails of dysfunction, they aren't spinning plates, they are smashing them one by one starting with the fine china.

If EK comes back, Ottawa will make the playoffs because EK is that good and can carry the team (considering we get decent goaltending) - this means he will be worth WAY more then $10 million, he'd be in Connor McJesus salary because he;d win the Norris, the MVP and be the best NHL player in the playoffs for however many games Ottawa plays.

Think they've botched it?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
EK and company went out and aired the dirty laundry to the world.

... except for the fact that he didn't do this at all?

It took one of the best crime/court reporters in the country to dig through piles of legal papers to find the application for an order of protection filed silently by Melinda Curry.

In fact, the Karlsson's have basically barely said anything publicly about Hoffman, or the entire "feud" (for lack of a better word), to the press or anyone else.

I mean... maybe the team is angry that she filed for that order of protection, I guess? But it's a pretty wide gap between "privately filing for a legal document and having it go public through some seriously hard work and particularly good dedication to proper journalism" and "airing the dirty laundry to the world".

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

It took one of the best crime/court reporters in the country to dig through piles of legal papers to find the application for an order of protection filed silently by Melinda Curry.

In fact, the Karlsson's have basically barely said anything publicly about Hoffman, or the entire "feud" (for lack of a better word), to the press or anyone else.

I mean... maybe the team is angry that she filed for that order of protection, I guess? But it's a pretty wide gap between "privately filing for a legal document and having it go public through some seriously hard work and particularly good dedication to proper journalism" and "airing the dirty laundry to the world".
That court record should not have been public yet. The reporter didn’t even dig it up. Someone leaked it to them.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That court record should not have been public yet. The reporter didn’t even dig it up. Someone leaked it to them.

This is all so stupid, if the Karlsson's filed a public record they had to know it would be made public, these people golf with lawyers on a daily basis so they can't pretend they didn't know. This was done intentionally, this isn't something you stumble into, it takes lot's of paperwork and intention to file something like this

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is all so stupid, if the Karlsson's filed a public record they had to know it would be made public, these people golf with lawyers on a daily basis so they can't pretend they didn't know. This was done intentionally, this isn't something you stumble into, it takes lot's of paperwork and intention to file something like this

I'm sure if they could have kept it private they would have.

Clearly they felt that the risk of it becoming public was worth the steps taken.

I don't believe that it's some kind of subversive PR stunt.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Yes, technically neither EK65 or his wife have publicly talked about the application for a peace bond sworn in front of Justice of the Peace Louise Logue on May 4th this year.

They also initiated an investigation into the criminal harassment (stalking) allegations and that it is being probed by central district detectives, with the Ottawa police force.

As much as they tried to keep this out of the public domain, they must have known with the high profile that EK65 has in Ottawa, eventually, that someone in either the Ottawa Police force, or the Court system, would have leaked this to a reporter, or that a reporter would have eventullly uncovered this at some point.

They were well within their rights to proceed as they saw fit, and may, or may not have, tried to resolve this within the confines of the Senators organization, but there has been no indication of this that I'm aware of.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

It was filed more than a month before someone (Citizen court reporter Shaamini Yogaretnam) found it. Filing for the peace bond was May 4th, first reporting of it by the press was June 12th.

39 days is absolutely enough time for court records to become publicly accessible. Absolutely.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
It was filed more than a month before someone (Citizen court reporter Shaamini Yogaretnam) found it. Filing for the peace bond was May 4th, first reporting of it by the press was June 12th.

39 days is absolutely enough time for court records to become publicly accessible. Absolutely.
No. It’s been revealed that someone leaked the information. Macramalla explained this on the radio. He said the info wasn’t publicly available yet.
He devoted a whole big segment to this.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
No. It’s been revealed that someone leaked the information. Macramalla explained this on the radio. He said the info wasn’t publicly available yet.
He devoted a whole big segment to this.

Huh, I didn't hear that radio program.

That aside - 39 days is normally MORE than enough time for court transcripts to become publicly accessible (usually via paid services). That's just a fact. I have no idea why Macramella would suggest otherwise. Maybe it was leaked, I'm not saying it wasn't. Finding things in court records can be like finding a needle in a haystack, so it's entirely likely that someone might have leaked it - in that context, a leak makes total sense... but the information should absolutely have been public in some form by June 12th.

Last edited:

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah, his point was that nobody would have found this unless they were told it was there. And at the time, the information that the reporter had wasn’t publicly available because of the status of the peace bond (unserved?). Sort of a rabbit hole now and doesn’t matter.
My point was that some folks should probably reconsider blaming Karlsson for “airing dirty laundry”. This was a family in pain that was trying to protect itself. How people can take umbrage with that is beyond me.
It has also been openly discussed on the radio that if Dorion had kept that information secret, that his ability to remain a GM would have been compromised. It’s like selling a house without disclosing all known defects. And then trying to sell another house to the same clients again and again.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I already posted on another thread, but EM and company are pissed about the whole Hoffman scandal and that EK and company went out and aired the dirty laundry to the world. This was a big mistake on EK part. Our beloved superstar went out with his wife and put it out there. The world found out and most importantly, the whole NHL found out. The profitable asset in Mike Hoffman just went from a first round pick(Big Money) to a bunch of crap. The teams asset got crushed by EK. Either way, the employee just sabotaged the Company. EM is pissed off about this, how could he not. This has fractured the relationship much more than EK shooting off his mouth 6 months ago to the media about his next contract. People need to remember, within all this scandal with the wives of the superstars, this has hurt the franchise in the future for years because of the asset being diminished. There are loads of scandals in hockey teams, many many stories of players wives/girlfriends having affairs with team mates and then the team handling it within with trades that do not make sense. This happens all the time. This should have been handled differently by EK and camp. And BTW, I love EK .

[mod] not relevant

Your assessment of things makes a little sense in regards to the contract extension, but if this is coming from the org, it is just another cop out and excuse for not wanting to pay a generational talent what he deserves. EK was almost moved at the trade deadline, months before the Hoff news came out. How can do you explain that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad