What if Karlsson signs an extension and stays in Ottawa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I would high five someone...

...Hard.
BZX7MT4.gif

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We do have a lot of pretty good prospects around the corner that could turn our fortunes around. It might just be we need a little more time. Then again we though we had that under Murray and that pretty much sucked the life out of bingo.
We do. I just think that if we only end up having 50-60 mil to use and they're still going to be under some illusion of trying to have a playoff team, im not sure 11 or 12 mil deal for one player makes sense., even if it is the best one.

Reactions: albator71

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
If EK stays, pray that he stays healthy! Kinda funny that most folks on this board want EK to re-sign, but I wonder how many have paused for a moment to consider the risks of signing a player at 11.5 X 8? A contract like that can burn you pretty quick. Bobby Ryan’s, Phaneuf’s and Gaborik’s contracts are easy examples of albatross contracts. Not saying it will be the same with EK, but you never know.

Reactions: albator71

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Well, this is a pointless thread if I've ever seen one.

What if I win the lotto jackpot? Should I make a thread about it too?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If EK stays, pray that he stays healthy! Kinda funny that most folks on this board want EK to re-sign, but I wonder how many have paused for a moment to consider the risks of signing a player at 11.5 X 8? A contract like that can burn you pretty quick. Bobby Ryan’s, Phaneuf’s and Gaborik’s contracts are easy examples of albatross contracts. Not saying it will be the same with EK, but you never know.

If I was grand poobah of the NHL, contracts would max out at 4 years. I know players want security and all that, but performance can change so drastically in 8 years. Then you have to deal with buyouts, trading guys because of the cap, and burying contracts...it's just a mess.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If I was grand poobah of the NHL, contracts would max out at 4 years. I know players want security and all that, but performance can change so drastically in 8 years. Then you have to deal with buyouts, trading guys because of the cap, and burying contracts...it's just a mess.
I agree to a point and glad the NHL at least dug their heels in to keep it to 7/8 years. The 4 year idea has its downsides too though like in the NBA where you never have a stable core cuz someone is always up for FA, there's no loyalty at all from either side now, but part of that problem is the option years and incredibly complex cap system. It hurts from a fan standpoint being a fan of a league with no loyalty at all. I think a 5 or 6 year max without any kind of option year system is ideal, and maybe even take it further with non gauranteed money like in the NFL or at least a more forgiving buyout system. Bobby Ryan for example has not held up his end of the bargain, and i think there should be better options for cutting a player underperforming loose.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I agree to a point and glad the NHL at least dug their heels in to keep it to 7/8 years. The 4 year idea has its downsides too though like in the NBA where you never have a stable core cuz someone is always up for FA, there's no loyalty at all from either side now, but part of that problem is the option years and incredibly complex cap system. It hurts from a fan standpoint being a fan of a league with no loyalty at all. I think a 5 or 6 year max without any kind of option year system is ideal, and maybe even take it further with non gauranteed money like in the NFL or at least a more forgiving buyout system. Bobby Ryan for example has not held up his end of the bargain, and i think there should be better options for cutting a player underperforming loose.

I can see the league putting in a max of 6 years. No way the players would ever get rid of guaranteed contracts though. Not sure if I like the idea of taking away guaranteed contracts, either. I could see the buyout amounts changing...still 1/3 for younger players, and perhaps 1/2 for older ones (instead of 2/3rds).

we'll find out soon enough, as another lockout is almost guaranteed at this point.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I can see the league putting in a max of 6 years. No way the players would ever get rid of guaranteed contracts though. Not sure if I like the idea of taking away guaranteed contracts, either. I could see the buyout amounts changing...still 1/3 for younger players, and perhaps 1/2 for older ones (instead of 2/3rds).

we'll find out soon enough, as another lockout is almost guaranteed at this point.
Ya i dont actually hold any hope of non gauranteed money being worked it, and it is a tough debate, but in an ideal world i think there should be some sort of consequences for not performing.

You're right though, there will be more changes after this next lockout happens and i hope they take it further to try to eliminate as much of the haves and have nots system as possible like this silly bonus BS.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
What if I stopped being an insufferable killjoy?
Karlsson isn't staying. It's been pretty much confirmed by Steve on TSN1200.

If he had wanted to stay he would have simply signed the 10x8 deal offered him.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What if I stopped being an insufferable killjoy?
Karlsson isn't staying. It's been pretty much confirmed by Steve on TSN1200.

If he had wanted to stay he would have simply signed the 10x8 deal offered him.
Maybe he's holding out for a sale? He still has a year left on his contract.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
If Karlsson signs an extension in Ottawa I will get his faced Tattooed on my shoulder, I

always told myself that my first tattoo would be a zombie centurion when the sens win the cup but this is almost just as big to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad