NFL GDT: Week 17

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Absolutely devastating scene. To go from the elation of watching Bedard to seeing this... from one of the best to the absolute worst thing I've ever seen in sports. As great as the best moments are, a moment like this makes them microscope in magnitude and impact in comparison. I feel for everyone who was on that field tonight and all of their families. Just devastating.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That could go either way.

When the ambulance isn't in a rush it could mean it's not a time emergency.

It could also mean they don't think he's gonna make it.

However, at this point, if the situation was as dire as the latter, we may have heard that by now.
I see why one believes that, but paramedics aren't trained to think, they're trained to do. If his passing was any worse than imminent, they would've been rushing to the hospital and have a doctor decide that.

Reactions: Machinehead

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I find it hard to believe that team doctor's don't monitor athlete's heart extensively to rule out what could potentially be hypertrophic cardiomyopathy leading to cardiac arrest.
Hamlin is in the top 0.01% of the population playing football at the greatest level. I doubt this is HCM given that you’re at risk just from strenuous exercise, not trauma.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Can't imagine it would happen but it would be something if both teams agreed to just forfeit this game and focus on next week.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY

A Cornell lacrosse player died of this blocking a shot while I was a student at Ithaca in 2004. The fact that he's still with us is better than it could have been. Hopefully the instant care saved him. But it very much looked like he took a helmet in that area. Just a complete fluke 1 in a million timing issue.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

PaddyMcStackin

Goalier Than Thou
Apr 18, 2018
Brings back memories of the Jay Bouwmeester event in Anaheim.

You'd think the NFL would have procedures in place for such an event after seeing it happen recently in another league.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

A Cornell lacrosse player died of this blocking a shot while I was a student at Ithaca in 2004. The fact that he's still with us is better than it could have been. Hopefully the instant care saved him. But it very much looked like he took a helmet in that area. Just a complete fluke 1 in a million timing issue.

I am a Cornell alum...from the class of 2004.

This shit hits close to home.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Brings back memories of the Jay Bouwmeester event in Anaheim.

You'd think the NFL would have procedures in place for such an event after seeing it happen recently in another league.
Sometimes you have things happen and think you're ready for it, and immediately find out it's wrong. Whether it took too long to get there, as long as the right thing is done, and the right thing did happen without wrong things playing out. But it's still a good point. The psychological element is impossible, and every one of those guys are going to be afraid to take their next hit.

It's a day we always knew was coming, and we hope didn't come tonight.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'm just praying Hamlin ends up like Chris Pronger after he took a slap shot to the chest, and has a long happy career after he recovers from this.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I just hope Tee Higgins doesn't get blamed for this.
I hope he’s not blaming himself for anything. He didn’t do anything at all and is no more at fault than I am from my couch.

Man, f*** Goodell.

He really said after these players watched a man get cpr for 10 minutes and get ambulanced out not breathing they had 5 minutes to get back to work.

f*** him

PaddyMcStackin

Goalier Than Thou
Apr 18, 2018
Sometimes you have things happen and think you're ready for it, and immediately find out it's wrong. Whether it took too long to get there, as long as the right thing is done, and the right thing did happen without wrong things playing out. But it's still a good point. The psychological element is impossible, and every one of those guys are going to be afraid to take their next hit.

It's a day we always knew was coming, and we hope didn't come tonight.
Sorry.. After re-reading my comment, I wasn't clear at all.

I meant to suggest that the NFL would be better prepared in how to proceed if such an event were to happen during a game.. to postpone or continue playing.

Obviously they ended up making the right decision, but the players may have forced their hand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad