NFL GDT: Week 17

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I think it's reasonable to assume no news is good news at this point. Pretty sure we'd know by now if the worst case scenario had happened early on or overnight.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I think it's reasonable to assume no news is good news at this point. Pretty sure we'd know by now if the worst case scenario had happened early on or overnight.
Wish I could agree with that assessment but I can’t.

Downtime before CPR and more importantly before his normal rhythm was restored is key here.

His heart is likely fine at this time assuming he had no preexisting muscle weakness (cardiomyopathy). It’s all about neurologic recovery right now.

Hoping for the best. Some positive news sooner than later is critically important.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Was just posting this in the other thread about schedules, but I think the only reason the Denmark game was able to resume that quickly was because Eriksen was awake, alert, and his recovery (at least on the human level) had a clear path. I can’t imagine the team would have played when they did if he was in a medically induced coma. Instead he was conscious as he left the stadium and was able to talk to his teammates shortly after.

The same clearly isn’t true for Hamlin which is why the postponement is for (at least) a day or two instead of only a few hours.
Some reports said the players were given the choice of finishing the match that day, or the next day. Peter Schmeichel said that they were told they would have to play or forfeit the game. Personally I can't imagine how anyone could expect even professional athletes to continue after something like this. There's no way you could possibly have your mind really on the game.

What happened to Christian Eriksen at Euro 2020? Denmark star's medical emergency explained | Goal.com

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Wish I could agree with that assessment but I can’t.

Downtime before CPR and more importantly before his normal rhythm was restored is key here.

His heart is likely fine at this time assuming he had no preexisting muscle weakness (cardiomyopathy). It’s all about neurologic recovery right now.

Hoping for the best. Some positive news sooner than later is critically important.
The good news from what I have read is that chest compressions started nearly immediately after the heart stopped.

There really is almost no better place to have this injury than at a NFL game other than a hospital (not that there is any good place).

Hoping for the best.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
From what I understand he'll be in a medically induced coma through at least late night tonight/ tomorrow morning while they do testing. Don't know that the public gets updated until he's awake. The public has no rights to the results of that testing - it could be released but only with the family's blessing.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
From what I understand he'll be in a medically induced coma through at least late night tonight/ tomorrow morning while they do testing. Don't know that the public gets updated until he's awake. The public has no rights to the results of that testing - it could be released but only with the family's blessing.
I agree that the public won’t get any medical updates until well after the family has been told and can make a decision of what they wish to do.

The NFL and PA also need to be notified but they will keep decisions and information limited to a need to know basis.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
That's an awesome sign.

Hope they are able to deduce the level of damage to his body soon so that healing can begin.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There was a whole other thing no one knew about. Good thing they didn’t restart the game.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
That's an awesome sign.

Hope they are able to deduce the level of damage to his body soon so that healing can begin.
It’s great that the first update was a positive one and within a day of the episode. His uncle said he’s still sedated because they’re focusing on healing his lungs and getting him to breathe fully on his own…but from where we were almost 24 hours ago this is a promising sign I’d think.

I know he’s in the best hands he can be in

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Random question from not a doctor: Why are vfib and vtach so much more dangerous than afib?

ventricles can pick up their own rhythm independently of atria. thus, ventricles can still pump blood during atrial fibrillation. during ventricular fibrillation or tachycardia, ventricles can't pump the blood to the arteries as well as during atrial fibrillation.

• Wow
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

There’s been rumblings of positive progress this morning but there isn’t expected to be an official statement from the hospital today.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

His team has 3 losses by a combined like…8 points and he’s dealt with two deadly weather events, one that lost him a home game and forced them to play 3 games in 12 days without the ability to practice. He rallied the team around the mass shooting in Buffalo to do good works in the community. He’s played most of the season with half his starting D injured and Allen couldn’t throw right for a month. Then this happened.

He’s never won the award despite breaking a 17 year playoff drought with the worst roster to ever make the playoffs or making it again in Allen’s second year when everyone thought he was still trash.

Turned a perennial laughing stock into a 3 time division champion and counting. And has never gotten a sniff of an award they hand to guys like the Browns coach for not failing to make the playoffs once with a team full of top 5 picks.

Award is a joke. Specifically because of this omission.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Coach of the year is kind of a misnomer. it's more often or not the "this coach had the best story" award. Vrabel winning it last year was at least deserved.

But guys like Stefanski, Garrett and even McVay the first time he won it won it off their team rather than their coaching accumen. Which is why i guarantee you that award is 100% going to go to Doug Pederson if the Jags can close the deal Saturday night.

Kinda like how the Jack Adams Trophy always goes to whoever rode their goalie harder into the playoffs.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

His team has 3 losses by a combined like…8 points and he’s dealt with two deadly weather events, one that lost him a home game and forced them to play 3 games in 12 days without the ability to practice. He rallied the team around the mass shooting in Buffalo to do good works in the community. He’s played most of the season with half his starting D injured and Allen couldn’t throw right for a month. Then this happened.

He’s never won the award despite breaking a 17 year playoff drought with the worst roster to ever make the playoffs or making it again in Allen’s second year when everyone thought he was still trash.

Turned a perennial laughing stock into a 3 time division champion and counting. And has never gotten a sniff of an award they hand to guys like the Browns coach for not failing to make the playoffs once with a team full of top 5 picks.

Award is a joke. Specifically because of this omission.

I agree he has done a great job but look at the players Brian Daboll has and how much a joke the Giants were prior 5 seasons. Them and the Jets had worst records in the NFL during that time span. It is going to him and rightfully so.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Coach of the year is kind of a misnomer. it's more often or not the "this coach had the best story" award. Vrabel winning it last year was at least deserved.

But guys like Stefanski, Garrett and even McVay the first time he won it won it off their team rather than their coaching accumen. Which is why i guarantee you that award is 100% going to go to Doug Pederson if the Jags can close the deal Saturday night.

Kinda like how the Jack Adams Trophy always goes to whoever rode their goalie harder into the playoffs.
When you look at the history of the Jack Adams Trophy, it is truly worthless. You do have some guys who won it more than once, and they deserved that (would like a backstory on how Jacques Demers won it back to back years because it seems impossible). But you also have a bunch of guys who won it and then went completely off the map.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad