NFL GDT: Week 17

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sorry.. After re-reading my comment, I wasn't clear at all.

I meant to suggest that the NFL would be better prepared in how to proceed if such an event were to happen during a game.. to postpone or continue playing.

Obviously they ended up making the right decision, but the players may have forced their hand.
I think the 5-minute thing is being overblown, really. The officials probably needed that time to be in proper communication with the league.

It was 45 minutes from the suspension of the game to calling it off. That seemed longer in real time, but is reasonable to know what to do.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It's only an hour 20 minute flight direct. I don't think they play tomorrow unless he takes a sharp upturn, but I don't know if we should read into the flight.
Yeah that's what i'm curious on.

I know Buffalo to Cincy isn't a long flight, but it feels rather pointless to leave, then come back a day later if the game is played on say, Wednesday night.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Yeah that's what i'm curious on.

I know Buffalo to Cincy isn't a long flight, but it feels rather pointless to leave, then come back a day later if the game is played on say, Wednesday night.
They probably wanted the players to be in their own homes, regardless of when a game is played

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The tweet about them flying back home doesn't actually mean they left already, right?
The players are still at the stadium because the busses are still there.

The flight is chartered, but the hotel is not. So unless they get umpteen hotel rooms in short order (which I guess could happen on a day like today), they were always going to have to leave.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I don't think medically induced comas are that rare over short periods of time for testing. But I am in no way an expert or even a studied amateur on the subject.
Very common. Two reasons: 1. Complete a CT scan/other testing to check for acute injuries as quick as possible like aortic transection, cardiac tamponade, pneumothorax, head/neck injuries, etc. without having to deal with him moving with a breathing tube in and 2. If suspected injury to the brain after the event, medically induced coma is necessary for targeted temperature management, which is cooling the body after a cardiac arrest for a period of time to try to reduce injury to the brain after the event essentially.

But this is speculation in general of the event. I want to make that clear that I can’t be certain what happened but it looks like commotio cordis. Just a bit odd the timeline of him standing after the hit then passing back out and then losing pulse. But the heart does funky things when just starting to code and it’s conceivable that the built up blood pressure from the beats of the heart prior to the traumatic arrhythmia allowed him to stand.

Source: pure speculation of the event and report reading, but I’m an ER physician.

Last edited:

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Very common. Two reasons: 1. Complete a CT scan/other testing to check for acute injuries as quick as possible like aortic transection, cardiac tamponade, pneumothorax, head/neck injuries, etc. without having to deal with him moving with a breathing tube in and 2. If suspected injury to the brain after the event, medically induced coma is necessary for targeted temperature management, which is cooling the body after a cardiac arrest for a period of time to try to reduce injury to the brain after the event essentially.

But this is speculation in general of the event. I want to make that clear that I can’t be certain what happened but it looks like commotio cordis. Just a bit odd the timeline of him standing after the hit then passing back out and then losing pulse again. But the heart does funky things when just starting to code and it’s conceivable that the built up blood pressure from the beats of the heart prior to the traumatic arrhythmia allowed him to stand.

Source: pure speculation of the event and report reading, but I’m an ER physician.
I thought his reaction was actually very similar to Pronger. Skated few a few seconds before collapsing.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Just a question about CPR since it sounds like they were treating him with it for so long:

Is there a possibility of brain damage, or does CPR do enough for getting oxygen to the brain?

Anyways, obviously I hope he pulls through and kudos for the coaches/players calling it for the night.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Just a question about CPR since it sounds like they were treating him with it for so long:

Is there a possibility of brain damage, or does CPR do enough for getting oxygen to the brain?

Anyways, obviously I hope he pulls through and kudos for the coaches/players calling it for the night.
CPR is something but it doesn’t replicate how well your heart pumps blood around the body. The longer the time without CPR the worse, and the longer the time with CPR before your heart can start working again, the worse. There is possibility of brain damage with any period of time without oxygen to the brain, CPR or not.

Reactions: Seedtype

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
These videos they keep showing of the players. Burrow crouched down, eyes wide, looking like he’s seen a ghost. Theyre literally watching a man being given life saving medical care and not knowing how it is going to end up. For almost TEN minutes straight.

and the league told the refs to tell them they had five minutes.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3