Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
It’s like 10% difference. It’s not that bad
If he signed with the Pens instead of FLA @ $10 mil per, that's $307,000 per year he'd be losing. Compared to $10 million it's not a lot. But that's $2 million over 7 years.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
If he signed with the Pens instead of FLA @ $10 mil per, that's $307,000 per year he'd be losing. Compared to $10 million it's not a lot. But that's $2 million over 7 years.

Right so you sign him for 10.25 if it’s truly a problem.

My point is the team pays a little extra.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Here is the biggest question of the offseason to me…. Can we trick Edmonton into thinking Tristan Jarry is a good goalie??????
I’ll forgive Dubas for the Graves contract if he can trade Jarry without another bad contract coming back…

Reactions: Zbynek

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Here is the biggest question of the offseason to me…. Can we trick Edmonton into thinking Tristan Jarry is a good goalie??????
That's been my idea but I also think we'd have to take Campbell back. But, in doing that, I think we could get some assets packaged along with Campbell. And I still think they'd have to eat a little of his salary, like 15-20%, depending on the assets.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
That's been my idea but I also think we'd have to take Campbell back. But, in doing that, I think we could get some assets packaged along with Campbell. And I still think they'd have to eat a little of his salary, like 15-20%, depending on the assets.
Maybe get creative and work a 3-way deal out where the Pens send Jarry to Edmonton, get back picks/prospects and the 3rd team takes Campbell plus an asset to eat his contract?

Reactions: Jacob

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Edmonton is in a rough spot. Not a ton of good prospects, not a ton of great roster assets they can afford to trade out, and outside of McDrai, they have little to offer. They are in the 2014-2015, maybe even 2010/2011 Pens spot where it was the Sid and Geno show surrounded by mediocrity.

They could certainly use Jarry but I'm not even sure what they would be willing to give up that would justify us sending him there. I'm not taking Campbell back unless there is a significant reason to do so, like maybe getting Holloway in return. But Holloway is the exact type of guy they need to be keeping. Tough sell.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Edmonton is in a rough spot. Not a ton of good prospects, not a ton of great roster assets they can afford to trade out, and outside of McDrai, they have little to offer. They are in the 2014-2015, maybe even 2010/2011 Pens spot where it was the Sid and Geno show surrounded by mediocrity.

They could certainly use Jarry but I'm not even sure what they would be willing to give up that would justify us sending him there. I'm not taking Campbell back unless there is a significant reason to do so, like maybe getting Holloway in return. But Holloway is the exact type of guy they need to be keeping. Tough sell.
Imo, us getting out of Jarry’s contract without taking a bad one like Campbell in return would be a win enough…they can give us a 7th round pick or future considerations if they take that whole contract lol

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Imo, us getting out of Jarry’s contract without taking a bad one like Campbell in return would be a win enough…they can give us a 7th round pick or future considerations if they take that whole contract lol
I'd have to think hard about a Jarry fora 7th trade deal. I don't think I'm at the "trade him at all costs" point. An extra $5.75mil is going to be taken up by a new goalie and the rest will go to the raise of a guy like POJ. So I'm not sure we come out that far ahead.

I would like to trade Jarry but I think I'm still in the "trade for value" mode as I do believe given the poor goalie market that Jarry would indeed still have value. I'd rather make a deal with a team that needs a goalie that has a young forward to send us, like LA and Grundstrom/Kayilev/Turcotte or NJD with Holtz.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Holland is awful. But that team actively kills its depth. Spread out the players.

Hyman - McDavid - XXX
Kane - Drai - XXX
Foegle - RNH - XXX

That should be a great start to a top 9. Thats 6 guys who can pot 20+ goals
Then you plug in guys like Mcleod, Holloway, Perry etc.

How many coaches are they going to cycle through who just stack the top line.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Holland is awful. But that team actively kills its depth. Spread out the players.

Hyman - McDavid - XXX
Kane - Drai - XXX
Foegle - RNH - XXX

That should be a great start to a top 9. Thats 6 guys who can pot 20+ goals
Then you plug in guys like Mcleod, Holloway, Perry etc.

How many coaches are they going to cycle through who just stack the top line.
That Nurse contract is killings them. They have $9mil in space next year and need 5 forwards, 1 dman.

If they had $18+mil, they could afford to run that lineup, then get two top-six wings at $5mil each and a 3RW for $3mil. Then, they would have money to get a decent D-man and a couple of fourth-liners. As is...woof. And if Drai won't resign, they are going to be in a world of hurt.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think the Oilers stack McDrai to pad stats. :laugh: When it happens, I'm sure it's to either get a spark offensively because they're chasing on the scoreboard, or to try and overwhelm the opposition cuz, uh, goals win games. :laugh:

But yeah, they seem like a team that could be really interested in Jarry. Might need to find a third team to take Campbell since he's of no use to this team and the Oilers are gonna need to move him if they're trying to get Jarry. Feels like too many moving parts to be realistic, but I'd love to see Jarry outta this organization--and much like Sullivan, I don't really give a shit who the replacement is tbh. :laugh:

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I'd have to think hard about a Jarry fora 7th trade deal. I don't think I'm at the "trade him at all costs" point. An extra $5.75mil is going to be taken up by a new goalie and the rest will go to the raise of a guy like POJ. So I'm not sure we come out that far ahead.

I would like to trade Jarry but I think I'm still in the "trade for value" mode as I do believe given the poor goalie market that Jarry would indeed still have value. I'd rather make a deal with a team that needs a goalie that has a young forward to send us, like LA and Grundstrom/Kayilev/Turcotte or NJD with Holtz.
Ideally you don't spend anywhere close to 5m for a goalie. Run with goalie depth like this : Stolarz/Rittch/Larsson/Blomqvist

Unless you have one of the top-5 goalies, there is absolutely no reason to pay them anything above ~2m. Can't get attached to guys like Jarry or anyone in his tier.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ideally you don't spend anywhere close to 5m for a goalie. Run with goalie depth like this : Stolarz/Rittch/Larsson/Blomqvist

Unless you have one of the top-5 goalies, there is absolutely no reason to pay them anything above ~2m. Can't get attached to guys like Jarry or anyone in his tier.
Agreed. I've preached about "good enough" goaltending recently and I'm with you. I think the better-ish route is to trade Jarry for a young forward, resign Nedeljkovich, promote Blomqvist, and then sign a journeyman AHL goalie that could step in if Blomqvist poos the bed sheets.

Neds comes in at $3mil most likely. The young forward, at $2mil or so. I think that's better for the team than Jarry at $5.75mil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malkinstheman

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Some level of reasonableness here:

POJ, DOC, Koivunen for Marner
Kaliyev for Jarry

Rakell-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Marner
Smith-Ponomarov-Kaliyev
Poulin-Eller-Acciari
Puljujarvi

Pettersson-EK
Graves-Letang
Shea-JSI
Ludvig

Nedeljkovich
Blomqvist

$1.5mil roughly in cap space. Could create more by trade Smith out and upgrading 2LD and playing a guy like Yager.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Kaliyev for Jarry

Rakell-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Marner
Smith-Ponomarov-Kaliyev
Poulin-Eller-Acciari
Puljujarvi

Pettersson-EK
Graves-Letang
Shea-JSI
Ludvig

Nedeljkovich
Blomqvist

$1.5mil roughly in cap space. Could create more by trade Smith out and upgrading 2LD and playing a guy like Yager.

I like these ideas a lot. On Marner, I think the ONLY chance we have of getting Marner is if Treliving is a Tristan Jarry fan. That or if Marner pulls a Patrick Kane and tells the Leafs I ONLY want to play for the Pittsburgh Penguins. At that point, they likely hold onto him for one more season and deal his rights for a draft pick. If we hypothesize Marner to the Pens for Reilly Smith and Tristan Jarry, the money in and money out is virtually even. I would rather hold onto our youth, but I also understand that we have to give to get. But the Leafs are where we used to be...prospects and young players do very little for them at this time. At least, that is their mentality.

I like Kaliyev but I don't think he is worth Jarry when we consider how bad LA's goaltending situation is. It's not just Talbot being UFA, but also Rittich and Copley! And the latter had serious surgery this past season. They have one good goaltending prospect in Erik Portillo. That's it! Plus, Kaliyev is a player who could be completely wasted under Sullivan. SO, he might only become an asset in a post-Sullivan world (and we don't even know when or if that will ever happen!).

If the Kings want Jarry, I would ask for the highest draft pick they would be willing to part with. We could conceivably land a first, though perhaps not in 2024 (which would be fine by me).

For the Devils, I like Holtz a lot as well. But I think the better fit for us at this time is Dawson Mercer. I don't know if he is a reasonable trade target or not, but the Devils are another team that needs a starting goaltender. And Mercer is an RFA. With McLeod's career likely finished, would Lars Eller be of interest to the Devils? To replace Mercer, would a guy with Cup championship pedigree like Reilly Smith be of interest to them? If they re-sign his brother Brendan, maybe?

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Mercer

Would love that top six. Mercer kills penalties, can take draws and be the defensive conscience of his line, which is perfect. Plus he has untapped offensive upside, which is something Malkin and Bunting might be able to unleash.

This would also create more depth if we have guys like Rakell on the third line, plus all of the kids.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
What would Edmonton possibly offer for Jarry?
Campbell and a 1st for Jarry. Keep Campbell in the AHL. But maybe there will be a 3 team trade where the 3rd team eats a part of Campbells contract. Like maybe 2M? they trade their 2nd or 3rd for team 3 for them to eat 2M.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I like these ideas a lot. On Marner, I think the ONLY chance we have of getting Marner is if Treliving is a Tristan Jarry fan. That or if Marner pulls a Patrick Kane and tells the Leafs I ONLY want to play for the Pittsburgh Penguins. At that point, they likely hold onto him for one more season and deal his rights for a draft pick. If we hypothesize Marner to the Pens for Reilly Smith and Tristan Jarry, the money in and money out is virtually even. I would rather hold onto our youth, but I also understand that we have to give to get. But the Leafs are where we used to be...prospects and young players do very little for them at this time. At least, that is their mentality.

I like Kaliyev but I don't think he is worth Jarry when we consider how bad LA's goaltending situation is. It's not just Talbot being UFA, but also Rittich and Copley! And the latter had serious surgery this past season. They have one good goaltending prospect in Erik Portillo. That's it! Plus, Kaliyev is a player who could be completely wasted under Sullivan. SO, he might only become an asset in a post-Sullivan world (and we don't even know when or if that will ever happen!).

If the Kings want Jarry, I would ask for the highest draft pick they would be willing to part with. We could conceivably land a first, though perhaps not in 2024 (which would be fine by me).

For the Devils, I like Holtz a lot as well. But I think the better fit for us at this time is Dawson Mercer. I don't know if he is a reasonable trade target or not, but the Devils are another team that needs a starting goaltender. And Mercer is an RFA. With McLeod's career likely finished, would Lars Eller be of interest to the Devils? To replace Mercer, would a guy with Cup championship pedigree like Reilly Smith be of interest to them? If they re-sign his brother Brendan, maybe?

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Mercer

Would love that top six. Mercer kills penalties, can take draws and be the defensive conscience of his line, which is perfect. Plus he has untapped offensive upside, which is something Malkin and Bunting might be able to unleash.

This would also create more depth if we have guys like Rakell on the third line, plus all of the kids.
I toss around the idea of sending Jarry to LA first and having it be something like Jarry for Kaliyev+3rd and also sending the 3rd to Toronto. Part of that deal though is being absolved of Jarry's contract so there's unseen value there too.

I don't think the devils would have interest in Eller. They have Haula as a 3C. And Nosek and a free agency class to sign a 4C.

I don't think we can lander Mercer but something around Jarry for Holtz would be just fine given that they had that as a premise in the Markstrom trade.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Kaliyev for Jarry

Rakell-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Marner
Smith-Ponomarov-Kaliyev
Poulin-Eller-Acciari
Puljujarvi

Pettersson-EK
Graves-Letang
Shea-JSI
Ludvig

Nedeljkovich
Blomqvist

Can’t see that Marner trade working.

Reactions: Victor Z

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad