OT: Weather

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I used to have a portable unit in my bedroom but the rest of the house was to hot for my dogs. I ended up spending 6,000 on central air just so my dogs would be comfortable....

Maybe it would've been cheaper to get short haired dogs?

:sarcasm:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Our home is well built, about 25 years old, but the bedrooms are on the top floor. I like to have it cool at night to get a good sleep, and when you have the sun beating down on your home for 14-18 hours a day in the summer, even proper insulation can't do it all. No need for us to head down to a lower floor rec room for relief.;)

Sounds like you have a two level or split level house. The worst kind, unfortunately, for funnelling interior heat up into the bedrooms on top level. With a properly built bungalow with a light color shingle roof and adequate insulation, ventilation, we have no problem.
We even have a bedroom downstairs anyway in basement if we need to, hardly ever do.

Not sure if its anything to do with it but we have thick, excellently applied light shaded stucco on all our exterior wall. Seems to be far superior to vinyl clad in a lot of ways.

Finally we still have sliding windows, which allow much more air in and out. Not those new crank ones that hardly open.

Last edited:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I was very hesitant to get AC in Edmonton, but I'd never ever go back again. Quality of sleep alone is massively improved during those hot stretches.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
I can tell how much cooler it was this summer just from our lack of AC usage. I don't know how people live without it, nothing worse than sleeping in a bedroom that is too hot. Worth every penny.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So I'm curious what is too hot for people, when sleeping, Nothing much else going on in the thread.

At this latitude night time temps are almost always lower than standard room temp 21C. All we do is put a square fan in the window on the 3-4 hot nights a year for 30mins at 11or 12, get cooler air in, and sleep. No problem with room temp. The window fan cost 20bucks and fits and works like a charm.

I wonder as well if people that have AC have come from hotter places in Canada like the GTA. On the prairies here theres not much need for it.

The next thing you'll see in this thread is people complaining about it being too cold here. yet they want it to be cold in summer..

I know a neighbor who alternately uses AC/heating. Seems she can't exist with 2C variance of any kind. Like a reptile..

We're warm blooded creatures people. Our bodies were built to withstand moderate differences in temperature. Consume a bit less energy maybe.

ps I didn't compose this link but it captures it.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/floperry/things-youll-understand-if-you-just-hate-air-conditioning

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So I'm curious what is too hot for people, when sleeping, Nothing much else going on in the thread.

At this latitude night time temps are almost always lower than standard room temp 21C. All we do is put a square fan in the window on the 3-4 hot nights a year for 30mins at 11or 12, get cooler air in, and sleep. No problem with room temp. The window fan cost 20bucks and fits and works like a charm.

I wonder as well if people that have AC have come from hotter places in Canada like the GTA. On the prairies here theres not much need for it.

The next thing you'll see in this thread is people complaining about it being too cold here. yet they want it to be cold in summer..

I know a neighbor who alternately uses AC/heating. Seems she can't exist with 2C variance of any kind. Like a reptile..

We're warm blooded creatures people. Our bodies were built to withstand moderate differences in temperature.
I keep my place at 17-18 in the winter and love it. I have no AC, but if I did that's where I'd have it in the summer.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A bit disconnected, but in line with discussion on how creature comfort is and what we accept. Any COE rec center, due to deplorable design elements has their facilities way too humid due to the huge indoor poor areas and the humidity gets though the entire building. Work out area, everything. In summer the humidity in these places makes it harder to work out. The ventilation seems crazy bad. If they used a dehumidifier they would suck up swimming pools of water from those places. Humidity, to that degree, sucks when working out. You sweat instantly doing anything and the work out equipment suffers for it. (also the humidity wreaks havoc on the workout equipment) They make all these places with not one window that cracks open.

I believe in open windows.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

We're warm blooded creatures people. Our bodies were built to withstand moderate differences in temperature. Consume a bit less energy maybe.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/floperry/things-youll-understand-if-you-just-hate-air-conditioning

I have the AC set to 23 at night during the summer. Any higher and I start to get uncomfortable. Kids rooms end up around 22 because the vents get to them 1st. Not a bad thing for kids to sleep cooler. Dogs are a breed that don't like to get too hot as well. Get fresh air in the house via the HRV system. Windows rarely open. I personally get hot and can sweat pretty easily, especially with high humidity. I blame genetics :). Wife and kids seem to handle heat a lot better than me, lucky them.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have the AC set to 23 at night during the summer. Any higher and I start to get uncomfortable. Kids rooms end up around 22 because the vents get to them 1st. Not a bad thing for kids to sleep cooler. Dogs are a breed that don't like to get too hot as well. Get fresh air in the house via the HRV system. Windows rarely open. I personally get hot and can sweat pretty easily, especially with high humidity. I blame genetics :). Wife and kids seem to handle heat a lot better than me, lucky them.

First thing I do in a hotel room is turn off the AC and open the window, if available. First thing I go to in a restaurant is an outdoor patio, if available.

I have arthritis and A/C is like jackhammers on my body. It interferes with my sleep. Its not the cold itself, its that AC changes the barometric pressure and humidity of a room in a way that impacts arthritis as well as other autoimmune conditions.
Our indoor temp is rarely over 24C at night, with windows open.

Some pro tips. Windows closed during hot days, open at night. Thermal curtains closed when sun is shining in. Especially bed room. We even have a west facing bedroom and no prob. 27C is hottest it ever gets and then we just use the fan to cool it off at night for half an hour to 23 or 24 on those few hottest days of the year.

The only time that can be typically problematic here is July right near the longest days. Things can heat up after the longest day June 21. By august the days are too short for bedtime heat to usually be a problem. For instance its dark now at 9pm.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Don't like to have windows open, as we don't care for the drag racing noise from our streets at 3 in the morning.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
A bit disconnected, but in line with discussion on how creature comfort is and what we accept. Any COE rec center, due to deplorable design elements has their facilities way too humid due to the huge indoor poor areas and the humidity gets though the entire building. Work out area, everything. In summer the humidity in these places makes it harder to work out. The ventilation seems crazy bad. If they used a dehumidifier they would suck up swimming pools of water from those places. Humidity, to that degree, sucks when working out. You sweat instantly doing anything and the work out equipment suffers for it. (also the humidity wreaks havoc on the workout equipment) They make all these places with not one window that cracks open.

I believe in open windows.
That's one of the reasons why I hate going to the gym, haha. Would very much rather do all my exercise outside.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's one of the reasons why I hate going to the gym, haha. Would very much rather do all my exercise outside.
Yeah, I prefer outdoor activities but I have to do some specific training in the gym to reinforce some old aging joints..other than that outside, every time of year.

The City, instead of spending all they do on these enormously expensive rec facilities (that aren't even that enjoyable indoors) should build some more outdoor workout facilities. Devon has one, other small towns have em. Actual outdoor workout circuits and training facilities usually located near kids parks. So that the kids play, and the adults can do their thing at the same time in visual range.

We're building future generations that won't be able to go outside or tolerate any weather or changes in temperature. I think since Malls this has been an escalating trend.

I remember our community parks and rec facility had an outdoor rink, outdoor pool, a small skate shack and a one room rec facility. Everything else they had was just equipment for outdoor activities. There was no such thing then as indoor rec facilities. I think the first was YMCA downtown. Then a facility at Rundle Park that was funded largely through several telethons.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
111 Street, 51 Avenue, Calgary Trail. All come through loud and proud, take your pick. And Whyte Ave is drag strip after 6 pm. Wish the city would grow a sack and get after those noise fines.

I’m on the south side right in the middle of all that as well lol. I feel your pain.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Here in Qatar it's almost mandatory for a house to have an AC in every room. It's impossible to sleep when it's 40-50 degree outside.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Here in Qatar it's almost mandatory for a house to have an AC in every room. It's impossible to sleep when it's 40-50 degree outside.

If I lived in a furnace I would have air conditioning and suffer through it.

But more likely if at all possible I would move away from the furnace to a more temperate climate.

Edmonton had about one 30C day this year. In May strangely enough. There were hardly any days in which the temp stayed high overnight or that it was still warm in the morning. That just wasn't happening. Pretty easy summer.

not even the local kids that like to roam around all night doing vandalism or whatever were practicing their craft. It was too cold. Not one night all summer with any shenanigans occurring. Best summer for limiting that.. Usually August is crazy time with some kids bored and looking for some trouble late at night. Not a whisper of petty crime and vandalism this summer.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
If I lived in a furnace I would have air conditioning and suffer through it.

But more likely if at all possible I would move away from the furnace to a more temperate climate.

Edmonton had about one 30C day this year. In May strangely enough. There were hardly any days in which the temp stayed high overnight or that it was still warm in the morning. That just wasn't happening. Pretty easy summer.

not even the local kids that like to roam around all night doing vandalism or whatever were practicing their craft. It was too cold. Not one night all summer with any shenanigans occurring. Best summer for limiting that.. Usually August is crazy time with some kids bored and looking for some trouble late at night. Not a whisper of petty crime and vandalism this summer.
lucky you.
here in windermere it was a brutal summer for that, and getting worse every year.
high class ghetto.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
lucky you.
here in windermere it was a brutal summer for that, and getting worse every year.
high class ghetto.

Ironically I'm in Millwoods and problems were non existent all summer.

This being the neighborhood that is supposed to have the bad rep, and yet has no problems to speak of in the Southeast portion.

The only disruption all summer is blasted Telus installing all the fibre optic cables and ripping things up and waking people up all summer doing that. Just incredible with modern technology, ability to burrow lines underground, and all the equipment they have that the work is as pedestrian as to take several months doing it.

It wouldn't take much longer to ditch dig it all by hand and spade, somebodies getting paid..

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Yeah, I prefer outdoor activities but I have to do some specific training in the gym to reinforce some old aging joints..other than that outside, every time of year.

The City, instead of spending all they do on these enormously expensive rec facilities (that aren't even that enjoyable indoors) should build some more outdoor workout facilities. Devon has one, other small towns have em. Actual outdoor workout circuits and training facilities usually located near kids parks. So that the kids play, and the adults can do their thing at the same time in visual range.

We're building future generations that won't be able to go outside or tolerate any weather or changes in temperature. I think since Malls this has been an escalating trend.

I remember our community parks and rec facility had an outdoor rink, outdoor pool, a small skate shack and a one room rec facility. Everything else they had was just equipment for outdoor activities. There was no such thing then as indoor rec facilities. I think the first was YMCA downtown. Then a facility at Rundle Park that was funded largely through several telethons.

Couldn't agree more. Would like to see more free outdoor gyms (or even just bars of various heights, rings, etc.). There is one in my city that I ride my bike to, do some stuff, lay in the park with my shirt off for 30 minutes, then finish the bike ride. btw I saw quite a lot in China which were used a lot by elderly people.

As I got accustomed to Germany it's kind of funny when American/Canadians cry about lack of AC. Yeah it's summer, it gets hot. No one healthy is dying in 35 Celsius. A lot of the buildings are much older and thermally inefficient in Europe. Many are also actually colder inside with mild winter than Edmonton buildings in extreme winter. Well since it's winter you wear "house shoes", maybe a sweater, take a blanket on the sofa, turn up the heat register in the room you're in while you're in it, or go out and drink hot wine.
There is also the fact that people drive around AB with "I love Oil & Gas" stickers whereas Euro folks are a little more energy conscious. Many people ride bikes, walk or use transit, even though it's hotter and more humid. There are less malls, more "shopping streets". I guess we just sweat. Weird because it's actually not that bad if you rinse off after work, exercising, or otherwise sweating a lot. Sweating is natural when it's hot.

My workplace has no AC for the humans, only the server-room. We have a single shower available for anyone to use.
We had weeks of 30+ and some places pushed over 40 in July. Was about 5 days over 30 in the last ~ 2 weeks.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sort of monsoon season here in thailand and I am staying tent

Attachments

• IMG_20190904_112242.jpg
    IMG_20190904_112242.jpg
    662.5 KB · Views: 4

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ironically I'm in Millwoods and problems were non existent all summer.

This being the neighborhood that is supposed to have the bad rep, and yet has no problems to speak of in the Southeast portion.

The only disruption all summer is blasted Telus installing all the fibre optic cables and ripping things up and waking people up all summer doing that. Just incredible with modern technology, ability to burrow lines underground, and all the equipment they have that the work is as pedestrian as to take several months doing it.

It wouldn't take much longer to ditch dig it all by hand and spade, somebodies getting paid..
I was surprised this year with this as well. Bus stop was smashed once that I saw, but it was also smashed 3x last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad