OT: Weather

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I assume this is aimed at the guy I quoted and not me.

From about April 15th to about October 15th I have no real problem with Alberta weather. Between october 16th to april 14th the weather can be less then favourable.

I hate snow and when the weather goes below -10 I get grumpy.

No problem with rain or harsh winds. I actually like that weather.

On the flipside I will be in thailand for all of september where it will be about +30 to + 40 everyday
Definitely not aimed at you.

Captain Pilsner

Sep 1, 2005
you don't miss last August when it was basically smokey the whole month due to wildfires? ;)

Depends on how you spend your time in the few months we can get outdoors. I boat and golf, and thus would prefer smoke over rain any day - because at least I can still get out and do what I enjoy in the summer!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is 1 reason I moved from Alberta. It's been an amazing summer in Europe. A few >40 days were uncomfortable for, but otherwise amazing. Basically 22-25 everyday.

How rude. Dont you know that you arent allowed to post that you are happier with the weather somewhere else?
Some people find it to be very upsetting. ;)

Last edited:

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
How rude. Dont you know that you arent allowed to post that you are happier with the weather somewhere else?
Some people find it to be very upsetting. ;)
This summer has been super nice. Last summer was extremely dry in Europe.
For me nothing beats a warm and dry Prairie Indian summer or going for a walk on a crisp winter day after a fresh snowfall with a big blue sky. But... overall conditions are much milder and human-friendly here. The air never hurts your face. :laugh:

And anyways I was always kind of proud of myself when talking to outsiders about AB weather. I recently read this: "Canadians are often very proud of their natural surroundings, Canadian weather and their heartiness with respect to enduring the weather."
source: https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/ci-ic_ca.aspx?lang=eng

If someone gets rustled talking about weather in an OT thread on a hockey message board... no comment. :popcorn:

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The weather is rain. The weather is wet.

At no point this year have farmers fields been dry. A somewhat rare problem to have on the usually parched prairies.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
People in places like Hawaii never talk about the weather. That's because it's the same nearly every day - perfect.

A perfect slacker job would be weather forecaster in Hawaii.

Forecast Temps for all week (or all year) at 28C, with occasional isolated showers, and steady slight trade winds. Rinse, lather, copy paste repeat.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Usually the reason I'm complaining about the weather in Edmonton in August is because it's unbearably hot.

I'm actually fine with colder than seasonal average and overcast.

A typical old person curmudgeon comment from me but wtf is it with Restaurants and air conditioning? Do I need to break out the winter wear because a restaurant typically has their air conditioning blasting all the time and even on cold days where people come out of the cold, into the cold... 55 degrees indoors is not comfortable.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A typical old person curmudgeon comment from me but wtf is it with Restaurants and air conditioning? Do I need to break out the winter wear because a restaurant typically has their air conditioning blasting all the time and even on cold days where people come out of the cold, into the cold... 55 degrees indoors is not comfortable.
They want to keep you awake so you'll eat and drink more.:laugh:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

As someone who comfortably sleeps in the middle of winter with the windows open, I’m probably not the one to answer this

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They want to keep you awake so you'll eat and drink more.:laugh:

heh

I eat as quickly as possible and jump out of the indoor freezer as quickly as possible. I find it very strange in Canada that air conditioning, in a cold climate, is such a hot seller, excuse pun.

I would NEVER spend a dime on an air conditioner and rarely even use it in the vehicle. If they didn't come as stock I wouldn't order it. More trouble than worth and bad for the environment.

If I lived on the equator maybe I would appreciate air conditioning ever being a blessing. It rarely ever gets warm enough here in Edmonton to be uncomfortable, and never gets hot enough to be a health concern.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
lol at going into a weather thread to complain about people complaining about weather

This summer has been ass, but I think everyone is forgetting how good spring was (from the third week of February to like, the third week of April, I think it snowed like three times) because of the snow in May and the smoke shortly after and into (what would have otherwise been a very hot) June.

But since the smoke cleared up, I don't think we've gone 48 hours without some sort of rainfall. I've been out of town here and there so maybe that isn't fully true, but it's been weird.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
lol at going into a weather thread to complain about people complaining about weather

This summer has been ass, but I think everyone is forgetting how good spring was (from the third week of February to like, the third week of April, I think it snowed like three times) because of the snow in May and the smoke shortly after and into (what would have otherwise been a very hot) June.

But since the smoke cleared up, I don't think we've gone 48 hours without some sort of rainfall. I've been out of town here and there so maybe that isn't fully true, but it's been weird.

In Edmonton it started snowing in September of 2018 and kept up in October. Meaning that the Winter seemed pretty long and the last summer pretty pathetic. Add up the August month of smoke and we had not much good weather last summer.

This year its been rain and mosquitoes. in no particular order, with a side order of special smoke from mega fires this spring.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
In Edmonton it started snowing in September of 2018 and kept up in October. Meaning that the Winter seemed pretty long and the last summer pretty pathetic. Add up the August month of smoke and we had not much good weather last summer.

This year its been rain and mosquitoes. in no particular order, with a side order of special smoke from mega fires this spring.

Yeah last August was awful across the province. Still doesn't change that we actually got a decent break in March from the winter, but you're right; it started early and didn't fully clear up until late, sandwiched between two months of smoke.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Usually the reason I'm complaining about the weather in Edmonton in August is because it's unbearably hot.

I'm actually fine with colder than seasonal average and overcast.
I have never seen Edmonton be unbearably hot. Ever. Did I miss this? Was it one day? It was probably just one day like 30 years ago.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have never seen Edmonton be unbearably hot. Ever. Did I miss this? Was it one day? It was probably just one day like 30 years ago.

In any of our lifetimes the hottest Edmonton day was 34C, hardly unbearably hot.

The hottest ever temp was 37.2C in Edmonton in 1937.

Theres no temp that's ever recorded in Edmonton that has been unbearable. Uncomfortable maybe.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
In any of our lifetimes the hottest Edmonton day was 34C, hardly unbearably hot.

The hottest ever temp was 37.2C in Edmonton in 1937.

Theres no temp that's ever recorded in Edmonton that has been unbearable. Uncomfortable maybe.

I run really hot, anything over 26-28 degrees is too much for me.

Reactions: rboomercat90

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You need a new thermostat. ;)

jk aside good thing you live in this latitude.

The only place I’ve ever been where it was consistently pretty warm and I was comfortable was Maui - a near constant ocean breeze was heavenly. But when people talk about golfing in 35+ degree weather in places like Phoenix or Vegas? f*** that. If I make a lifetime of poor decisions that’s what’s waiting for me after.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad