OT: Weather

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
That SUCKS. This is why I don't have AMA, anytime that I would need to use it there's a huge waitlist. Last year my wife went in the ditch going to work and AMA was a 4 hour wait. So I went out there with my small car, bag of sand, and shovel and managed to get her out. It was probably only -15.. I could not even imaging having to do all that with the weather this week. I'm even thinking about calling in sick to my office job tomorrow lol.
I don’t think that’s exclusive to AMA. If you tried to call ANY towing company in weather like this you’d be looking at a long wait.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t think that’s exclusive to AMA. If you tried to call ANY towing company in weather like this you’d be looking at a long wait.

Of course. If AMA trucks are all tied up they outsource to several other tow operators. I've called AMA before and had other trucks arrive. They explain how they are contracted. It isn't that AMA is limited, its that the net supply of tow trucks in vicinity is maxed out. Now people can bitch about that all day I guess and complain but understand that its very hard in Alberta to have people even agree to take on the appreciable risk of being tow truck drivers. Many people doing this are struck and injured and killed in duty. Due to this jurisdiction having absolutely bad drivers that do not respect flashing lights, emergency vehicles, construction crews etc.

Many times in the middle of a storm tow truck drivers simply refuse to go out until sanding trucks arrive and or a cordon of police or emergency vehicles can be arranged to provide some safety. Often times an ambulance or firetruck is just there primarily to provide extra flashing lights and some bit of protection for the tow truck driver and or stranded vehicle and passengers not to be hit.

This is some of the backdrop to understand when wondering why calls don't get responded to right away and its why everybody should have emergency kits, provisions and extra blankets and coats in their vehicle. NEVER leave the city without a full tank of gas. Never. You never know when you're going to need it to keep your vehicle warm enough to save your life.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Pissing rain in Krabi Thailand and I love.

I have bad sun burn and the rain is helping

Everyone else is bundled up but I am running around shirtless in the rain
Rainy weather in Thailand is great! It's made for sitting under a corrugated tin roof listening to the rain-drops, and drinking cold beer while checking out the local talent.

Last edited:

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Honestly, thank Christ for my cough acting up today and being able to call in to work. Walking from the bus stop to work yesterday was one of the worst experiences of my life, I did not want to do it again today.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Honestly, thank Christ for my cough acting up today and being able to call in to work. Walking from the bus stop to work yesterday was one of the worst experiences of my life, I did not want to do it again today.
I take the train from my office and walk about 10 blocks from there to my apartment. When it comes to a commute, I have nothing to complain about.

10 blocks in this, and I'm swearing the entire f***ing time.

Reactions: Peanut Butter

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
So I bought a truck a year and half ago. On sunday i finally feel that i need to plug it in. I take the cap off the block heater plug for the very 1st time ever and there are no prongs. :skeptic:

So i have to take it into the dealer tomorrow.

I had to go out today and luckily the truck seems beefy enough and did start.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
So I bought a truck a year and half ago. On sunday i finally feel that i need to plug it in. I take the cap off the block heater plug for the very 1st time ever and there are no prongs. :skeptic:

You'd have bigger problems if your 1.5 year old truck (assuming new) didn't start without being plugged in IMO.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015

I was outside working on a block heater for 2 hours yesterday. It was ugly - especially the freezing hands and feet. I was wearing street shoes and have poor circulation in my feet as I broke both feet 5 months ago. Being somewhere warmer did cross my mind.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
What sucks if all these students that had to go write their English and Social diplomas the last two day. I managed to get all of my students in, but some had to go to their 2nd or 3rd plans after the buses were canceled and their own vehicles wouldn't start.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

I had a new truck a few years ago and went into the second winter before I tried to plug it in one night and didn't realize it didn't have a block heater in it.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
-34 in Saskatoon (actual temp)

But the dew point is -38 so no pesky frost lol

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
These last few nights of working out in -50 have really made me count down the days until I am gone on vacation in March

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Time to get the tequila and lawnchairs out..;)

jk aside I do love that after a real cold snap. That suddenly freezing temps feel quite temperate. Especially with some sunshine involved.

I always see the odd weirdos with shorts and a hoodie during those warm ups. Like hey, minus 10, time to dig out my sandals.

I guess its better to pretend its spring at that point then having a horrible realization that we have over 60+ days of this crap left. We are Oiler fans, we are great at being delusional.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I always see the odd weirdos with shorts and a hoodie during those warm ups. Like hey, minus 10, time to dig out my sandals.

I guess its better to pretend its spring at that point then having a horrible realization that we have over 60+ days of this crap left. We are Oiler fans, we are great at being delusional.

Haha you just described me. :laugh:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You'd have bigger problems if your 1.5 year old truck (assuming new) didn't start without being plugged in IMO.

Almost did not start this am. Once y0u get to -40 things like the battery can freeze.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
How much gas does a car use if you just leave it running all night? Anyone know?

Sounds like an experiment you should try. Do you have an attached garage?

Make sure the door to the house is closed. Or I guess you could run the car on the street.

EDIT 1: About 1.5 to 2 litres per hour. 9 hours would be about 12-18 litres.

EDIT 2: It might be closer to 2 - 2.5 litres per hour.

Reactions: RalphKing

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
Sounds like an experiment you should try. Do you have an attached garage?

Make sure the door to the house is closed. Or I guess you could run the car on the street.
I have a detached garage so I think im going to just do it and fill up a jerrycan if all the gas is gone come morning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad