OT: Weather

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
There's been other past years in Edmonton that have been as bad or worse besides this summer.

1987-Black Friday
1989-West end struck by F1 Tornado
1990-Cold summer with high amount of rain
1993-Damaging hailstorm from hailstones between golfball and tennis ball. F3 tornado touched down on same day east of the city between Edmonton and Lloydminster.
1996-Tornado warning for city that included a small tornado touching down on the outskirts.
1999-One of the coldest summers in history in the Edmonton region
2004-Disaster of summer with the WEM evacuation due to a deluge of rainfall.
2011-Cold summer with more rain than normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: rboomercat90

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Well I've been in Ottawa all summer, and man I hate the humidity. Although it sounds like you guys have had it worse this year in Edmonton.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Only watered my lawn once this year, somewhere in the spring after patching stuff up with grass seed. That's one nice thing about this :) SW Edmonton has been pretty lucky this year, with most of the bad stuff this year going around it (just jinxed myself, I know).

The picking mushrooms so the dogs can't get a chance to chow down is definitely annoying though.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I have about 10 golf rain checks so far this year. What a crappy spring/summer so far, and it looks like more of it on the way. Of course, preceded by the coldest February I can remember and a fall that seemed like winter. Not too long ago, people were saying it was so dry we were going to burn like it was hell. Now, the animals are pairing up, waiting to be saved.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I have about 10 golf rain checks so far this year. What a crappy spring/summer so far, and it looks like more of it on the way. Of course, preceded by the coldest February I can remember and a fall that seemed like winter. Not too long ago, people were saying it was so dry we were going to burn like it was hell. Now, the animals are pairing up, waiting to be saved.
you don't miss last August when it was basically smokey the whole month due to wildfires? ;)

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

That's a heck of a good idea. It's gorgeous out right now.

Off to the golf course!

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City

Truth be told, this past February was the coldest February since 1979.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Well the other big 'bonus' to all the rain and muggy conditions and amazing plant and grass growth is the massive mosquito populations right now. They are just nasty in my back yard right now.

BamaOil

Nov 18, 2018
It's actually been not too bad down here in 'Bama. It's been hanging around 90F/32C every day, with humidity around 50-65% instead of the usual 90%+. Still can't spend more than a minute outside without getting destroyed by mosquitoes, but I live in a hellhole so whatever, that will never change. I'd prefer Halifax weather right now for sure, but I'll take what I can get.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Seems to be a lot of over reaction to whatever the weather is these days.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You do realize it was the wettest July in about half a decade?
And that’s supposed to mean something? If you’re old enough, you can remember wetter July’s or colder February’s or milder winters or drier summers. You get my point? We don’t get the same weather every year and we never have. Farmers Almanac was popular forever just because they tried to predict the next years weather. There’s just a lot more over reaction to whatever we are getting these days.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
And that’s supposed to mean something? If you’re old enough, you can remember wetter July’s or colder February’s or milder winters or drier summers. You get my point? We don’t get the same weather every year and we never have. Farmers Almanac was popular forever just because they tried to predict the next years weather. There’s just a lot more over reaction to whatever we are getting these days.
July was the wettest in 40 years. And dependent on how the weather office's final data shakes out , it could be the most rainy days in July, in recorded history. I think that does carry some weight.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
There is ALWAYS over reaction to weather in this neck of the woods.:D Our weather tends to be extreme, and it's what we do in Alberta. Part of our fabric.
People complaining about the weather has been going on forever. People claiming the sky is falling because of the weather is a newer phenomena.

Reactions: guymez

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
This is 1 reason I moved from Alberta. It's been an amazing summer in Europe. A few >40 days were uncomfortable for, but otherwise amazing. Basically 22-25 everyday.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Always amazes me how some people feel the need to tell others how it was a great idea to move away from the crappy place where those others still live.

To each their own I guess.

I assume this is aimed at the guy I quoted and not me.

From about April 15th to about October 15th I have no real problem with Alberta weather. Between october 16th to april 14th the weather can be less then favourable.

I hate snow and when the weather goes below -10 I get grumpy.

No problem with rain or harsh winds. I actually like that weather.

On the flipside I will be in thailand for all of september where it will be about +30 to + 40 everyday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad