OT: Weather

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The only place I’ve ever been where it was consistently pretty warm and I was comfortable was Maui - a near constant ocean breeze was heavenly. But when people talk about golfing in 35+ degree weather in places like Phoenix or Vegas? **** that. If I make a lifetime of poor decisions that’s what’s waiting for me after.

heh,

Mostly I agree, the bolded is hilarious, and yes, I comprehend.

But golfing itself was invented in Hell, wasn't it?

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Luckily the Eskimos game is in Toronto tonite, just assuming the weather there is way nicer than it is here today...yikes!

And mr drivesaitl, wearing mesh tank tops in restaurants might be a great way to show off your tattoos but likely results in you feeling cold, perhaps try a long sleeve shirt or a cardigan. :sarcasm:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Luckily the Eskimos game is in Toronto tonite, just assuming the weather there is way nicer than it is here today...yikes!

And mr drivesaitl, wearing mesh tank tops in restaurants might be a great way to show off your tattoos but likely results in you feeling cold, perhaps try a long sleeve shirt or a cardigan. :sarcasm:

dammit I'm outed. you mean I can't keep wearing this on a night out?

Are you a playa hater? ;)

7543-2-zoomin.jpg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
lol at going into a weather thread to complain about people complaining about weather

This summer has been ass, but I think everyone is forgetting how good spring was (from the third week of February to like, the third week of April, I think it snowed like three times) because of the snow in May and the smoke shortly after and into (what would have otherwise been a very hot) June.

But since the smoke cleared up, I don't think we've gone 48 hours without some sort of rainfall. I've been out of town here and there so maybe that isn't fully true, but it's been weird.

Actually, I believe you are the one might be forgetting that part of the year. The entire month of February was arse, with temps repeatedly well below normals.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
In Edmonton it started snowing in September of 2018 and kept up in October. Meaning that the Winter seemed pretty long and the last summer pretty pathetic. Add up the August month of smoke and we had not much good weather last summer.

This year its been rain and mosquitoes. in no particular order, with a side order of special smoke from mega fires this spring.

The golf courses got killed because of those 2 months.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
According to weather stats, July 1901 holds the record for the most rain in the city of Edmonton.

July 2019-163.4 mm
July 1901-282.7 mm

1901 was labelled a disaster year in Edmonton due to widespread flooding.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
July 1986 also had a disaster of a July due to the river overflowing from an extreme amount of rainfall:

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1002897987786

One of the worst cases of flooding in Edmonton history.

Having experienced the worst the weather has to offer in Alberta over the past decades has convinced me to not complain when I see what our neighbors to the south are up against in the summer:

I would gladly have another summer like 2019 than this in the video occurring instead.

over 150 people died in this storm.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
People in places like Hawaii never talk about the weather. That's because it's the same nearly every day - perfect.

It's been a very warm summer here especially on Maui, historically warm with records being broken or tied almost daily this summer. When you have to work outside in the heat all day it gets talked about! On top of that we have a d-bag arsonist lighting fires since everything has dried out in the heat.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
heh

I eat as quickly as possible and jump out of the indoor freezer as quickly as possible. I find it very strange in Canada that air conditioning, in a cold climate, is such a hot seller, excuse pun.

I would NEVER spend a dime on an air conditioner and rarely even use it in the vehicle. If they didn't come as stock I wouldn't order it. More trouble than worth and bad for the environment.

If I lived on the equator maybe I would appreciate air conditioning ever being a blessing. It rarely ever gets warm enough here in Edmonton to be uncomfortable, and never gets hot enough to be a health concern.
It is odd for sure, I haven't seen a number for Canada but in the US 90% of households have AC. That is insane, in Europe it's like 5%. Seems like someone has done a good job selling these, because I just can't imagine that even half of those households actually need it.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
It's been a very warm summer here especially on Maui, historically warm with records being broken or tied almost daily this summer. When you have to work outside in the heat all day it gets talked about! On top of that we have a d-bag arsonist lighting fires since everything has dried out in the heat.

I want to drive my fist through every arsonist's face.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
July 1986 also had a disaster of a July due to the river overflowing from an extreme amount of rainfall:

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1002897987786

One of the worst cases of flooding in Edmonton history.
That was the wettest summer I remember. On top of the rainfall, the mountain runoff was late that year and the river didn’t crest in Edmonton until late in July. If I remember right they had to delay the sour dough raft race by a week or two because of the river level. Awful flooding in the river valley in the areas near downtown especially.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Okay, okay, prior to this summer!

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It is odd for sure, I haven't seen a number for Canada but in the US 90% of households have AC. That is insane, in Europe it's like 5%. Seems like someone has done a good job selling these, because I just can't imagine that even half of those households actually need it.

Personally I don't have one yet, but I'm thinking about getting a portable one as I like it cool when I sleep. The 300 bucks might be worth it

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I’m still not sure I have any sympathy for you Bryan (well, arsonist aside) lol

Wow. That’s nuts. I’m sure the southern states would skew the numbers fairly high, but that still seems excessive. I’d imagine we’ve got to be down in the like sun 10% range as well

I’ve got one. Keep in mind that it adds about $50 a month to your power bill when you’re using it.

We only need it for like 2 weeks out of the year though, so that’s not too bad

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We've had A/C for about 20 years, and you'd be surprised how much it gets used. Comes on as needed all the way from May till end of September. This year, not so much.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We've had A/C for about 20 years, and you'd be surprised how much it gets used. Comes on as needed all the way from May till end of September. This year, not so much.
There isn't 5 days where our house temp gets at all uncomfortable, without air conditioning, and even at that the top inside temp ever reached is 27C and only for a short while.

Anytime we're feeling uncomfortable, at all, just go down to the huge downstairs rec room, in natural basement cool, and all is good. NEVER gets hot there.

I wonder how many houses these days are not properly insulated or manufactured. We have no problem ever living without air conditioning. This is Edmonton. What do people consider too hot?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
There isn't 5 days where our house temp gets at all uncomfortable, without air conditioning, and even at that the top inside temp ever reached is 27C and only for a short while.

Anytime we're feeling uncomfortable, at all, just go down to the huge downstairs rec room, in natural basement cool, and all is good. NEVER gets hot there.

I wonder how many houses these days are not properly insulated or manufactured. We have no problem ever living without air conditioning. This is Edmonton. What do people consider too hot?

Our home is well built, about 25 years old, but the bedrooms are on the top floor. I like to have it cool at night to get a good sleep, and when you have the sun beating down on your home for 14-18 hours a day in the summer, even proper insulation can't do it all. No need for us to head down to a lower floor rec room for relief.;)

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I used to have a portable unit in my bedroom but the rest of the house was to hot for my dogs. I ended up spending 6,000 on central air just so my dogs would be comfortable....

Reactions: Beerfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad