Pre-Game Talk: WCSF's Round 2) Kings#5 vs. Sharks#6 Discussion, Injury Updates, etc.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
I suspect that with the change of opponents, the more talented Kings lines (first line) should appear more, but our Defense will look a bit softer.

The Sharks have some talented offense but their D and forecheck are not to the level of the Blues.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
They have great depth and are on a crazy tear. Gonna be a hard series, the Sharks are to the Kings kind of what the Kings are to the Blues. Would be nice to slay that dragon.

foteljceljn

May 13, 2013
I've seen it mentioned quite a few times that the Kings will grind the Sharks down. But looking at the stats, SJS have put up with 42 hits against/game in their first three games, which is more than Kings average vs. the Blues (or Blues average against us). Canucks still averaged 36.5 hits/game at the end of the series. Didn't really help them that much.

Has anyone seen VAN-SJS series? Were there really that many hits thrown (by the 'nucks, of all teams) or did they also count the warm up ones (like Cruel11 has shown previously upthread)?

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
If Kopitar doesn't produce in Round 2, it's not going to be pretty. The Sharks centers seem to be firing on all cylinders and the first line of the Kings will need to at least nullify the Sharks first line to win this series.

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign
NHL.com said:
NEW YORK -- The 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs Conference Semifinal round starts Tuesday, May 14, with a doubleheader, the National Hockey League announced today. Game 1 in the Eastern Conference Semifinal series between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Ottawa Senators will be played at 7:30 p.m. ET at CONSOL Energy Center in Pittsburgh and the Western Conference Semifinal between the Los Angeles Kings and San Jose Sharks will start at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles.

Additionally, Game 1 in the series between the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings will be Wednesday, May 15 at 8 p.m. ET at the United Center in Chicago.

The remainder of the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs Conference Semifinals schedule, including dates, times and national television coverage for the entire round, will be released after the conclusion of tonight's games.

The Conference Quarterfinal round of the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs reaches its dramatic conclusion tonight when two Eastern Conference series will be decided in Game 7. The Boston Bruins host the Toronto Maple Leafs at TD Garden (7 p.m., ET, CBC, RDS, CNBC) and the Washington Capitals welcome the New York Rangers to Verizon Center (8 p.m., ET, NBCSN, TSN, RDS2).

It's official: Tuesday start

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I've seen it mentioned quite a few times that the Kings will grind the Sharks down. But looking at the stats, SJS have put up with 42 hits against/game in their first three games, which is more than Kings average vs. the Blues (or Blues average against us). Canucks still averaged 36.5 hits/game at the end of the series. Didn't really help them that much.

Has anyone seen VAN-SJS series? Were there really that many hits thrown (by the 'nucks, of all teams) or did they also count the warm up ones (like Cruel11 has shown previously upthread)?

Their is more to it than hits, it's just being generally physical with them on the forecheck and even while in the defensive zone, ideally without taking penalties, but still.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
Kopitar did play D well, any offense was weak. he looked like he had no jump in his step. The little bit he did get moving before he got the puck he looked ok.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff

They did hit, but we slid off them fairly regularly. We really played the Chicago-like game of playing the skilled game and not getting sucked into their game. This sharks team just isn't incredibly physical, but we're more physical than last year. We're also a lot faster, so the balance of skill, speed, and grit is apparent. Last year it was painfully obvious that grit and grind was what it took to win. I would have never guessed possession teams would have made it this far this season, but it still goes to show how skill can essentially grind down opponents as well.

Here's to a good series!

foteljceljn

May 13, 2013
Their is more to it than hits, it's just being generally physical with them on the forecheck and even while in the defensive zone, ideally without taking penalties, but still.
No doubt, but I was slightly surprised when I checked hits stats for VAN-SJS. Especially since some were saying that our series vs the Blues had the most hits by far.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Kopitar will be key, if he continues to be off his game the Sharks depth at C will make the Kings pay.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff

Their (VAN) definitely gave us fits in our end. If Braun or Irwin are on the ice, you can bet that they're gonna cough up the puck when pressured. What got us through? Support. Our D methodically gets through these turn overs and clears the puck. It's pretty boring to watch, but as a sharks fan I'm happy there's a band aide in our system that accounts for this, and it works. And If we ice, we win faceoffs.

Not gonna be an easy series for either team.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
The big difference for LA will be more time to move the puck. San Jose does not press to the extent of St. Louis. Hoping this will open up room for the Kings offense to round into shape.

The Sharks will be tough, wish we faced the Ducks honestly, go big or go home I guess.

Go Kings Go! One shift at a time.

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal
This should be a great series.
I LOVED seeing Anaheim get bounced by the Wings!
I see the Wings as the team from the West this year. It will be VERY hard for SJ to beat them in the WCF this year.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
This should be a great series.
I LOVED seeing Anaheim get bounced by the Wings!
I see the Wings as the team from the West this year. It will be VERY hard for SJ to beat them in the WCF this year.

36515827.jpg

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Stats were definitely doctored IMO. I did not feel like the Sharks were physically dominated or pushed around at all in the series.

No shootouts in the playoffs, son.

That's what Canucks fans said. "This team sucks, no shootouts in the playoffs, Nucks in 5" all day long.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
I would imagine he is injured. He injured his knee playing in europe a couple of days before the lockout ended, and probably rushed back, he also seems to have a wrist injury of some sort.
Whether it's wrist, knee, or something else, the bottom line is that Kopitar has been slow, has not had the power in his stride that he normally does, and has not been handling, passing, or shooting the puck as well as he normally does. His performance seems a notch or two lower right across the board.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Stats were definitely doctored IMO. I did not feel like the Sharks were physically dominated or pushed around at all in the series.

Even so, I don't feel like the Kings have ever physically dominated the Sharks. Maybe outhit, but the Sharks have so many big dudes they just absorbed the contact and kept coming.

Do you guys think Kopitar is injured or slumping?

I think he's noticeably injured. You can see a limp in his stride when he DOES get open ice, but as a Sharks fan, you've seen his board work; he's usually great there as he's strong on the puck and hard to wrestle. Right now, he goes down easy, is falling all over the place, and struggles just to hold the puck. It's a real bummer :(

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Whether it's wrist, knee, or something else, the bottom line is that Kopitar has been slow, has not had the power in his stride that he normally does, and has not been handling, passing, or shooting the puck as well as he normally does. His performance seems a notch or two lower right across the board.

That's fair, Thornton looks noticeably injured too. Weak(er) on the puck, soft passes, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad