Pre-Game Talk: WCSF's Round 2) Kings#5 vs. Sharks#6 Discussion, Injury Updates, etc.

Ron*

Schedule has been announced:

schedulevw.jpg

Ron*

Much has been made on Twitter that none of the SJS-LAK series made the parent network, NBC.

One of the teams is the defending Stanley Cup champions; however, some are claiming its all about money.

Frozen Royalty ‏@frozenroyalty
@RonM11 That’s irrelevant to the league and TV executives. It’s all about ratings and $$$.

Ron*

Full Kings schedule from LAKingsInsider.com:

Game 1, San Jose at Los Angeles: Tuesday, May 14, 7:00 pm
Game 2, San Jose at Los Angeles: Thursday, May 16, 7:00 pm
Game 3, Los Angeles at San Jose: Saturday, May 18, 6:00 pm
Game 4, Los Angeles at San Jose: Tuesday, May 21, 7:00 pm
Game 5, San Jose at Los Angeles: Thursday, May 23, 7:30 pm*
Game 6, Los Angeles at San Jose: Sunday, May 26, TBD*
Game 7, San Jose at Los Angeles: Tuesday, May 28, TBD*
*if necessary. All times PT.

Games 1-5 will be broadcast nationally on NBC Sports Network. National broadcast information for Games 6 and 7, if necessary, will be determined at a later date. Similar to last year, FOX Sports West will broadcast a postgame show. In Canada, all games will be broadcast on TSN.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/05/13/kings-sharks-semifinals-schedule-announced/

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I like Toffoli in the lineup against the Sharks. I don't think the Sharks are as deep up front as the Kings are, and Toffoli on the 4th line forces the Sharks to pay attention to that line.

I honestly think it's the opposite. I am not to thrilled with the production up front for the Kings thus far:

1 goal for Kopitar and 1 goal Brown...and ZERO goals from: Richards, Stoll, Lewis,
King, Clifford, Nolan, Fraser, and Richardson.

We cannot count on Carter to score half the goals up front and Williams and Penner
elevating their games. We must get more production. But, Hell Yes, I love Toffoli and think he should be with Richards and Carter and move King down to line 4. King won't hurt you down there and looked better the last 2 games, BUT, Toffoli's talent must be utilized and he's played with them before. We need goals.

dogyekcoh*

When Greener is ready to go; Do you think DS will ease him in using the 7Dmen method to get him into game shape and speed? I would also steal a page from the Sharks and have Muzzin playing forward and D when/where ever we need him during the game. This way we can use Greener on PK and use Muzzin on PP. Muzzin can skates and we can use that hard shot of his in the offensive zone.
I realized doing this we will need to sit a forward on the 4h line. I would sit Nolan if Clifford is back otherwise it will be Toffoli.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Much has been made on Twitter that none of the SJS-LAK series made the parent network, NBC.

One of the teams is the defending Stanley Cup champions; however, some are claiming its all about money.

meh - as problems go, this isn't a bad one to have. I'm fine with NBCSN.

For this "network treatment" to ever change, the Kings need to start going deep into the playoffs for an extended period of time, win a few more Cups, so other fans can either love or hate them more, which all helps ratings. (I prefer hate)

Yes, a few more Cups!! :stanley:

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
NO ONE should be griping about not being on NBC. that would have been a 9:30AM local time start if it happened. No thanks. NBCSN and evening games are fine.

Canada peeps hit the jackpot. Kings/Sharks series will be on TSN and Cuthbert/Ferraro are calling it. Best tandem in Canada.

No word yet on announcers for NBCSN.

Ron*

NO ONE should be griping about not being on NBC. that would have been a 9:30AM local time start if it happened. No thanks. NBCSN and evening games are fine.

Canada peeps hit the jackpot. Kings/Sharks series will be on TSN and Cuthbert/Ferraro are calling it. Best tandem in Canada.

I don't think so. You are saying 9:30 a.m. local time when both teams are in the Pacific Time Zone? That would mean a 9:30 a.m. game start.

When has that ever happened?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't think so. You are saying 9:30 a.m. local time when both teams are in the Pacific Time Zone? That would mean a 9:30 a.m. game start.

They have the Preakness Stakes scheduled for this upcoming Saturday. It would have to be an 11 or 11:30AM start at the absolute latest, then there's the possibility the game could get booted off NBC if it went to OT. That would be brutal.

Now they could have scheduled us for Sunday, but forget that. I don't want to wait all the way until Sunday for Game 3, and they wouldn't pass up NY/Boston anyway.

Ron*

They have the Preakness Stakes scheduled for this upcoming Saturday. It would have to be an 11 or 11:30AM start at the absolute latest, then there's the possibility the game could get booted if it went to OT. That would be brutal.

Now they could have scheduled us for Sunday, but forget that. I don't want to wait all the way until Sunday for Game 3, and they wouldn't pass up NY/Boston anyway.

Well it doesn't matter anyway since its not scheduled on NBC, but I am going to disagree that they are going to get fans up that early to go to a game. I have never heard of it going that early.

The earliest I have ever seen is 12:00 noon. Someone correct me if they know of earlier games.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Well it doesn't matter anyway since its not scheduled on NBC, but I am going to disagree that they are going to get fans up that early to go to a game. I have never heard of it going that early.

The earliest I have ever seen is 12:00 noon. Someone correct me if they know of earlier games.

This year, Chicago played the Blues in St. Louis on NBC at 11:30AM.

KingsCorona

Dec 18, 2009
Key to this series will likely be whether or not the Kings get the puck deep and establish a forecheck, and slowing down the Sharks' transition game through the neutral zone.

This is ALWAYS the key, IMO, at least with this team. Whenever it looks like the Kings are getting handled, it is almost invariably when they aren't putting on forecheck pressure and are tentative or defensive in the neutral zone instead of skating quickly, aggressively, and decisively to pucks and passing lanes. When they DO do those things, they usually dominate. They've been the most successful when the Kings D has started well outside their own blue line.

KingsCorona

Dec 18, 2009
I like Toffoli in the lineup against the Sharks. I don't think the Sharks are as deep up front as the Kings are, and Toffoli on the 4th line forces the Sharks to pay attention to that line.

Absolutely. He is a super-skilled kid, and his emergence really gives us a sort of hidden secret weapon. He is, frankly, way too skilled and dangerous a sniper for a 4th line. Yet there he is.

KingsCorona

Dec 18, 2009
I honestly think it's the opposite. I am not to thrilled with the production up front for the Kings thus far
Hell Yes, I love Toffoli and think he should be with Richards and Carter and move King down to line 4.

I have to say, I didn't like the balance of the 2nd line with TT and Carts playing together. I think Toffoli has been great on the 4th line, which looked really dangerous several times against StL, and I'd be fine with keeping him there. If you must move him up to the Top 6, I'd prefer maybe moving Williams to King's place and Toffoli to Williams' spot on the 1st line.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa

Respectfully disagree. Cuthbert is solid, Ferraro is a piece of ****. Especially when the Kings play, he does nothing but bash them. Even worse is Gord Miller and Ferraro. Mike Johnson between the benches is solid, I'd much rather listen to his un-biased comments than Ray Ferraro. To each his own though.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I'm just happy it's on TSN so if the early game goes to OT they would just put SJ/LA on TSN2 so atleast i'm not at the mercy of CBC this round. Missed most of Game 1 and part of Game 5 because of OT games in the CHI/MIN and TOR/BOS series.

Like Cuthbert, do not like Miller. Suppose Ferraro is okay but really don't pay much attention to him anyhow, take his comments with a grain of salt.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA

With the horsies running and the possibility of endless OT, it would have had to be a super-early start. Typically NBC wants 12:30PM EDT starts when it's against the triple crown races.

Respectfully disagree. Cuthbert is solid, Ferraro is a piece of ****. Especially when the Kings play, he does nothing but bash them. Even worse is Gord Miller and Ferraro. Mike Johnson between the benches is solid, I'd much rather listen to his un-biased comments than Ray Ferraro. To each his own though.

You can even disrespectfully disagree :). Cuthbert and Ferraro called all of last year's St. Louis series and the first part of the Phoenix series before CBC picked it up, and I thought Ferraro was very fair (I was able to watch their archived telecast on GameCenter.) He was certainly blunt... when the Kings weren't good, he wasn't shy about saying it (same for the opposing team). I prefer that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: