Pre-Game Talk: WCQF: Los Angeles Kings @ Edmonton Oilers

Who will win the series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I couldn't astand Jack when he initially replaced Rod. Never really cared for him on the radio, but once he did PBP on TV, the switch flipped for me, and I instantly enjoyed his work. I consider myself an introvert and a thinker, so there goes that theory. ;) But seriously, too each his own. I find that Jack and Louie have great chemistry together, and I don't mind Jaclk's little stories. Seems like a decent guy as well. When Singh does the PBP, it actually ruins the game for me. It's sad that as excited as I am for these playoffs, the fact that he is doing the PBP is going to diminish my excitement a notch. Nothing personal, he's just bad at his job.
Somehow that worm never turned for me. Can't stand his voice, and then that he's loud so much of the time and not even calling the game. I mean he does stream of consciousness one minute stories on something during the play. I can't even understand much of what he's saying.

Just from reading through though it seems like several posters disliked Michaels on radio, because he doesn't call the PBP, but got over that once he got to TV as you could just watch the play. I get it, but that doesn't make him good, and from somebody that has ADHD when Michaels starts screeching on about something I find it very distracting, and I often have to play the part back to see whats happening on ice. I listen to the audio loud (just to get some of the rink sounds) and so when he starts yellign and screaming its hard not to notice..

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Should switch Yamo and Pulju IMO. This should be our lineup heading into Game 1:

Kane - McDavid - Yamamoto
Hyman - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Foegele - RNH - Ryan
McLeod - Kassian

Nurse - Ceci
Keith - Bouchard
Kulak - Barrie
Russell

Smith
Agreed with this 2nd line is a mismatch. Drai has size on any of the Kings defenders but Yama gets owned in a lot of places. Pulju should be there around the net to crash and create room for Drai and Hyman. Yams won't do much there and appears to work better playing on a line with McD and Kane who can work off each other and with Yama getting spare change.

ps I don't like our 4th line being shorthanded all the time..;)

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
the-big-short-jacked.gif

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Get ready to have a meltdown. I can just hear his musical ejaculations now. When the Kings score: "Aaaaaaaddrrrrrriaaan Kempeeeee!" versus when the Oilers score: "McDavid shoots...uh, he scores."

For real. And then the rest of the time he has the cadence and timbre of someone reading ikea instructions out loud at 3 AM nodding off.

P.S. Its NOT OKAY to have this opinion. Its wrong and we should go spank ourselves.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
As other posters have already mentioned, I'm a bit hesitant with the decision to put Puljujarvi on line 1, especially with his struggles in the last several games. However, at least that gives McDavid some size to work with. Conversely, I can really see Draisaitl struggling with an undersized Yamamoto being unable to withstand the physical rigours of playoff hockey. Hopefully if Puljujarvi neutralizes McDavid or Yamamoto neutralizes Draisaitl, Woodcroft can make the appropriate adjustments on the fly.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
If Harnarayan Singh had Captain Obvious as a colour man I would watch. They would make a great team.

Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Somehow that worm never turned for me. Can't stand his voice, and then that he's loud so much of the time and not even calling the game. I mean he does stream of consciousness one minute stories on something during the play. I can't even understand much of what he's saying.

Just from reading through though it seems like several posters disliked Michaels on radio, because he doesn't call the PBP, but got over that once he got to TV as you could just watch the play. I get it, but that doesn't make him good, and from somebody that has ADHD when Michaels starts screeching on about something I find it very distracting, and I often have to play the part back to see whats happening on ice. I listen to the audio loud (just to get some of the rink sounds) and so when he starts yellign and screaming its hard not to notice..
I think I'm just being conditioned to the carnival barker type of voice and attitude that he brings. Not sure that's a good thing, but whatever, the other options out there aren't exactly intriguing. Still waiting for Louie to club him.:D

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I am hardcore hyped for the playoffs this year. The team is playing a system that doesn't rely on the PP. Big changes from last year and they are playing well. McDrai just needs to show up and take the playoffs hostage like they did in the regular season. I have faith in Smith

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I actually quite enjoy Downtown Edmonton, but otherwise I agree - the electricity of 2017 doesn't really seem to be here (yet). I hope it's not a demographic thing as you think. But if it is we need to figure out how to turn non-hockey fans into hockey fans. The rise of basketball's popularity in Canada really isn't helping either.

I think people are underestimating the impact the current state of the world might be having. In 2017, the world was pretty sleepy and hockey might just have been the most important thing in most oilers fans lives.

Now in 2022, take your pick of other things to take your attention away from hockey. Pandemic, war, inflation, increasing debt costs, increased climate concerns etc.

That said. A BoA in round 2 would be a helluva of way to head into summer!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think people are underestimating the impact the current state of the world might be having. In 2017, the world was pretty sleepy and hockey might just have been the most important thing in most oilers fans lives.

Now in 2022, take your pick of other things to take your attention away from hockey. Pandemic, war, inflation, increasing debt costs, increased climate concerns etc.

That said. A BoA in round 2 would be a helluva of way to head into summer!
You would think that with all of those issues you mentioned these days, that people would be looking high and low for something to distract them and take them elsewhere. I think once the series gets going, things will ramp up.
Post automatically merged:

Gord Miller has the call on ESPN.... but he comes packaged with Cassie Campbell, so it's a "pick your poison" scenario between the two broadcasts. Personally, I'll never pass up a chance at a Gord Miller call on an Oilers game.
Gord would be great. As for Cassie, a muzzle would be great as well.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Did the "Maggie the Monkey" wheel method and ended up with a Tampa vs Edmonton final :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad