F Konsta Helenius - Jukurit, FIN Liiga (2024 Draft)

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Pretty good game by Helenius against GB. Drew 2 penalties. But I expected a bit more against a weak team.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Pretty good game by Helenius against GB. Drew 2 penalties. But I expected a bit more against a weak team.
Looked a bit nervous in the first period, but got better as the game went on.

Is he now the youngest Finn to play in a WHC match? Turned 18 yesterday,

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
His puck carrying is sublime. I would even say that as a center he looked more comfortable than Granlund did.

Reactions: Blueston

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I think he deferred to linemates a bit too much and parked in front of the net constantly, where he's wasted. And Granlund was absolute dog water 5v5.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Not sure a between the legs shot is all that indicative of talent. All these players can do that.

Whenever I see between the legs plays, which are skillful, cool and a correct play in some circumstances............all I can think of Marek Malik's SO goal, in motion.

Doing it while standing still in front of the net is smart, not necessarily a demonstration of high end skill these days when miltiple players can pull of a michigan cleanly.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He definitely isn't Laine (or a top 5 potential pick) that's for sure. He wasn't expected to be that either. The 1st line didn't work and I don't think it is just on Helenius. He wasn't very good today, mostly invisible, so we'll see how the rest of the tournament goes.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
Some highly drafted Finn forwards (thinking Laine, Kakko, Kotkaniemi, and Puljujarvi) have failed to live up their potential recently, is it possible any of this reflects on Helenius as a potential top 10 pick? Obviously a good player/1st round pick, but nothing explodes off the page to me either.

Rantanen would've been last full value top 10 forward pick and that was almost a decade ago. Heiskanen if you include D (but countered by Juolevi/Ristolainen)

Not saying it's fair to draw a line between players because of nationality, I just find it odd as an outsider/non-Finn, please feel free to educate me :laugh:

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He got hurt in the first period and missed some time after that. Came back for a while and disappeared. It's probably about that. But you already knew that, since you watched the game :)
Jalonen did confirm in an interview that he was indeed benched and it wasn't due injury. I watched the game and heard the post-game interview. On the 3rd period anyway.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Jalonen did confirm in an interview that he was indeed benched and it wasn't due injury. I watched the game and heard the post-game interview. On the 3rd period anyway.
Yeah, I saw it and edited my post. Figured it was just Jukurit being his negative self.

I don't think he deserved to get benched, played aight, not any better or worse than Granlund or Puustinen. I liked his forechecking. But Jalonen did also throw Puistola out of the lineup even though he was good in the first game.

Reactions: king89 and FinPanda

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Some highly drafted Finn forwards (thinking Laine, Kakko, Kotkaniemi, and Puljujarvi) have failed to live up their potential recently, is it possible any of this reflects on Helenius as a potential top 10 pick? Obviously a good player/1st round pick, but nothing explodes off the page to me either.

Rantanen would've been last full value top 10 forward pick and that was almost a decade ago. Heiskanen if you include D (but countered by Juolevi/Ristolainen)

Not saying it's fair to draw a line between players because of nationality, I just find it odd as an outsider/non-Finn, please feel free to educate me :laugh:

I think it's less nationality, specifically, and more league-ish, or should I say Liiga.

Full disclosure, I think Liiga hockey is garbage to watch, an eyesore with no rhyme or reason. It's as if Finnish HCs saw a game of the NHL dead puck era and thought that was way too wild for them. Pacing in particular is not up to par with modern NHL.

Having said such, a good scout will still do their best to isolate the player from the situation. If Helenius plays at a far faster pace than Liiga usually does, for instance, then that's a positive sign.

Players that you mentioned, for the most part, are not the most creative and/or quick thinkers. Kakko has excellent board play and puck protection and Laine had terrific hands and shots to work with, but even they never fully became what their production suggest they could become (small * on Laine though).

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Yeah, I saw it and edited my post. Figured it was just Jukurit being his negative self.

I don't think he deserved to get benched, played aight, not any better or worse than Granlund or Puustinen. I liked his forechecking. But Jalonen did also throw Puistola out of the lineup even though he was good in the first game.
Yep. Helenius has not been amazing but I think Puustinen has just been way worse.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
I think it's less nationality, specifically, and more league-ish, or should I say Liiga.

Full disclosure, I think Liiga hockey is garbage to watch, an eyesore with no rhyme or reason. It's as if Finnish HCs saw a game of the NHL dead puck era and thought that was way too wild for them. Pacing in particular is not up to par with modern NHL.

Having said such, a good scout will still do their best to isolate the player from the situation. If Helenius plays at a far faster pace than Liiga usually does, for instance, then that's a positive sign.

Players that you mentioned, for the most part, are not the most creative and/or quick thinkers. Kakko has excellent board play and puck protection and Laine had terrific hands and shots to work with, but even they never fully became what their production suggest they could become (small * on Laine though).
Thank you, league/development is what I meant to call out - this makes more sense!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad