Pre-Game Talk: WCQF: Los Angeles Kings @ Edmonton Oilers

Who will win the series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Some people make multiple different posts in a row usually replying to different people. Pretty sure the forum is just merging those posts together now. My guess at least.
As long as it doesn't merge me with Cloned I'm fine. We don't need no brundle Fly...

edit;

uh oh.....

1651378542401.png

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
As long as it doesn't merge me with Cloned I'm fine. We don't need no brundle Fly...
Jeff Goldblum plus David Cronenberg is like an overdose of WTF.
Post automatically merged:

It gives you messages as well. I was testing it earlier. Messages like "stop doing this", "stop doing this" "this is the way" hehe
I’ll have to remember to space apart my posts in order to maximize the amount of likes I can get :sarcasm:

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
OK. looks like a little traction. But even if 5K sign it I'm not sure what that means. How many people DON'T like Michaels isn't reflected in the tally, and there is no "no I can't f*** stand him" vote there. lol

In anycase CBC and Snet are doing that for me. They can't stand him either. I don't blame them.

No Micheals is like a Reprieve to me. Halleluiah
You're probably in the minority on this one, but for the reasons you quoted I get it. I enjoy the banter for the most part between him and Louie. I like his excitement he brings to the games and general enthusiasm. I don't mind Singh's play by play, but the difference in tone when he's calling for versus against the Oilers is very noticeable.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You're probably in the minority on this one, but for the reasons you quoted I get it. I enjoy the banter for the most part between him and Louie. I like his excitement he brings to the games and general enthusiasm. I don't mind Singh's play by play, but the difference in tone when he's calling for versus against the Oilers is very noticeable.
heh, well theres no real way of assessing what the majority like is. These things don't get voted or down voted. Kevin Quinn was on for years. Did people actually like him? The problem is the broadcaster thinks just on the basis of ratings we do. No, not really, we tune into see the game and tolerate the broadcasts. Give me rink sounds, rink audio, boards crashing and rink tunes and I'm fine. Its HDTV. I can see the names and numbers heh. This is where I'll always mention it but as long ago as 15 yrs ago broadcasters were saying that with technology, streaming, etc, the viewer could pick what feed they want from a menu. I think we'll have a human mission landed on mars before that ever happens...even though they could do it right now.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I would be surprised if Edmonton loses here. It's the Oilers though so who knows.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The single issue I have with Michaels is that he's a very "American" broadcaster. Has the nasally call. Otherwise, I have grown to love the fact that he is genuinely involved and interested in the team.
Agreed. No idea how someone could listen to him for more than five minutes and think he’s ‘local’ or ‘regional’. Most Albertans are nothing like Jack. I don’t care for all facets of Jack’s broadcast, but I’d rather have someone who’s trying ‘too hard’ as opposed to the dull as dishwater alternative. The fact that Oiler fans get stuck with Singh is all the evidence I need to confirm that Sportnet cares more about checking boxes than they do about providing a quality product.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Do they have any Corey's....

"What do we tell Corey?"

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Agreed. No idea how someone could listen to him for more than five minutes and think he’s ‘local’ or ‘regional’. Most Albertans are nothing like Jack. I don’t care for all facets of Jack’s broadcast, but I’d rather have someone who’s trying ‘too hard’ as opposed to the dull as dishwater alternative. The fact that Oiler fans get stuck with Singh is all the evidence I need to confirm that Sportnet cares more about checking boxes than they do about providing a quality product.
The league is the same upon any reflection as you know. So are many things these days. Sign of the times.

Oh and Bill Murray got cancelled this week for being "incorrigible" Gee that used to be his job description in movies. heh

Its a wonder comedy even exists now. got on a sidebar there.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Hardly anybody cares and a chief problem is Michaels himself who is constantly intrusive as a broadcaster. He grates on me like few other announcers. I just want to watch the game and have somebody calling the play. Somebody yelling patented catchphrases is formulaic drivel to me. Some people like it. Not sure what it is. Michaels is the very loud boisterous person at the party who's voice carries over the room because he has to hear himself over everybody else. I'm the one watching the clock to see what time I could leave without it being seen as a diss. lol.

Sum it up. If you're Extroverted I think theres more chance you like Michaels. If Introverted, and a thinker, and analytical about watching games Michaels is constantly distracting. I don't like Singh. But Michaels is the worst I've heard. Michaels is somebody that locals could listen to, oilers fans. I doubt he would translate to anybody else, or a national broadcast. He's so regional cringe. But not even from here. Should be doing Smashville broadcasts or something.
I’m an introvert that is analytical, intuitive, and detail oriented, and I find Jack Michaels > Harnarayan Singh.

Singh is often behind the play, he’ll call a play as “McDavid, Kane, scores!”, when in comparison Michaels will call the same play “McDavid flips it over the defenders stick to Kane, Kane dekes and scores!!!”

I also am prone to headaches from loud talkers, but I don’t get them from Michaels. I can tune out Michaels as needed because of his unique tone, but I cannot tune out monotone voices or out of place singing. As well, Singh screws up often enough that I’m forced to mute him because he contradicts what I’m seeing way too often.

Not to mention Singh comes with Campbell (Flames lover) and Kypreos (Oilers hater).

Michaels, Debrusk, Principe >>> Singh, Campbell, Kypreos. For this introvert anyways ;)

E: I agree with your other statement though. Give me the option to have no broadcasters talking, just hockey sounds. I love this sport.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The last time Singh announced we got swept so I automatically think he's bad luck.
His boring, innaccurate play calling lead to less excitement in the fanbase. Less excitement, leads to less belief, leads to less 6th man effect if you believe in that (I do).

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Have a burger for me at Marco's Famous on 104th and 112th. My last game in Edmonton, my buddy and I had a pregame meal there before watching McDavid's 5point night against the Flyers. Huge portions, and the orange creamsicle shake is killer.
That used to be the place I stop by for donairs.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Hardly anybody cares and a chief problem is Michaels himself who is constantly intrusive as a broadcaster. He grates on me like few other announcers. I just want to watch the game and have somebody calling the play. Somebody yelling patented catchphrases is formulaic drivel to me. Some people like it. Not sure what it is. Michaels is the very loud boisterous person at the party who's voice carries over the room because he has to hear himself over everybody else. I'm the one watching the clock to see what time I could leave without it being seen as a diss. lol.

Sum it up. If you're Extroverted I think theres more chance you like Michaels. If Introverted, and a thinker, and analytical about watching games Michaels is constantly distracting. I don't like Singh. But Michaels is the worst I've heard. Michaels is somebody that locals could listen to, oilers fans. I doubt he would translate to anybody else, or a national broadcast. He's so regional cringe. But not even from here. Should be doing Smashville broadcasts or something.
I couldn't astand Jack when he initially replaced Rod. Never really cared for him on the radio, but once he did PBP on TV, the switch flipped for me, and I instantly enjoyed his work. I consider myself an introvert and a thinker, so there goes that theory. ;) But seriously, too each his own. I find that Jack and Louie have great chemistry together, and I don't mind Jaclk's little stories. Seems like a decent guy as well. When Singh does the PBP, it actually ruins the game for me. It's sad that as excited as I am for these playoffs, the fact that he is doing the PBP is going to diminish my excitement a notch. Nothing personal, he's just bad at his job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad