Pre-Game Talk: WCQF: Los Angeles Kings @ Edmonton Oilers

Who will win the series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Please. How many chances does one guy get? He’s brutal. This is the NHL, not some learn on the fly internship. Why do people keep saying his favorite team is the Oilers? 1) you’d never know it by the games he’s called, and 2) who cares. That should be irrelevant. Just call the game like a professional.
2700 like Kane got and it is working out for the Oilers .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Intuition tells me Woodcroft holds Nurse out for game one. If the Oilers win game one without Nurse I can see him getting rested for game two as well. Regardless of the outcome he'll play game three. Just a hunch. How could anyone know besides Nurse and the doctors... and Elliotte Friedman.
I think that would be a mistake . After the last 2 playoffs we need to get that 1st win . Don't want any doubt setting in .

Reactions: bone

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
"His three sisters were huge Edmonton Oilers fans and they passed along their passion to him. “As soon as he could talk,” says his sister Gurdeep, “he was running around commentating: ‘Gretzky passes to Kurri, passes to Anderson, back to MacTavish.’ "

From this Maclean's article.
I really don't get it why people think he's a flames homer, He's a national broadcaster. He's not going to bad mouth or belittle the teams he's broadcasting. I think he's been nothing short of professional. I personally don't like his style of commentary and much prefer Jack, but at the same time I miss Kevin Quinn. He's mentioned during his first game or so that the Oilers were his favourite team going up when Louie asked him to introduce himself to the fans. Some people are just making up narratives of Oilers hate in their head.

Also Louie is all class as a colour guy. I remember when he started I asked about one his watches on Twitter and we Dm'd a bit about watches.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
I think that would be a mistake . After the last 2 playoffs we need to get that 1st win . Don't want any doubt setting in .
Nurse has rarely been the difference make this if at all This season. I’d rather him miss a game or two and come back 100% than come back because it’s game 1 and cost us a game because he blows. Besides that it’s a huge motivation for the guys behind him to play at the top of their games knowing they have to step up In his absence. Have you missed his absence since he’s been out or when he was out before? I didn’t so much.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I hate being too overconfident especially with the past few years of playoff disappointment, but I really think this Kings team is garbage and has no business being anywhere near where they are. I think we should win in 5, but I have a feeling I'm going to be feeling more than a little frustrated with the refs.

Anyway looking over some things, in the regular season Kings had an advantage in PP opps 16-10. An extra 1.5 powerplays a game. What a f***ing joke considering their defense against Connor and Leon is literally to hang off their back's. That's all the defensive stalwart Kopitar knows how to do. I'd imagine the refs to swallow the whistles even harder against us in this series. Thank god for our transition to good even strength play with Woodcock.

Another thing I looked at was record against playoff teams. Ours was 20-17-2. Kings 14-20-4. Looking at other records, Nashville was 18-18-5, Dallas was 20-17-3, Calgary was 20-11-7. Let's call this what it is, the Kings beat the bad teams to get here and had a pretty lucky season.

I don't really know why I'm posting this as I honestly don't want to jinx us or be too overcocky. I just really f***ing hate that team and I've seen a few preview videos essentially saying it's dead even, when in reality this would be a massive letdown if we lose this series.
4 of those PPs came off one infraction (McDavid boarding). It counted as 4 PPs because LA scored 3 goals as the entire team deflated. 13-10 isn't quite as drastic a difference.
Post automatically merged:

People are really overdoing about who's commentating the game... as long as they win I really don't care who talks lol.

I also think people need to give Singh another chance, his favorite team is the oilers and I would rather have someone who genuinely likes the team than another leaf homer...

Thanks for speaking up. Came into this thread after being away all weekend looking forward to posters talking about what might happen in the series and was treated to 4 pages of bickering about PBP and colour. Though I guess you and I are also now contributing to it.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
4 of those PPs came off one infraction (McDavid boarding). It counted as 4 PPs because LA scored 3 goals as the entire team deflated. 13-10 isn't quite as drastic a difference.
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for speaking up. Came into this thread after being away all weekend looking forward to posters talking about what might happen in the series and was treated to 4 pages of bickering about PBP and colour. Though I guess you and I are also now contributing to it.

I posted in the bring Jack back thread.
Because I like Jack.

I don't dislike HS, personally he just bores me. I do think he's a capable play by play guy and will only improve.

My issue is Jacks' our guy. Why do we have to hear ANYONE else?

Reactions: bone and ujju2

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I am hoping for controlled ass kicking tonight. I have no doubt with McDrai rested and the raucous crowd that the Oilers will come out flying. But in that flying they’ve been known to make mistakes, keep the energy high but don’t make stupid little mistakes. Let’s go Oilers! Win 1 of 16 on the way!

Reactions: bellagiobob

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
An interesting stat looking at the season series as the leading playing in PIM is..... Connor McDavid with 19 PIMs. Granted 10 of those were misconduct and another 5 a major, but only one player has more counted penalties than his 3 and that's Kane with with 4 penalties, 8 PIM in only 3 games, and only Nurse has the same number with 3 penalties and 6 minutes.

The rest of the Oilers team combined add up to only 5 penalties and 10 minutes

No King player has more than 2 penalties or 4 PIM.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Just binging hype videos all day.

“But in Edmonton it’s hockey and church and the Oilers.”
-Wayne Gretzky

Good stuff! McDavid has to fight through checks/clutching and grabbing like he did in that video. Also punish the guys doing it to him whenever he can with clean and hard checks.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com

Since coming back Josh Archibald ranks 557/557 for forwards with over 45min played for xGF% with 21%​

He also ranks dead last (out of 557 players) for xGF, xGF/60, and ranks 556/557 for GF%.
In short - since returning from injury Josh Archibald has been the worst player, not only on the Oilers, but the worst player in the National Hockey League.
His line mates?
Ryan McLeod went from ~47% xGF without him to (and this is not a joke 0.71% xGF% with him OVER 2 GAMES).

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Since coming back Josh Archibald ranks 557/557 for forwards with over 45min played for xGF% with 21%​

He also ranks dead last (out of 557 players) for xGF, xGF/60, and ranks 556/557 for GF%.
In short - since returning from injury Josh Archibald has been the worst player, not only on the Oilers, but the worst player in the National Hockey League.
His line mates?
Ryan McLeod went from ~47% xGF without him to (and this is not a joke 0.71% xGF% with him OVER 2 GAMES).
So what you’re trying to say is there is only upside with him? ;)

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

His line mates?
No doubt he looked awful in his first few appearances. But I thought he played pretty well Friday. Still wouldn't put him in over Brassard, who looked a bit better even, but just saying. Particularly as I don't want to see him taking over aggressive penalties at inopportune times.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad