Was signing Karlsson and letting Pavelski walk a big mistake?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
That’s why they were up 2-1? “The series wasn’t close.” It obviously was at some point....

Which was the two games where we were really hurting with injuries and Jones goaltending was at its worst that series, especially game 6. We also had no Pavs or Hertl in game 6 while EK was playing one one leg.....why you continue to ignore this and act like that didn’t affect the sharks play is silly. A healthy sharks team would have given them a better run, would they have won? I don’t know, much like how you can’t say they would have lost regardless. Things happened the way they did, no need to try to flex and act like it would have happened with a healthy sharks team.
ek also did not play game 6.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
It's not like Pavs and his team are tearing it up right now. They are 0-3 like the Sharks and Pavs has 1 assist in those 3 games.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
they had no business winning round 1 last year and it was time to move on from Pavelski in my opoinon. Their salary cap composition also didn't make sense to keep Joe Pavelski unless he was willing to take a Labanc like contract. they also gave up a lot for Karlsson so if he didn't sign him, it wouldn't look to good for the sharks.

That's just wrong.

giphy.gif

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That roster is soooo unbalanced salary wise and has way too many question marks.

On paper though if everything clicks they could power through Anaheim 2007 style.

They don't have the defence nor depth ANA had. Not even close. Plus JS Gigure was better at that point than Jones is now.

I don't think Karlsson is the same caliber player he used to be. At his best he absolutely deserved all the praise he got and possibly more, but he's not that guy anymore

Yea, I feel like that 2017 playoff run us where he gave his everything and that was it. He's still very good, but clearly that took a lot out of him and he may not be the dominant player he once was.

I still to this day have no idea how TB thought they would be able to afford EK and get everyone else signed that they did.

The thinking was Karlsson would take less money because A) TB has arguably the best roster in the league B) All the stars have taken less to help out C) Hedman is a close friend, also took an easy 4 million less than he could have got D) With their deep defence, he wouldn't have to carry the load the way he did in Ottawa - a lot easier on his body.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
at this point it's counter productive to have two of the same kind of "elite" player on the back-end

i wonder if the sharks won't try to bring Burns back on the wing or try something like that this season

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
at this point it's counter productive to have two of the same kind of "elite" player on the back-end

i wonder if the sharks won't try to bring Burns back on the wing or try something like that this season

Why? Seems like a great problem to have, to be honest.

I don't think Karlsson/Burns should be looked at as the problem so far. From what I've seen...
  • Vlasic's steep decline removes the shutdown stud they once had
  • Where have Timo Meier, Tomas Hertl and Kevin Lebanc dissapeared to?
  • Both goalies are sitting under .900 sv%...not the be all and end all but not a good start

I am not sure they match up well down the C with other top teams, though. That's where Stastny/Hayes/Tavares would have really helped. Not sure if Joe would have stayed if he was put on the wing, though.

Last edited:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
no, the mistake was not retaining draft picks, trading out way too many assets and not having some to back it up. the mistake was also thinking they could fill their 5-6th defensive spots with fringe players. sorry but true.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
I think it's fair to assume that this is a transition year for San Jose.

In acquiring Karlsson, and in the time since, the Sharks have shipped out:

Pavelski
Braun
Donskoi
Tierney
DeMelo
Balcers

Nothing critical, but that's a lot of depth. What makes that more problematic is that in the past 4 drafts, the Sharks only have one first round pick still in their system: Merkley. Nor do they own their 2020 first rounder either.

It's tough to lose a lot of depth when you don't have first rounders to make it up. So this year might be tougher than usual.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Karlsson is 29. He's not done.

Not 'done' as in that he's in the twlight of his career, but 'done' in the sense of him being the best or one of the best defensemen in the league. You can see it, he's no longer the horse he was in Ottawa and I don't see him getting back to that level. Seems like he's even been usurped by his teammate Brent Burns at this point...

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
no, the mistake was not retaining draft picks, trading out way too many assets and not having some to back it up. the mistake was also thinking they could fill their 5-6th defensive spots with fringe players. sorry but true.
They have 3 goals in 3 games. Their problem has been their best forwards have been mia to start the season.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I think it's fair to assume that this is a transition year for San Jose.

In acquiring Karlsson, and in the time since, the Sharks have shipped out:

Pavelski
Braun
Donskoi
Tierney
DeMelo
Balcers

Nothing critical, but that's a lot of depth. What makes that more problematic is that in the past 4 drafts, the Sharks only have one first round pick still in their system: Merkley. Nor do they own their 2020 first rounder either.

It's tough to lose a lot of depth when you don't have first rounders to make it up. So this year might be tougher than usual.

I don't necessarily think they need the 1st rounders with their drafting and development success, but I do think that is a ton of depth, and personally I'd rather have the shipped out side than the Karlsson side. But there are some intriguing new pieces that I think will turn heads soon. Bergmann and Yurt are both 21 and are playing solid defensive games. The Sharks euro scouting department has been very good the last couple of years. Simek was a helluva find That no one is talking about outside of Sharks circles. Once he's back I think he'll continue to gain notoriety.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00