Was signing Karlsson and letting Pavelski walk a big mistake?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
they had no business winning round 1 last year and it was time to move on from Pavelski in my opoinon. Their salary cap composition also didn't make sense to keep Joe Pavelski unless he was willing to take a Labanc like contract. they also gave up a lot for Karlsson so if he didn't sign him, it wouldn't look to good for the sharks.
This. That about sums it up.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Would've thought Karlsson would look much better with an offseason to regenerate and heal up and it would get some of his lets call it "spunk" back but so far he has not. Still he only played 3 games so far and Karlsson is not the only star player who hasn't looked good yet.

At this point i'm happy the Sens didn't like the Stars package that was centered around Hintz and took the Sharks one instead

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Because of the EK trade, Ottawa will have two lottery picks in 2020 if the Sharks miss the playoffs.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
His defensive play is streaky at best. He’s always been inconsistent, putting on a clinic in bulk sums, only you have droughts were he was very mediocre in his own end. He’s been up and down in his own end since joining the sharks, his offense has been huge though for the most part, but that’s always been EK.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
His defensive play is streaky at best. He’s always been inconsistent, putting on a clinic in bulk sums, only you have droughts were he was very mediocre in his own end. He’s been up and down in his own end since joining the sharks, his offense has been huge though for the most part, but that’s always been EK.

I agree that his defensive effectiveness is inconsistent. Whether it's because he can be taken wide now with his pivot issue, or just a general lack of defensive awareness.

His defensive strengths are linked to his offensive ones, which is why people think he's one-dimensional.

He can skate the puck out of danger, his zone exit passing has generally been stellar (if not league leading), and he's very good at takeaways. He's not great at marking guys around the net, clearing creases or holding up guys by the boards. One thing he's surprisingly good at is blocking shots.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Would've thought Karlsson would look much better with an offseason to regenerate and heal up and it would get some of his lets call it "spunk" back but so far he has not. Still he only played 3 games so far and Karlsson is not the only star player who hasn't looked good yet.

At this point i'm happy the Sens didn't like the Stars package that was centered around Hintz and took the Sharks one instead
Karlsson has always been a slow starter. He always looks better in the second half of the season. Some seasons I wondered how much training he did over the summer, or if his plan was to play his way into shape. He did just have his first kid which can have an effect on some players.

Reactions: Sensators

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Karlsson has always been a slow starter. He always looks better in the second half of the season. Some seasons I wondered how much training he did over the summer, or if his plan was to play his way into shape. He did just have his first kid which can have an effect on some players.

Well we'll have to see i guess. Maybe he needs to change some things now that he's getting older and has such a massive injury history. Its different as a young player without too much milage and nagging injuries.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Also, Karsslon has been on the ice for one goal against so far. Like, how does losing Pavelski turn into Karlsson-bashing.

I'll admit that Karlsson isn't as good defensively as the analytics people have said but he's also not nearly as bad as his detractors want him to be.
he's probably below average defensively. It's amazing at the simple plays he fails at

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I agree that his defensive effectiveness is inconsistent. Whether it's because he can be taken wide now with his pivot issue, or just a general lack of defensive awareness.

His defensive strengths are linked to his offensive ones, which is why people think he's one-dimensional.

He can skate the puck out of danger, his zone exit passing has generally been stellar (if not league leading), and he's very good at takeaways. He's not great at marking guys around the net, clearing creases or holding up guys by the boards. One thing he's surprisingly good at is blocking shots.
His defense is good if you see his offensive and ability’s to control the play as such, but his offensive mentality does leave him in bad positions defensively. He’s also lost of step IMO with his skating, which doesn’t help his defensive game at all. He isn’t meant to be a defensive player though, although he can play in his own end, that’s not his strongest game.

He isn’t meant to take the heavy minutes, neither is Burns. We need better guys that can handle the more defensive side, allowing EK more freedom. But our offensive attack is based mainly on EK and Burns break out of their zone, having two guys that can be your best offensive guys, but struggle a lot defensively, control the play....it does bring some trouble, as we have seen this season so far and even in the playoffs.

When he’s on.....he’s on, and when Burns is on too, it’s lethal. I worry about the times where their play in their own end seems to dip more dramatically than anything else, and it’s very noticeable.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Giving either guy the contracts they got was a mistake. However, every team must spend at least a certain amount, so UFA's are going to get overpaid. Part of doing business. It would help real market value if there wasn't a frenzy on the first day, and teams could let the lack of UFA talent sit out there for a while, and everyone starts signing for cheap come August, but that would be labeled collusion by the PA, probably on July 2nd, and then that opens up a whole different can of worms.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
as a guy who has been wrongly predicting that this season will be the year san jose finally collapses for quite a few seasons now, they have been on borrowed time. you can't just keep infilling forever and living off guys in their mid 30s. ask detroit.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Sharks are basically the new Canes at this point. Mediocre forward group, some really good dmen, shaky goaltending.

Maybe watching the Canes all these years made me feel like the Sharks are questionable this year in the first place, like mentioned before the season started.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'm pretty sure I'm better than Karlsson is defensively. LOL

rErlTPS.gif

ypGDauJ.gif

KCfdbpj.gif

Reactions: Bandit

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The biggest mistake was letting go of their C and bringing back Marleau. I guess the Shark wanted old blood again. They may as well bring Mike Ricci out of retirement too.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Nope. Karlsson hasn't been great this year and Pavelski will be missed, but Karlsson is in his prime and a legit superstar whereas Pavelski is near the end of his career. If Karlsson continues to disappoint, that's a separate conversation. Letting Pavelski go was the right move, imo. Don't get me wrong, I loved Pavs, especially as he made his mark as #3C in (IIRC) the 2010 playoffs. He's just not Karlsson good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->