Was signing Karlsson and letting Pavelski walk a big mistake?

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
So to be considered good you have to win? Somebody tell McDavid to pack it up.

Never said that. No one said anything about being "good."

The comment was that Pavs is a player you win with but EK isnt.

My point was that since neither player has won, im not sure how one can make the determination that either player is a winner.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Not a chance, dude. Blues would have steamrolled them anyways.

yeha i meant to add a sarcastic face

Lol the Blues are probably one of the worst teams to ever win a cup, wouldn't be surprised if they miss the playoffs. The Sharks would steamroll the with a healthy lineup.
Hmmm, well the series wasnt that close. The blues won in six and the sharks were gifted a game. It was the breeziest series for the blues.

On topic, i think that EK is somewhat superfluous on thaf roster

Reactions: BlueMed

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
They let their still productive captain go and signed an oft injured player to a long term deal, their best player is 34, what could go wrong?

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
The answer to this question is who the heck knows.

Certainly not anyone in this thread proclaiming after 3 freaking games they know the answer is yes or no.

I was never hot about the idea of signing Karlsson to this contract, or even trading for him in the first place, buts its laughable that anyone thinks the answer is clear already. Especially the people pretending like we could have really used Pavs against Vegas this year, when he cant even help his current team win a game yet either. Pavs was not the difference between winning and the ass whooping Vegas gave us.

This question wont be answered for at least a year or two, after which time we will know if Pavs actually was worth 7 mil, and whether Karlsson as able to mesh with the Sharks players and become the superstar he once was. Three games into their first seasons though, not a chance we know the answer to this question.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Actually neither.

They should have let Pavelski and Karlsson go. Both are older and Karlsson has injury issues.

Should have kept guys like Nyquist and Donskoi who are doing well on other teams. Would have still had cap room to sign a good top 4 defenseman or two!

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Watching last nightahainst the Ducks, there were a couple of very long shifts EK was on the ice and his change of direction from backwards to his right to follow a player looked very awkward.
He was definitely gassed but still looked like he couldn’t turn the way he should.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Pavelski wasn’t an impact player and was getting older. It was a good move. The problem now is we have two defensemen that drive the play, and provide more offense than a majority of our forwards, that’s the problem. It puts them in bad positions to defend because of their style, add the fact that the sharks have no “trigger man” on offense, no real elite top line centers or playmakers that can provide more. It’s the same problem we had last year, only worst because we have such a balance attack offensively with little goal scoring, and it shows. We need scorers and as much talent as we have, they still don’t provide enough and drive the play.
Not a chance, dude. Blues would have steamrolled them anyways.
Pretty dramatic wording there. They were up 2-1 in the series at one point with multiple players being injured. Injuries would have given them a better fight, but no one can say either team would have won if everyone was healthy, probably would have gone 7 games if anything. Having 3 of your top players injured will affect any team whether you want to believe it or not. The Blues earned their wins, but let’s not act like it was some ass kicking.

Jones didn’t help either. If he would have showed any sort of consistency as well, it would have been a better series. We shot ourselves in the foot more than the Blues out playing us
Karlsson is a superior defensive player to Burns.
Wouldn’t go that far. Both are streaky defensively. Both, when on their games, are among the best.....but it comes in spurts. When it’s good, they are elite....when it’s bad, it’s really bad. But EK is definitely not superior in any way to Burns, same goes for Burns.

Reactions: Phu

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Now, Karlsson is paid to be a game changer, a franchise alterning player. Seems like he will still be agreat defenseman but not the force that we saw early in his career (3 years or more ago!!!)

This is pretty much how I see it. I dont think people (who think hes the same player now) remember just how good this guy was in his prime, which is strange because it really wasnt that long ago.

The dude literally tilted the ice at even strength. And it was rare for him to not be the best player on the ice most nights.

Hes just far less flashy now - and its not like the flash was traded in for a safer defensive game, if you know what Im saying....

Reactions: abo9

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Pavelski wasn’t an impact player and was getting older. It was a good move. The problem now is we have two defensemen that drive the play, and provide more offense than a majority of our forwards, that’s the problem. It puts them in bad positions to defend because of their style, add the fact that the sharks have no “trigger man” on offense, no real elite top line centers or playmakers that can provide more. It’s the same problem we had last year, only worst because we have such a balance attack offensively with little goal scoring, and it shows. We need scorers and as much talent as we have, they still don’t provide enough and drive the play.

Pretty dramatic wording there. They were up 2-1 in the series at one point with multiple players being injured. Injuries would have given them a better fight, but no one can say either team would have won if everyone was healthy, probably would have gone 7 games if anything. Having 3 of your top players injured will affect any team whether you want to believe it or not. The Blues earned their wins, but let’s not act like it was some ass kicking.

Jones didn’t help either. If he would have showed any sort of consistency as well, it would have been a better series. We shot ourselves in the foot more than the Blues out playing us

Wouldn’t go that far. Both are streaky defensively. Both, when on their games, are among the best.....but it comes in spurts. When it’s good, they are elite....when it’s bad, it’s really bad. But EK is definitely not superior in any way to Burns, same goes for Burns.

Blues outscored them 10-1 in the last 2 games of the series. The series really wasn't even close.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t know how bad letting go of Pavelski hurt them, but I think the Karlsson contract will. I think he’s been slowly heading south since the big injury. I would surprised if he’s effective for half the contract, and I don’t know that his best will be good enough to make it worth it.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Blues outscored them 10-1 in the last 2 games of the series. The series really wasn't even close.
That’s why they were up 2-1? “The series wasn’t close.” It obviously was at some point....

Which was the two games where we were really hurting with injuries and Jones goaltending was at its worst that series, especially game 6. We also had no Pavs or Hertl in game 6 while EK was playing one one leg.....why you continue to ignore this and act like that didn’t affect the sharks play is silly. A healthy sharks team would have given them a better run, would they have won? I don’t know, much like how you can’t say they would have lost regardless. Things happened the way they did, no need to try to flex and act like it would have happened with a healthy sharks team.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I don’t know how bad letting go of Pavelski hurt them, but I think the Karlsson contract will. I think he’s been slowly heading south since the big injury. I would surprised if he’s effective for half the contract, and I don’t know that his best will be good enough to make it worth it.

Karlsson sucks, biggest mistake the Sharks made was signing him to that contract.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
Nope purely looking at age, it was the right move.
It’s probably not going to be the normal aging process that brings down Karlsson. It seems like he has some scare tissue from previous injuries (achilles?) that’s throwing off his whole lower body.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Its funny how teams sign these big name players, to "improve" positions that they didn't need to in the first place.
Its not like Sharks actually needed to improve their D, right? Why did they go for Karlsson?...reasons i guess.

You got Karlsson, but you have gotten rid of 3 (relatively) essential pieces of your D: Justian Braun (this summer), Joakim Ryan (this summer),Dylan Demelo (in the Karlsson trade), you thought you'd improve your D?, but actually what youve done,
is the complete opposite.

After acquiring Erik Karlsson
- Sharks D is a total mess now, your goaltending is questionable (even thou Martin Jones at best is still really good,unfortunately...at worst, he is really really bad) ,Thornton is still there, but you let your best player (Pavelski) go, no Donskoi, you got Nyquist last season, who was great for you, buuuuut, you decided to only rent him and not keep him, Kevin Labanc has completely forgotten how to hockey and Kane is more idiot than ever.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Its funny how teams sign these big name players, to "improve" positions that they didn't need to in the first place.
Its not like Sharks actually needed to improve their D, right? Why did they go for Karlsson?...reasons i guess.

You got Karlsson, but you have gotten rid of 3 (relatively) essential pieces of your D: Justian Braun (this summer), Joakim Ryan (this summer),Dylan Demelo (in the Karlsson trade), you thought you'd improve your D?, but actually what youve done,
is the complete opposite.

After acquiring Erik Karlsson
- Sharks D is a total mess now, your goaltending is questionable (even thou Martin Jones at best is still really good,unfortunately...at worst, he is really really bad) ,Thornton is still there, but you let your best player (Pavelski) go, no Donskoi, you got Nyquist last season, who was great for you, buuuuut, you decided to only rent him and not keep him, Kevin Labanc has completely forgotten how to hockey and Kane is more idiot than ever.

yes joakim ryan and dylan demelo are essential pieces of any championship teams d-core

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Actually neither.

They should have let Pavelski and Karlsson go. Both are older and Karlsson has injury issues.

Should have kept guys like Nyquist and Donskoi who are doing well on other teams. Would have still had cap room to sign a good top 4 defenseman or two!
29 "older"
hf is such a wasteland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad